Dante's Playground Revitalization | An adventure in rehabbing, on your own

Kim - the test pieces seem to fit "just" under the old concrete, and that's really pressing them in. Now, one thing to be said, I only took the top portion off the existing (I think it's called "zip-strip") plastic, so i have a flat "ledge" about 3/4 of an inch down. I shouldn't need any sand or anything underneath the trim-a-slab. This stuff is pretty flexible, so, I'm (hoping) that even after a couple seasons, if worse comes to worse, I can yank it out, clean the gap with the pressure washer, and slap it back in. Only time will tell though.

As for the beast - helper? Ha! (I did leave some paw-prints in the concrete though....)

At least this project didn't involve HD or Lowes.

- - - Updated - - -

Both of those products are available on Amazon.

My my pool deck has the same texture as yours.

Yep - but if you don't know "what" your looking for, it's impossible to find. The prices are the same from amazon as they are direct, so no big deal either way (although I get free shipping through amazon.)

The texture is "Kool-Deck" I'm actually surprised how well it has weathered the years. We'll see how well it takes a new coat of paint though.

Replacing kool-deck is quit involved. Scarafing the surface to raw concrete, priming, splattering the new finish then curing under plastic seems like more than what an individual can handle. Are you planning as a diy or are you hiring a crew.

LOL a Beast pitty pat paws! We have some to show from our cats as well!

We had one cat that "helped" the roofers! As soon as the ladder was up so was she! They had to get her out of the attic a couple of times. She even "helped" them with their lunches! LOL They loved it!

Kim

Enjoying your thread! Interesting to see that Trim-a-Slab product - reckon I have some ideas for that :)

Also love the standardized units of measure (no. of beers, trips to Lowes, etc.). My favourites are "quarter-slab" "half-slab" and "slab" where a "slab" = 24 beers

Can't wait for the next "install"ment :)

Replacing kool-deck is quit involved. Scarafing the surface to raw concrete, priming, splattering the new finish then curing under plastic seems like more than what an individual can handle. Are you planning as a diy or are you hiring a crew.

Yeah, that's not going to happen on this project. I'm just going to give it an acid wash and slapping a layer of paint over it. Aside from where it's been patched (I removed an existing awning from the house, and the fence, so there are some bolt holes here and there,) some cracks, and the holes I filled in from taking out the diving board stand, it's not all in that bad of shape. It should look better if it's at least all the same color :)

hmmm......well, today started off positive, but I'm going downhill fast.

managed to make it out of bed early with only a couple of Miller High Life cobwebs still stuck in the noggin', so I decided, why not, it's supposed to be nice out this weekend, let's paint.

I already picked up 2 gallons of "Canyon Blush" white for the coping, along with clean-n-etch and TSP. Typical trip to lowes, $100 bill. (Along with stock in quickcrete, I should have bought stock in Lowes too....too late now!)

Anyway, so, good heavy TSP washing (I used a big box, heavy application, and a stiff scrub brush, all is well)

Clean-n-ethc, check. (in case you're wondering, this stuff is actually de-scented cow pee, and boy oh boy is it yellow!)

So, now the trouble....I put a couple of slaps of paint down to test the colors. Well, low and behold, NONE of it sticks to the existing paint. I mean, none. It comes right off with the hose, no scrubbing required. (which is weird, since I tested it for scratching by dragging a cast iron chair across it, and it held up fine!)

Since it is going around the edge of a pool, I'm concerned that it just comes up when it gets wet. No bueno....time to look up options.

Brett? Do you mean the new paint just washes off?

When I pull up "clean n etch" it says it is for bare concrete. Is there one for painted stuff?

I have to say I was VERY worried about that. That cool deck and such stuff looks almost "plasticy" to me so did not think paint would stick to it :(

BUT the other pics shows the some paint that seems to be sticking.............I wonder............did the clean stuff do something or add something ?????

Kim

Kim - yes - the new paint just sort of "Washed off". Now I do have to admit I just kinda slapped it down - never TSP'd or etched the existing stuff. So, I figured I have the word of the customer service folks at Lowes that the paint will stick since it's been "properly prepped" - if not, Valspar is getting an earful, and they have a guarentee anyway.

So started saturday morning with a good heavy TSP and acid wash. You can kinda tell the old color, and the surface is wet at this point. You can see the splotching.

Trim ring (coping, whatever you call it) Actually in this picture you can see how well the etch worked. The surface of the old stuff becomes really dull looking. Fingers crossed!

3/4 of the way done. Started running out of light, had to finish under the glow of a construction light. This one REALLY shows the color difference.

And, finished product.

It looks 100X better, especially since it's all the same color. It's really really light though. Thank heavens I used a satin finish paint.

- - - Updated - - -

Side project number one was running new rope light along the edge.

If you don't play with this stuff, you don't know what your missing. It's cheap (big lots, ~$30 for a 50 foot roll) it lasts forever and it's waterproof. Oh, and it's weed-whacker proof. I pinned it in with cheap-o gardon pins that are usually used for weed block. I plan on running another 50 feet along the arch of my roof line (along with LED lights)

Lousy night shot from my phone. I'll bust out the tripod and big camera one of these nights.

side project number 2 (actually, it was #1) while I was waiting for paint to dry - new audio. If you have a covered patio like I do, and mostly stream music, skip the gaziliion dollar bluetooth speakers and get a soundbar. I think I spent $55 on this one. 42 inches, multi-driver, and a subwoofer. The install is a little ugly since I couldn't find any zip-ties. The sub fit perfectly between my rafters. Although, I do have to admit this was a measure 4x and cut once, that turned into a measure 4x, cut once, make a trip to lowes because you measured the wrong thing, and cut again. (add $12 for a 2x2x4 and 75 garden pins)

Oh - you can also see the LED lighting I have on the covered patio. This stuff IS NOT waterproof, but it just sticks on (it has tape on the back side.) I have another 60 feet of this that I'm going to do the arch of the house with also. The LED lightning can be had on Amazon for about $1 a foot.

Last but not least, Saturday the fedex guy showed up with a big box. Yay trim-a-slab! Bob got the product out the door for me in record time. I think my order posted on Thursday, and I got it by Saturday. Will try and get it installed tonight.

Last update - for those of you in Cali and the lower SW, you're probably familiar with the nasty line of weather coming through. At about 11:30 last night it was blowing 60+MPH at my house. I could have sworn it was raining sideways, but not a drop (lucky, since I have fresh paint down!) Anyway, I know it's a dark picture, but I woke up to find my gazebo canopy trashed :brickwall: so, that's gonna be $50 or so to someone on Amazon.

DIY Acid wash?

Since I've re-done almost everything else out in the pool area, now I'm looking at the pool itself and wondering about doing an acid wash.

The question is how long can I leave the pool drained? I've looked at the hydrology reports and the ground water table is about 200 feet down (it's Arizona, after all)

If I drain it for an acid wash, I want to finish painting the coping as well as fix the darn light that keeps coming out of the wall once and for all.

Main reason for the acid bath is to get rid of all of the calcium deposits (at least I think that's what they are?) on the bottom and walls. So it's a scrape and acid wash :mad:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That paint did make a BIG difference! Now for new "rules" NO pulling stuff across the patio, wheels on all chairs, etc to save that pretty paint job!

Trashed IS the correct word for your poor top! OUCH!

Those lights look neat! We have them around our pool. I will have to get a picture of it one night. I love the look of them!

Kim

The funny thing about the test paint was that it was BOMBPROOF to scratches, scuffing, etc. I dragged a chair back and forth it 50 times. Nothing. No marks, no nothing. As soon as I hit it with the hose it came right off.

Now to figure out how to get grass to grow (and flip a coin if I want to acid wash it or not.) I'll have to throw the GoPro in and take some pictures of the lumps that it has.

Can you summarize for us the procedure and what products you used to prepare and paint the pool deck. This is on my to do list.

I like the color you selected and may do something similar with my deck. I do not have separate coping, the concrete deck overhangs the pool edge.

Wasp - it's pretty simple, but labor intensive. (My back is killing me.)

You'll need:

Chemicals - TSP - I used 2 of the $10 boxes (not sure how much they weigh, but they are the BIGGEST box that Lowes sells) 2 boxes, 2 passes.
Acid Etch - I used Clean-n-etch, and muriatic acid. You can probably skip the clean-n-etch if you have existing paint and just go with muriatic acid. Carefull though, this stuff is nasty!

Tools for cleaning:
A long handled acid cleaning scrub brush - $13
Hose and Nozzle
Pressure washer is even better.

Paint - I used Valspar Porch and Patio Paint for Concrete. The white is "canyon blush" and the gold is "Beachcomber"

Cleaning procedure is straight forward.

1 - Hose down the entire patio area (if you can pressure wash, do this now)
2 - First pass with TSP - mix it about a cup to a gallon with HOT water.
3 - slap it on and start scrubbing.
4 - rinse and move to the next section.

For the second go around with TSP I wet everything down and sprinkled the TSP on directly and scrubbed.

Rinse again.

Acid etching - basically, just pour on the muriatic acid, brush it around and let it sit. Then rinse it - at least twice.

Oh - if you have random stains, dry powdered laundry detergeant along with the TSP works great.

The paint job looks amazing! I have those same expansion joint things that stay full of ants! Mine are still in okay shape but would love to take them out period! It's a shame about your pergola. My sister has lost 3 of those to high winds.

Wondering, can you put rope lighting on the coping above the water on pool? I want to say I saw it done on one of the threads here. If it's safe, how could I attach it? And, keep it straight? If it were crooked it would drive me nuts.

Loving your thread!

It would not be safe - electricity next to water. The only type of lighting that is ok to use of that nature/location is fiber optic since it isn't electrical, but light. And that's fallen by the wayside with the dawn of the color changing LED era.

As stated above you cannot place electrical within five feet of the pool unless it services the pool itself (there are some exceptions for specific low voltage under the 2015 NEC). You cannot place a light fixture in the pool unless it is listed and wired as specified by the NEC. What you may have seen was fiber optic. Its just expensive.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.