Gold Supporter
Nov 13, 2022
Spring Branch, Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We are a new pool owner, very new, as never owned one, and just started learning about pool chemistry. PB filled the water Nov 1, dropped some pucks in our inline chlorinator, and set it for 1 1/2. The first test 2 weeks later;
FC- 1.8
CC-.38
CYA-25
After learning so much on this site and being very grateful to all members, I moved to BBB, "partially". We went on vacation for the holiday and not fully knowing about the effects of bleach, I set the chlorinator to 1/2 for 9 days and when I returned from vacation, immediately turned it off and went to bleach at 7.5%. I dropped bleach to the amount suggested by PoolMath. This past Monday, two days ago, using my new Talyor 1515 that I just received, I tested for FC at 6 and CC at 0. The tube was colorless. Great I thought. Today, two days later, I had the water tested at a nearby store which was highly recommended by many neighbors.
My results from the store were;
FC= 2.14
CC= .42
CYA= 20
I immediately went home and tested the water with the Talyor 1515(which I read is THE most accurate for FC/CC) and the results were;
FC-3.5
CC-0 (again colorless)
Confused and not knowing who to trust, I then used the PB testing kit which only had FC. Hard to tell due to the color of gradation, but clearly 3 if not above.

So I'm really confused members!! First, how did my FC drop from 6 to 3.5 in 2 days...ok, the last two days here in Central TX had been in the 70's but the water temp was still below 60 but did jump to 64 yesterday when the temps went to 80! But today outside temps are in the 50's with the water temp at 61. This is TX...up and down weather temps! Second, how can my CC be any different than the store, and if so......who do I trust? The store is suggesting I shock the pool to bring down the CC. Can the store electronic testing be off?

Third, my CYA is pretty low, and reluctant to add anything. Can I assume because its very low, the bleach is not holding well, like for a week in the winter? And does this affect my CC as well? Should I add a puck in and set it for 1 so my CYA gets to a range of 30-50 then turn it off?

Finally, as a laugh or not, my wife wanted this pool, designed it, worked with the PB, and threw in all this tech stuff for a 6000 gal pool along with the inline chlorinator. She has informed me after spending $1,000 on the puck stuff tech I went to a system that is questionable and maybe I'm over my head, Ha I said!!! Ok, personal matters are not supposed to be on this site...HAHA...but y'all get the drift! HELP!

Trust your Taylord test. Super accurate.

You should test and add chlorine daily. I can lose up to 5.5ppm FC a day in the summer. Losing 1-2/day in Texas in winter is not a surprise.

Always remember to follow this chart link—>FC/CYA Levels

Reactions: WBW
WBW,

Most pools use 2 to 4 ppm of FC per day. This goes down in the winter and down further since you have an auto cover.

With the weather we have had the past couple of days, I do not see a drop from 6 to 3.5 as being an issue.

Any CC less than .5 is not a problem and something you should not worry about. Keep in mind that a closed auto-cover will trap CC's and cause the number to go up. You need to routinely open the auto-cover and let the CC's vent out.

I have a saltwater pool, so it makes its own chlorine. Something I highly recommend.

That said, you have a fairly small pool, so using pucks might work for you, as you could monitor your CYA (Stabilizer) and when it gets above 60 or so, you could simply drain and start over.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks guys for the quick response! Quick question, not to worry about my CYA being so low? Should I use pucks for awhile to bring the CYA up which in turn, help make the bleach last longer? Again, thanks for the responses and shout out to fellow Texans!

Hello... welcome to TFP :)
One problem I see is that your only test kit is the K-1515 (FAS-DPD) and I don't see where you have a proper kit to test:
pH, TA, CH, CYA.
Those tests are also very important to maintaining your plaster and equipment, but also water comfort.

Please consider obtaining a full test kit. We suggest either the K-2006C found online, or the kits from www.tftestkits.net

Your testing is ALWAYS preferred to any pool store testing. We generally dont trust pool store tests.

Maddie 🇮🇹

Hello... welcome to TFP :)
One problem I see is that your only test kit is the K-1515 (FAS-DPD) and I don't see where you have a proper kit to test:
pH, TA, CH, CYA.
Those tests are also very important to maintaining your plaster and equipment, but also water comfort.

Please consider obtaining a full test kit. We suggest either the K-2006C found online, or the kits from www.tftestkits.net

Your testing is ALWAYS preferred to any pool store testing. We generally dont trust pool store tests.

Maddie 🇮🇹
The PH and TA were done this past month with the PB kit. I ordered the K2006 and waiting for delivery. Yes, I found out about store testing already as I did CC with K1515 twice and came up colorless and the pool store gave me out-of-range results. My FC was also higher with the K1515. Crazy considering they do it by technology? So confusing! Thanks for the response. Bill

Oh no...not confusing when you consider that technology is only as good as the user, are they really trained in the system?... has it been cleaned lately? How about Calibrated? Or, worse case...do the need to make some sales?

Maddie :flower:

So confusing!
1 Read my username. Be not confused. Eliminate the confusion. Do not go to the pool store for testing or advice. My namesake job is done.

2 Always trust your test kit (TF-100 or K-2006).

3 When you get your kit, and a full set of results, THEN we can make a recommendation on the CYA (and other adjustments). We don't know what your CYA is yet (see #1). We will when we get your kit onboard.

I would recommend printing this out, read it three times.

Actually, I'd print all of them out...will really help the first couple times...

You Got This Good Luck Today GIF by MOODMAN

Reactions: WBW and Newdude
Oh no...not confusing when you consider that technology is only as good as the user, are they really trained in the system?... has it been cleaned lately? How about Calibrated? Or, worse case...do the need to make some sales?

Maddie :flower:
Yeah, the more I read on this site and get a better understanding, it gets a whole lot easier! Agree with the miscues you mentioned. Thanks, Bill

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
1 Read my username. Be not confused. Eliminate the confusion. Do not go to the pool store for testing or advice. My namesake job is done.

2 Always trust your test kit (TF-100 or K-2006).

3 When you get your kit, and a full set of results, THEN we can make a recommendation on the CYA (and other adjustments). We don't know what your CYA is yet (see #1). We will when we get your kit onboard.

I would recommend printing this out, read it three times.

Actually, I'd print all of them out...will really help the first couple times...

You Got This Good Luck Today GIF by MOODMAN
Got it! Thanks...Bill

Thanks guys for the quick response! Quick question, not to worry about my CYA being so low? Should I use pucks for awhile to bring the CYA up which in turn, help make the bleach last longer? Again, thanks for the responses and shout out to fellow Texans!
Being in Texas summers, when the water temps can reach higher, you probably will find your CYA fall a bit each month. Mine is about 10ppm per month for those couple of months. I never buy CYA and keep a bucket of tabs handy. If I'm planning to go out of town, I also throw in a few tabs that will hold a week. As long as you know your CYA and know tab use will raise it real fast, judicious use of them can be beneficial for a liquid chlorine user.

Reactions: aussieta and WBW
Being in Texas summers, when the water temps can reach higher, you probably will find your CYA fall a bit each month. Mine is about 10ppm per month for those couple of months. I never buy CYA and keep a bucket of tabs handy. If I'm planning to go out of town, I also throw in a few tabs that will hold a week. As long as you know your CYA and know tab use will raise it real fast, judicious use of them can be beneficial for a liquid chlorine user.
Thanks for the feedback. Having a smaller pool with a cover, I'm monitoring the frequency of using liquid chlorine and pucks when on vacation or for other situations. The key you mention is watching my CYA and using the FC/CYA table. Thanks again, Bill

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.