Converting pool from Ecosmarte to "normal"

Dec 18, 2014
Belle River, Ontario
I moved into this house about 5 years ago and it has the EcoSmarte system. I never had any problems with it, water has been great with little trouble(yes I know you guys do not like the system). But now my Titanium plates need replacement and they cost $569 USD (about $800 CDN) I can not justify that cost, so I am switching over to a normal chlorine pool. I will have to sequester the metal and get the rest of the levels up to normal before I add chlorine (do not want to stain my pool). After the levels are normal (the pool store gave me instructions on how to do this) what is the average chlorine you guys add each week? (My pool is about 35,000 L )

You're really going to want to just dump a large portion of your water. Get the metals out of it, no worries about sequesterants or clearing away any nasty things that were living in the unsanitary conditions typical to ion system.

I wouldn't suggest switching to a "normal" chlorine pool. The kind of water that comes from a pool store is the kind that convinces people that ionizers are great. Stinging eyes, chloromine smell, cloudy water after rainfall, etc. If you are going chlorine, TFPC is the way to do it. Comfortable, sanitary, and completely clear water all season long. Just a much better system all around, and more cost effective as well.

Reactions: Shirker
You're really going to want to just dump a large portion of your water. Get the metals out of it, no worries about sequesterants or clearing away any nasty things that were living in the unsanitary conditions typical to ion system.

I wouldn't suggest switching to a "normal" chlorine pool. The kind of water that comes from a pool store is the kind that convinces people that ionizers are great. Stinging eyes, chloromine smell, cloudy water after rainfall, etc. If you are going chlorine, TFPC is the way to do it. Comfortable, sanitary, and completely clear water all season long. Just a much better system all around, and more cost effective as well.

I assume there is a guide on how to do it? Can you link it (assuming I do not find it with the search function :D )

Here are a few from Pool School that lay out the basics:

And then a good quality test kit is essential to getting reliable information to base your care on. We know the pool stores do love to tout their free testing, but it really is just a way to get you in the door and buying products and not known to be very reliable. Accurately testing your own water keeps you in control of your pool. Test Kits Compared

I know I threw a lot out there, might seem overwhelming. And it is at first, or it was for me. It comes together over time though, especially once you start doing it yourself and see everything in action.

I had already purchased the stuff from the pool store before I posted this thread, so forgive me that I did not do it like this forum says.. I will use the methods here from now on

So they told me to add 4kg of Alka+ (2kg at a time with a 6 hour interval).. I did that yesterday
Today I was to add this
Vinyl-Shock-454g.jpg

I added that around 10am.
I do not have a test kit yet, but I do have strips and some drops for Chlorine and PH (yes I know the strips are not 100% accurate)

my most recent test was

FC=0
CC = 1
Ph= 7.4
TA = 80
CH = 400 (yes I know it is high my old system required high CH.. I have already drained some water and replaced, plus we did get rainfall today and are expecting more in the next few days)
CYA=0
Temp= 76

I backwashed the filter yesterday.. and I vacuumed the pool today

My question is.. do I wait overnight to see what difference the Vinyl Shock does or do I start doing what the pool math app says to do?

Until you get a quality test kit, Add a gallon of bleach daily. Don't worry about CH, with vinyl it doesn't matter. If you really have 0 CYA, you need to get some of that in there, HOWEVER, if you are going to drain and fill to remove metals, add the CYA after the drain and fill

I have the metal levels low enough that I do not need to drain

Is there a specific product to get the CYA up?4

The gallon of bleach I assume that it is less if I use pool Chlorine which is 12% IIRC

Do I wait to add anymore stuff until I have give that vinyl pool shock time to act or do I add it now?

The gallon of bleach is a guestimate, kind of a more is better insurance policy, or a holding action. That stuff you added is DiChlor, which contains some amount of CYA. You can use any dry stabilizer using the sock method (put the stabilizer in a sock and hang in front of a pool return) Pool math says 0 to 40 CYA in you pool requires 56 oz by volume. I would add half of that, then test with a QUALITY test kit.

I am looking for a test kit .. tftestkits does not ship to Canada and although I am close to the border I can not goto Detroit due to the shutdown.. until i find one i will use a combo of the strips i have, the pool store's chemical test and the hardware store's digital test

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Found a place that sells the Taylor 2005 here in Canada. $140 CDN plus tax plus shipping for the normal kit. Over $200 for the larger kit (2005C) plus tax and shipping.

Needless to say I will wait until the border is open and order from TFKits and have it dropped at a pickup place in Detroit.

In the meantime I will use the combination of the strips, pool store, and hardware store to test my water

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.