30 ft Above Ground Pool - Brown algae on the bottom

kvfreeman

Nov 13, 2023
NC
I have had this pool for 3 years with no problems. However, this year, I have brown algae all over the bottom. It's too find for my vacuum to pick up. It's November, so I have emptied the pool except for about 1 foot of water. But, the brown, dead, algae is still there. Before I drained the pool, the water was crystal clear. All chemicals balanced. But, I can't get the brown, dead algae out of the bottom. I don't know what to do. Any advice would be appreciated. When I fill the pool again in the spring, I would like to start with a clean pool!

Welcome to TFP.
An algae problem is due to lack of chlorine in the water.

Now that you have drained the pool to only a foot or so, pour chlorine into the pool. Then brush real well. I would then add water at the same time that you vacuum to waste if you have that capability. Once algae is dead, you have to remove it and with only a minimal amount of water in the pool, vacuuming may be the only option. Basically, you have to circulate that algae out of your pool.

You could also use a submersible pump to drain as you continue to fill replacement water but that may not pick up all the algae unless you brush towards the suction of the submersible pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.