Converting to salt...part II

One thing you'll learn from this site is that, despite the bogus claims made by the pool stores to get you to buy shock powder, rain makes little to no difference to pool water chemistry.

Just do the calculation to determine how much 1" of water adds to your pool volume ... It's likely about 1%. That's not enough to make any measure able change in your chemical levels.

You can still do an OCLT in the rain. Just make sure you get a sample from arms depth under the water surface.

Last bleach add was at 4:30pm, to bring FC to 14. Just tested it after 4.25hrs and some rain, and it's still 14. Will test again in the AM. fingers crossed!
CC tested at .5.

EDIT: In the few minutes it took me to come inside and post this, the CC sample turned pink again. Is that normal?

Yes. It's caused by the dye re-oxidizing back into a pink form. You add drops until it clears and then record that as your CC. Don't worry if it goes back to pink again. The sane thing can happen with the FC part of the test. You'll get it clear and if you let it sit, it will start to turn slightly pink again.

Most likely just water circulation. Nothing to lose any sleep over. Sounds like SLAM is over. Today will be a good day to leave SWG off to see what it drifts down to after sun down.
Hopefully, no more than 3-4 FC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3-4 loss is hopefully the high end of loss. I generally lose 2-3 in mid summer. The recommendation is 60-80 CYA for SWG. I try to stay close to 80 by the start of swim season - with all the rain this year I was down to 30 in March. It really helps protect the FC, which allows you to run SWG less.
If I was you, let it drift down today and measure at sun down. If it 11 or better, I think you are fine. If less than that you might still have something brewing.
If you are in good shape, let drift down another day.
Once I hit around 6-8 on my nightly test is when I would look at turning on the SWG. You need to be under 10 so that you can properly test pH.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My SWG runs whenever my pump runs. One of the best piece of advices I learned at TFP is to run the pump for as long as necessary to keep my level water cleanliness. That happens to be 5 hours. Decide what is good for you and set your SWG to 50%. Run it for a day. Let say you started at FC 7 and ended day at FC 7. Well then you are genius and you already have it dialed in. If not, you just adjust the percent accordingly and see what happens next day. What you want is to start and end a day with same FC

The 2-4ppm loss per day rate is only applicable when your FC/CYA ratio is at recommended levels. At shock levels the loss rate is much higher.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.