Converting to salt...part II

I'd SLAM the pool; you're right on the hairy edge of badness. Something got started growing in your pool when the FC was too low. Whatever it is, it will be destroyed very quickly and I doubt your SLAM will last more than a day or two. Since your water is clear and this is a new fill with a new pool, you could even just try to SLAM with a shock level of 20% of CYA rather than the full 40% of CYA. Just remember you have three criteria to pass in SLAM -

1. Water is clear:
2. CCs are 0.5 or less;
3. OCLT is less than 1.0.

Let's see what others think.

Not sure I follow on the 20% vs 40% CYA? If I'm at 70, you're saying I should treat as if I'm at what level?

I'm all for the SLAM. I can't imagine having to run my SWG at 90% for 16hrs a day to keep the FC up. That electricity bill will get old, fast. I'm hoping that post SLAM I can drop the pump run time and maybe even the SWG %.

FC is always calculated as a % of CYA. For shock FC levels, we typically recommend an FC value that is 40% of CYA, so 28ppm FC in your case.

However, that shock value is what we recommend when someone is try to clear a green, nasty swamp pool. Your pool is not that bad...yet. So my gut feeling is half that value will work just fine, so 20% of CYA or 14ppm FC.

Up to you, I'm just trying go easy on your new plaster.

As for your SWG's performance, we can figure that out later. Do you have a variable speed pump (I can't see your signature right now)?

I'll go with FC 14. Might take longer, but if its safer on the plaster that's fine with me.
I'm off to get pH down to ~7.4, and then treat with 225oz of bleach. Let the SLAM begin...

Yes, variable speed pump; Jandy VSSHP270AUT.

During the SLAM, the only tests you need to perform are the FC/CC tests. No other results are needed and note that once your FC is above 10ppm, the pH test will give false high results.

You can let the SWG run or turn it off, up to you. But for overnight measurements (OCLT), the SWG needs to be off.

For clarification, during the SLAM I want to keep FC at my target (14, in my case) all day, and then see what I lose overnight? If it's > 1 I will keep maintaining at 14 the next day, and repeat.
Once the OCLT is < 1, I will confirm:

1. Water is clear
2. CCs are 0.5 or less

If those are true, I can let FC drift down to normal levels and then play with my SWG % and pump run time to achieve FC of 4?

It's really the other way around - you wait for the water to clear and the CCs to go down to 0.5ppm or less, then you do an OCLT. In your case, the first two conditions will happen quickly.

Yes, you need to maintain 14ppm as tightly as you can. You can always dose a ppm or two higher to account for burn off.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, my water is clear and my CC is less than 0.5. So I guess I keep it at 14 all day and then see what shakes out overnight?

Well, just measure and dose a few times today to keep it at 14ppm. We have seen threads where the CCs can pop back up after being low. Then definitely perform and OCLT tonight at 14ppm.

Can one SWG controller handle two cells?

I'm looking at my FC demand and using the SWG run time calculator that I found on this site. Assuming my 24hr FC demand doesn't drop after a SLAM, it looks like I'll have to run my SWG at 90% for 17 hours each day. As that will be a large electric bill, I was wondering if I could add a second PLC1400, and thus drop my pump time down to 8.5hrs.

Can one controller handle two cells? My current controller is an AquaPure M/N APUREM. Salt cell is a Jandy PLC1400.

Re: Can one SWG controller handle two cells?

Those were my thoughts exactly, but the calculator says that 16,000gallons with a 24hr FC demand of 6 with 24hr production of 1.25lbs yields a SWG setting of 90% for 17.1 hours of run time.

6 ppm is not a normal amount of demand. In a well balanced pool you should be running 1 to 3 ppm for summer (probably closer to 3 for TX) and less in winter. Sounds like either the SLAM did not complete or you have low/no CYA

Those were my thoughts exactly, but the calculator says that 16,000gallons with a 24hr FC demand of 6 with 24hr production of 1.25lbs yields a SWG setting of 90% for 17.1 hours of run time.

I've asked the Mods to merge this thread back with you other one. Let's keep all your questions together or else running parallel threads is going to be confusing.

I have an IC40 SWG which produces 1.4lbs/day and the same exact pool volume as yours. You will not need 17 hours of run time. Let's get you through the SLAM first and then see where we go. Also, you have a variable speed pump so we can dial that into the lowest speed necessary for SWG flow requirements and that will save you a lot on utility costs.

POP - Pool Owner Patience .... crack open another beer and relax, we'll get you through this.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.