CYA testing inside

BKB

Gold Supporter
May 29, 2020
New Carlisle Ohio
I saw the post it is best to test cya outdoor with your back to the sun, is there a trick for inside? I've added 5 pound stabilizer. The pool store said it was a 5 after adding. When I pour in, it fades at 50 but I can kinda see it. I don't have the sun option right now. Didn't know if I was being too exact about it disappearing. Thanks, Brenda

Do it with a consistent indoor light and don’t sweat it. If you read it as 50 then that is good.

Put a daylight bulb in the garage or somewhere it won't bother you. (Many hate the surgical white).

Test the next time it's real sunny and compare it to your regular lights, and the daylight area. Then use the closest one whenever it's more convenient.

is there a trick for inside? .... Didn't know if I was being too exact about it disappearing

Whether you do the test indoors or outdoors, you can calibrate your eye with this 50ppm CYA solution: R-7065 CYA Standard 50ppm (2oz)

Do the CYA test with it instead of pool water, and see what the dot looks like when the tube is filled to the 50ppm line. That's what the dot should look like when you test your pool water.

Also see what the dot looks like at 70, 60, and 40 ppm, so you'll have an idea of how much difference there is between the measurements.

I ran an Outdoors vs Indoors Comparison Test a while back. I found little to no difference in my test results.

Here's the thread :

BKB,

I too have not found any significant difference between doing the test inside or out. I also have other CYA testers and they do not say anything at all about being outside.

I suspect there is 'technically' a small difference, but since the CYA test is very subjective, I think the main thing is to do the test, the same way each time, no matter where you do it.

Obviously, doing it in a dark room with a 20 watt blub is not going to work well, but doing it in a brightly lit room should work just fine, in the big picture.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Scoop and Newdude
personally, inside is w-a-a-ay more comfortable and closer to an adult beverage
I do my tests out in my pool cabana with a fridge that is well stocked with adult beverages. And if you have enough of them then the black dots begin multiplying...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support