crack in gunite pool

Apr 4, 2018
Knoxville
Hairline crack developed in bottom of old gunite pool and apparently caused a slight leak. Crack has been filled with pool putty and leak apparently ended for now but what might i expect in the future? I will continue to monitor the situation. What else, if anything, would you suggest doing now, based on following info? I apologize for the lengthiness of this post, but it is a scary situation.

25,000 gallon in-ground gunite pool, with concrete slab decking, built in 1981 at the edge of a steep hillside -- the land had been graded/terraced to obtain a flat area for construction of the pool and the adjoining house. The ground is heavy red clay. One side of the pool is parallel to, and right up against, the downhill side of the remaining slope. We bought the place in 2007.

two causes for concern which existed in 2007:
1. The ground on the downhill side of the pool had apparently sunk down several inches, such that a section of deck slab on that side was tilted downhill a few degrees more than might otherwise be expected, and the edge of one of the slab was completely exposed and even had a visible gap of a few inches between the bottom of the slab and the earth underneath it. Other deck slabs had also shifted and cracked, both on the downhill side as well as on the uphill side where a tree had been planted too close to the pool. Attached photo shows slabs had cracked in a ring pattern around the pool. The flowering trees (crepe myrtle) in the pic are on the downhill side.
2. The pool vessel itself is not level -- the water level on the downhill side of the pool is closer to the upper edge of the tiles than it is on the uphill side of the pool, indicating that the whole pool had tilted slightly downhill. I began measuring the delta a few times a year about 10 years ago and it has remained constant at 1 15/16 inches to the best level of precision i can achieve.

I have of course been hoping that the ground has stabilized since 1981.

My understanding is that the pool vessel shell and the decking are not a one piece construction -- that the decking slabs basically just sit on the ground surrounding the pool.

I had the deck sections slabjacked in 2012 and filled the cracks with self-leveling compound. The deck sections and filled cracks have seemed pretty stable since then, except for one section on the downhill side which seems to have shifted such that the edge along the pool has raised up a fraction of an inch.

I had the pool replastered with plain white plaster in 2017. I didn't do a good job balancing the water after that and the plaster shows it.

Last year i noticed the hairline crack, several feet long in the bottom. It had probably been there before, smaller, without my noticing. I could not tell that the pool was leaking. The crack runs semi-parallel to the area of the hillside which seems to have sunk the most.

After noticing the crack, I had a foundation engineer come eyeball the hillside. He probed the soil in several places and observed the vegetation and said he did not see any current signs of instability. There are several fair-sized trees on the hillside downhill from the pool, and he pointed out that their trunks are vertically straight -- which would not be the case if the ground had recently been shifting downhill. At least nothing significant.

This month i had a diver come and do a dye test on the crack, and he said there did seem to be a slight leak in a 12-inch section. He filled the entire crack with pool putty and did another dye test and saw no more leaking.

I will monitor things -- bucket test for leaks, watch the crack, have the diver back for another dye test at some point, continue to measure the water level delta, monitor any further movement in the deck slab, monitor the angle on the fence around the pool to see if it seems to be moving downhill.

What else, if anything, would you consider doing at this point? Build the hillside back up by adding soil? Staple the pool shell? These would both be major projects and i'm not sure they would do any good. Also i'm not sure anyone around here knows how to do stapling.

Thoughts? Questions? Thanks.

Attachments

• pool.jpeg
    pool.jpeg
    422.6 KB · Views: 30
Keep an eye on the pool and deck and monitor both for any signs of further cracking or shifting. You have a baseline now of what to watch.

If it only needs this type of repair every 30-40 years you will be fine.

I would not do anything more invasive yet.

Hairline crack developed in bottom of old gunite pool and apparently caused a slight leak. Crack has been filled with pool putty and leak apparently ended for now but what might i expect in the future? I will continue to monitor the situation. What else, if anything, would you suggest doing now, based on following info? I apologize for the lengthiness of this post, but it is a scary situation.

25,000 gallon in-ground gunite pool, with concrete slab decking, built in 1981 at the edge of a steep hillside -- the land had been graded/terraced to obtain a flat area for construction of the pool and the adjoining house. The ground is heavy red clay. One side of the pool is parallel to, and right up against, the downhill side of the remaining slope. We bought the place in 2007.

two causes for concern which existed in 2007:
1. The ground on the downhill side of the pool had apparently sunk down several inches, such that a section of deck slab on that side was tilted downhill a few degrees more than might otherwise be expected, and the edge of one of the slab was completely exposed and even had a visible gap of a few inches between the bottom of the slab and the earth underneath it. Other deck slabs had also shifted and cracked, both on the downhill side as well as on the uphill side where a tree had been planted too close to the pool. Attached photo shows slabs had cracked in a ring pattern around the pool. The flowering trees (crepe myrtle) in the pic are on the downhill side.
2. The pool vessel itself is not level -- the water level on the downhill side of the pool is closer to the upper edge of the tiles than it is on the uphill side of the pool, indicating that the whole pool had tilted slightly downhill. I began measuring the delta a few times a year about 10 years ago and it has remained constant at 1 15/16 inches to the best level of precision i can achieve.

I have of course been hoping that the ground has stabilized since 1981.

My understanding is that the pool vessel shell and the decking are not a one piece construction -- that the decking slabs basically just sit on the ground surrounding the pool.

I had the deck sections slabjacked in 2012 and filled the cracks with self-leveling compound. The deck sections and filled cracks have seemed pretty stable since then, except for one section on the downhill side which seems to have shifted such that the edge along the pool has raised up a fraction of an inch.

I had the pool replastered with plain white plaster in 2017. I didn't do a good job balancing the water after that and the plaster shows it.

Last year i noticed the hairline crack, several feet long in the bottom. It had probably been there before, smaller, without my noticing. I could not tell that the pool was leaking. The crack runs semi-parallel to the area of the hillside which seems to have sunk the most.

After noticing the crack, I had a foundation engineer come eyeball the hillside. He probed the soil in several places and observed the vegetation and said he did not see any current signs of instability. There are several fair-sized trees on the hillside downhill from the pool, and he pointed out that their trunks are vertically straight -- which would not be the case if the ground had recently been shifting downhill. At least nothing significant.

This month i had a diver come and do a dye test on the crack, and he said there did seem to be a slight leak in a 12-inch section. He filled the entire crack with pool putty and did another dye test and saw no more leaking.

I will monitor things -- bucket test for leaks, watch the crack, have the diver back for another dye test at some point, continue to measure the water level delta, monitor any further movement in the deck slab, monitor the angle on the fence around the pool to see if it seems to be moving downhill.

What else, if anything, would you consider doing at this point? Build the hillside back up by adding soil? Staple the pool shell? These would both be major projects and i'm not sure they would do any good. Also i'm not sure anyone around here knows how to do stapling.

Thoughts? Questions? Thanks.
Hey neighbor! I had a similar situation on mine. It’s a major project so if it’s not leaking maybe cross your fingers and see how it goes. The putty isn’t going to last long of the crack is moving. The staples aren’t well known around here judging by the contractors I’ve had out to look at it.

Here’s mine: bperry’s pool renovation

a grassy field is at the base of the hill. Here is a pic showing the hill from the side -- the purple blooms you can see toward the top of the pic is a tree right next to the pool. The hill below the pool is thick with vegetation, with larger trees down closer to the base of the hill

Attachments

• hill.jpeg
    hill.jpeg
    226.4 KB · Views: 12
Hey neighbor! I had a similar situation on mine. It’s a major project so if it’s not leaking maybe cross your fingers and see how it goes. The putty isn’t going to last long of the crack is moving. The staples aren’t well known around here judging by the contractors I’ve had out to look at it.

Here’s mine: bperry’s pool renovation
hey neighbor! Wow -- i've read your thread and it is an epic saga, apparently still ongoing. I'm in awe of your abilities and effort.

i am absolutely crossing my fingers.

When i had my pool replastered in 2017 i talked to a number of places here in the knoxville area and it seemed that most of them used the same subcontractor, which i believe is still the case. One that apparently did their own work quoted a significantly higher price but it was nowhere near 65k.

What is the distance from the water in the pool to the start of the down hill grade?
In your description of the ground prior to the house and pool, it’s built on cut and fill to obtain a flat surface to build on.
The photo supplied shows signs of significant movement of the deck (ring around the pool) and how it has lost its support over the earth and is still properly supported over the Bond Beam of the pool structure.
The direction that the crack runs in the pool is also an indicator that the pool shell is moving downhill.
These are all signs that the pool structure is moving downhill and even a small amount of movement can be catastrophic to the shell while holding thousands of gallons of water.

What is the distance from the water in the pool to the start of the down hill grade?
In your description of the ground prior to the house and pool, it’s built on cut and fill to obtain a flat surface to build on.
The photo supplied shows signs of significant movement of the deck (ring around the pool) and how it has lost its support over the earth and is still properly supported over the Bond Beam of the pool structure.
The direction that the crack runs in the pool is also an indicator that the pool shell is moving downhill.
These are all signs that the pool structure is moving downhill and even a small amount of movement can be catastrophic to the shell while holding thousands of gallons of water.
The distance from the water to the start of the grade is only the width of the deck -- five feet or so.

The guy who slabjacked the deck in 2012 said it used quite a bit of fill, but i forget how much. He seemed like a capable person. As i mentioned in original post, the cracks have not changed since then. but one slab has raised up a fraction of an inch at the edge of the water (which suggests that the outer, downhill edge of the slab has sunk that much).

Things seemed pretty stable until the arrival of the crack , and yes i realize further movement could be catastrophic. The question is whether there is something i might be doing, besides just monitoring, to improve the situation. Bulking up the slope by adding a huge amount of soil, or building a retaining wall might help, but i think there is a possibility it might actually backfire. Last year i called practically every civil engineering place in town, and only found one that would do residential; that guy took a look at the hill and suggested continued monitoring. Thinking about it more, i will try to get an experienced poolbuilder to come look at it. Would very much appreciate any further thoughts you might have. Would you suggest draining the pool until i find someone who seems to know what they are doing? Thanks

Partially draining the pool has many advantages, taking some of the downward pressure off the hill, buying you time and most importantly hopefully getting away from a catastrophic situation. I know of only one swimming pool engineering firm that is nationally known for why swimming pools fail, Pool Engineering Inc. in Anaheim Calif.
This should be your first phone call to a professional company that knows what they are doing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The distance from the water to the start of the grade is only the width of the deck -- five feet or so.

The guy who slabjacked the deck in 2012 said it used quite a bit of fill, but i forget how much. He seemed like a capable person. As i mentioned in original post, the cracks have not changed since then. but one slab has raised up a fraction of an inch at the edge of the water (which suggests that the outer, downhill edge of the slab has sunk that much).

Things seemed pretty stable until the arrival of the crack , and yes i realize further movement could be catastrophic. The question is whether there is something i might be doing, besides just monitoring, to improve the situation. Bulking up the slope by adding a huge amount of soil, or building a retaining wall might help, but i think there is a possibility it might actually backfire. Last year i called practically every civil engineering place in town, and only found one that would do residential; that guy took a look at the hill and suggested continued monitoring. Thinking about it more, i will try to get an experienced poolbuilder to come look at it. Would very much appreciate any further thoughts you might have. Would you suggest draining the pool until i find someone who seems to know what they are doing? Thanks
The danger in draining is that the plaster is at risk for degrading unless it’s under water. I wouldn’t leave it exposed for long length of time, especially in summer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.