Joshua Miller

Jun 20, 2023
Mason, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have a couple of questions looking for help. I've had a pool most of my life and I have never had issues like I have now. I'll start with the beginning I've always took a sample to local pool store for opening the pool and followed their direction to a T. Last year they had my put stuff in I've never used before. Not sure on what it was. But water turned cloudy and never cleaned up. Opened pool this yr and same results water cloudy and wont clean up. I've now drained pool and filling back up. I've order the taylor test kit 2006c. I've looked multiple places and my pool is anywhere between. 17500 g to 20000 g. It's a round 27 ft 54 inch deep. Someone have a exact amount? Where is the best place to purchase chemicals? Any brands to avoid. I've read thru the abc's of pool chemicals and hopefully I can follow it to a T

Welcome to TFP Josh!

Good choice on the Taylor Kit. It looks like you've been doing some reading. Keep up the research by reviewing Pool Care Basics. You'll find a couple of sections on recommended on non-recommended chemicals. Download and get to know PoolMath.
17500 g to 20000 g. It's a round 27 ft 54 inch deep
There is a section on the Old PoolMath Webpage that will assist in estimating pool volume. Remember to measure depth at water level, not to the top of the rail. You can later find the link at the bottom of the page.

As you wait for your kit, add 30 ppm of CYA to reduce FC loss. Add 5 ppm of liquid chlorine daily until your test kit arrives.

BTW,

Keep the chlorinator for now. You can use tablets as long as you control CYA levels. Use of tablets is not usually a sustainable means of sanitization. Consider a salt water chlorine generator (SWCG or SWG).

Post up test results when you get them.

Pool math calculator says 4 lbs 13 oz of stabilizer how do I calculate 5ppm liquid chlorine? I don't see on the app where to put in that information. I think I updated my info on pool size. But the calculator on here says 19,300 gallons, walmart has pool essentials liquid chlorine. I can purchase that. Or I have bags of shock that I used before I drained pool to start over.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I live near Effingham illinois. I have this stuff available locally which is a liquid. I'll post pic of label if I can figure it out. Let me know if this stuff will work without affecting cya. Keep in mind this is a liquid ingredient IMG_0672.jpg

Yes! That is good stuff. That's 12.5% sodium hypochlorite, or liquid chlorine/bleach. Bleach does degrade over time when exposed to heat and sunlight. You want to make sure the product is relatively fresh. You may find a Julian code which is five digits. The first two digits are the year and the third fourth and fifth digits are the day of the year. Try to find stuff that is less than 90 days old.

Use the FAS/DPD (powder and drops) test for FC/CC. Use 10 mL sample size. Follow the instructions on your test kit and post results in the following format.

FC (use 10mL)
CC
pH
TA (use 25mL)
CH (use 10ml)
CYA
SALT (if you have that part of the kit) (use 10 mL)
Water temp

Here are some more-detailed instructions:

Reactions: Newdude
Am I'm supposed to do fas-dpd test ot just dpd?
Fas/dpd a.k.a the powder test. The comparator block is only TC and doesn't tell you much. It could be 4 FC and 0 CC for 4 TC, or 2 and 2. Those are two totally different paths needed.

What test do you guys all need to make my cloudy water go away
All of them, but particularly CYA, FC and CC.

Fc 9ppm
Cc 1ppm
Ta 230 ppm
Ch 180
Cya 65
Ph 7.6
80 degrees f

The dropper part is missing on r0004 so I used my other test kit. I also have a chlorinator after my sand filter with tablets in it

Last edited:
Wow. The CYA is high seeing how it's been so soon since the last drain (per the 1st post). We always round up to the next 10, so call it 70.

If the water is cloudy, SLAM Process is the cure. It's a 'process', but follow it to a T and you'll be golden.

You'll notice from the chart, you'll need considerably more FC to SLAM at 70 CYA than 30 CYA

lc_chart.jpg

Draining half would help considerably, and at that point you might as well do more with it. You need to leave about a foot of water to hold the liner in place. Upon refilling, it'll be about 25% of the battle that you would have had.

Or. SLAM at 70 and simply need more chlorine. The process doesn't care.

Reactions: Rancho Cost-a-Lotta
Great advice from @Newdude. The big question is how do you plan to chlorinate the pool going forward. We know that tablets are simply not sustainable. Your choices are either liquid chlorine or a saltwater chlorine generator. If you do plan on adding an SWG in the future, a CYA of 70 is acceptable. With liquid chlorine, CYA levels should be maintained at lower levels (refer to chart).

So I always have to keep level at 5 and during slam I need to maintain 28 until it clears up. To be honest I used some of my powder shock bc I wanted to deplete it if I'm going to liquid shock. I'm assuming I screwed myself putting it in. Next question I don't mind cloudy water. Will Cya lower on its own. I've been using these tablets Clorox Pool&Spa XtraBlue 3-inch Chlorinating Tablets, for Swimming Pool Use, 5lb - Walmart.com and this shock Clorox Pool&Spa Shock Plus Pool Shock for Swimming Pools, 6pk - Walmart.com
I'm guessing I should stop

Last edited:
So I always have to keep level at 5
Minimum. Basic idea is you target 9ish daily, burn 4ish, and never drop below 5. Things get easier outside of swim season.
slam I need to maintain 28 until it clears up.
Yep. Read how to complete the SLAM Process. NO SHORTCUTS. understand the criteria for completion:

CC is 0.5 or lower
AND you pass an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
AND pool water is crystal clear with no visible sign of algae (dead or alive) on floor and walls
Next question I don't mind cloudy water
:brickwall: Don't know how to answer that one. Maybe stick with the Pool Store
Will Cya lower on its own
Slowly. Not sure about your climate there, but in sunny So Cal, the sun burns off 10 ppm every few weeks. Water exchange is the best way to reduce CYA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.