Cracked Pool Step

hezzer

Mar 31, 2014
Ohio
I have a small crack in my acrylic/fiberglass in ground pool step. What is the best method for repairing the step? I have seen where people have drilled some large holes to refill the sand underneath the crack and then repairing the holes with fiberglass patches and then painting the fiberglass. Would you need to gel-coat the fiberglass first, then paint with epoxy paint? I have a vinyl lined pool that I am not replacing the liner. I have repaired the crack successfully for the past two swimming seasons but the repairs are only temporary. I had a good bit of water leak out of the pool over the winter. I want a permanent solution without replacing the steps!

Thanks for your help!

Welcome to TFP :)

You can do amazing things with fiberglass... You can put a hole in it, fill with small gravel or concrete not sand as sand washes away and probably how you have the problem now... Then fix the fiberglass patch then gel-coat over that... gel-coat is the last part and what you see as white or whatever color your stairs are...

You can do DIY or you can hire a mobile boat repair company to do it for you...

Here is a down and dirty video... :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.