Custom PVC Pipe Adapter for Intex Pools

dccordell said:
Has anybody tried the modified fittings on these twist-plunge valves? These are the valves included with our new Ultra Frame pool. It has this "nub" that sticks out of the valve where the hose slides on and seals via the o-ring. The nut itself has no seal, as it is just used to hold the hose onto the "nub". I think I either need a fitting that will slide over the nub, or cut the nub off altogether.

I would just replace the entire valve with a ball valve, but I still have this same problem on the pump. Any ideas?
Pool side...

Pump side...

I just did this yesterday. I went to my local hardware store and bought some rubber gasket material. I used the electric conduit adapter everyone else has been using. I traced an outline of it onto the rubber material and then cut it out very slowly trying to make the most round edge I could. I didn't modify the plunger assembly in any way. I just slide the gasket all the up the assemble past the "O" ring and then slide the conduit adapter with nut on and snugged it up. It hasn't leaked at all.

Question, has anyone else had a problem with their hayward skimmer leaking so very very slightly around the seal? The leak is hardly noticeable. Wouldn't leak and inch of water in a year probably but I'm a perfectionist and can't stand that it has a small leak.

You may have not gotten the screw in the holes and lined up the gasket just right. Year one i had a tiny drip like you describe. When i took the skimmer off at close, i could see the installer had missed the factry holes on one side. This year i was sure to line it up in proper position and went in factory holes. No leak this year.

Guys anyone have one of those 1-1/2 box adapters laying around? If yes can you post the dimensions of it? I will machined those on lathe from PVC. I cannot find these anywhere

Pysiek said:
Guys anyone have one of those 1-1/2 box adapters laying around? If yes can you post the dimensions of it? I will machined those on lathe from PVC. I cannot find these anywhere

Lowes.com has em....

034481062653lg.jpg

Lowes

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Got it. I've just installed that same adapter on my intex skimmer with a 14" Intex 1600 gph pump a week ago, getting rid of the smaller pump and paper filter, and am having trouble with pump cavitaion when I try to vacuum. How are you using a vacuum and are you having trouble with pump cavitation?

Heofixr said:
How are you using a vacuum and are you having trouble with pump cavitation?
I do not have any problems with pump cavitation. I vacuum using the vacuum hose that came with my pool. You attach the hose to a round disk and then insert it in wall skimmer

Got it, that's the way I've been doing it, even with the old pump. It seems that this new pump cavitates easily, almost immediately after hooking up my vacuum. are you running the 1.25" or 1.5" hoses on your setup? I'm still using the smaller output nozzle mounted to the pool, it came with the pool and used the smaller pump, I'm considering cutting a larger hole and using the pool outlet that came with the pump since it's larger. Also considering a way to increase the size of the outlet from the skimmer basket to keep up with the output. The adapter seems to choke it down quite a bit. With a 3800 gallon pool, I should be filtering every bit of water in three hours but you can hardly tell I've been running the pump at all. Pressure is still at 5 psi on my filter, same since I installed it last week. Any ideas?

Gotcha, I'll double-check all lines again tonight or this weekend. I've already removed the plunger valve to eliminate two of the joints between the pool and the pump just in case I was leaking air there, still having the problem. As soon as I hook up the vacuum attachment to the top of the skimmer basket, my pump gets louder and my pressure drops to zero; I have minimal suction at the end of the hose even without the vacuum attached. Would that be considered cavitation, not sure? Even if I remove the vacuum attachment from the skimmer basket, nothing changes until I restart the pump, then it all goes back to normal.

Roger, I've read that some guys use the pool inlet to fill the hose first so I'll try that also. I'm also thinking about changing out the 1.25" pool return to the 1.5" that came with my new sand filter, will this make my air leakage problems worse by pushing more water and sucking more air. I'm thinking about doing this PVC mod to eliminate some of the air issues that I'm having. I've also thought about adding another 1.5" line to the pump from the pool, with a T-fitting prior to the pump, so that the pump gets water from my skimmer and this new line while I'm vacuuming. Does anyone know of a threaded T-fitting that I could test with before going through all the way with the PVC first? I'd hate to have the same issues after going through the time and effort to install PVC on all.

It sounds like your pump problems are being caused by you not (completely) filling the hose with water before connecting it to your pump intake side. Once it pulls in that air from the hose, as you have noticed, it's not doing squat until you restart the pump.

Try to fill the hose first and see if that fixes most or all of your problems. Then decide where to go from there...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.