DE Filter Manifold - vent tube or vent holes?

Billbud

Jun 22, 2023
Macungie, PA
Hi all,
Been going crazy with the pressure in my pool. It only stays acceptable for about a week after disassembling and cleaning grids. Last year I bought grids and a manifold. The new manifold is different from the old one in that is has vent holes, and not the long skinny vent tube. At this point this is what I'm thinking is the problem. I hoping to get thoughts on this before I drop the cash on a manifold with a vent tube. Anyone have experience with vent holes?

Welcome to TFP! Seems like you may have a couple issues:

Venting: Tell us what make/model DE filter you have so we can help confirm the venting configuration.

Pressure Increases: This may be a chemistry issue, completely separate from the vent tube. To confirm, please post a full set of water test results. DE filters are notorious for increased pressure when overloaded with organics, even if you can't see them.

Also visit our -------- > Pool Care Basics page.

Hi all,
Been going crazy with the pressure in my pool. It only stays acceptable for about a week after disassembling and cleaning grids. Last year I bought grids and a manifold. The new manifold is different from the old one in that is has vent holes, and not the long skinny vent tube. At this point this is what I'm thinking is the problem. I hoping to get thoughts on this before I drop the cash on a manifold with a vent tube. Anyone have experience with vent holes?
Which filter, brand? Many aftermarket manifolds have that vent-hole arrangement. If your pressure is rising it is not because of the way air is released from the filter. I've repaired OEM manifolds that have had the air-release tube damaged by plugging what is left with PlastAid and then drilling a series of about ten 1/16" holes in the manifold. Never been an issue. Would never have thought to do that until I installed an aftermarket manifold that had that.

Welcome to TFP! Seems like you may have a couple issues:

Venting: Tell us what make/model DE filter you have so we can help confirm the venting configuration.

Pressure Increases: This may be a chemistry issue, completely separate from the vent tube. To confirm, please post a full set of water test results. DE filters are notorious for increased pressure when overloaded with organics, even if you can't see them.

Also visit our -------- > Pool Care Basics page.
Hi, thanks for your response. The filter is Hayward DE4820. Interesting you mention a chemistry issue.
Hi,
I have a Hayward DE4820. I can get an update on the chemicals later. Last I checked (Saturday) PH, Alk, Chl, Hardness were all good. As these reading are usually on or need small adjustments, and my water is beautiful, I never thought it could be a chemistry issue. I'll send reading later. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Last I checked (Saturday) PH, Alk, Chl, Hardness were all good. As these reading are usually on or need small adjustments, and my water is beautiful,
DE filters are really good at masking algae problems.

It's very likely that your "all good" chemistry is off. If your FC has dropped below the minimum level for your CYA, you probably have an algae problem that you can't see... yet. I had the same problem before I found TFP (clear water, constantly clogging filter).

The best thing you can do is to get yourself a quality test kit, like the TF-100 or TFP-Pro and run your own tests. Test Kits Compared

Once you have a kit, we can tell you what tests to run.

How are you chlorinating?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.