CYA High and Rising

Murray1723

Jul 6, 2023
Northern Alabama
I have 41,500 gallon gunite freshwater pool sanitized by chlorine and ozone. My CYA level on 5/19/23 was 137. I quit using stabilized chlorine tabs and instead used a cup of Poolife Turboshock every few days for chlorine. On 6/30 the CYA was 165 and today on 7/6 it’s 184! What could be causing it to continue rising when I haven’t used stabilized tabs since May? I have a motorized cover that sits in a well, so we lose a fair amount of pool water into the well that gets replaced with city water by an auto-feeder.

I’m taking a sample to a reputable local pool supply store (same one each time). I reached out to my pool builder and he said don’t worry about CYA even in 200-300 range as long as the water is clear and easy to manage. He said city water can contain CYA. Use non-stabilized tabs in the skimmers and let rain water into the pool and it will be fine.

• Wow
Reactions: Mdragger88
Sorry to tell you but aside from your outrageous cya level (if it can be trusted) making it pretty impossible to keep a sanitary pool
FC/CYA Levels
.... "Min FC" is 7.5% of the CYA level
.... "Target FC" is 11.5% of the CYA level
.... "Shock FC" is 40% of the CYA level
you are also likely sorely under chlorinating.
Here’s what that cup of cal hypo does:
IMG_6764.png
The average residential pool uses 2-4 ppm of fc daily give or take depending upon conditions.

You have a very large pool which is a substantial investment. You need a proper test kit to take care of your investment & keep it sanitary .
Test Kits Compared
Clear doesn’t automatically equal sanitary.
You shouldn’t make any adjustments based on the pool store tests.
When you get a k2006 or tf100/pro in do all the tests & post the results so we can help you get back on track.

Reactions: Kaylee34
or should I not assume the test results are correct unless I do them myself?
Bingo. Test error. If you are not physically adding CYA (stabilizer, trichlor, or dichlor), then it is not able to increase in your pool water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.