Jul 26, 2023
Southwest Michigan
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi all,
Here are my water tests from Clorox test strips. Don’t really know where to go from here . Bought a new pool and it can hold 1200 gallons. Used to treat with 6% bleach alone every other day until water grew algae.

Hi,
After posting, I emptied about half of the pool water. Do you recommend to refill from there and treat? I wish to avoid emptying all of the water if I can as this is my fourth time emptying the pool this season due to unsuccessful pool maintenance. Any advice on what to do?

Hi All! I am a new pool owner and I have a question about my round 1200 gallon above ground pool. I filled my pool 3 days ago, but haven’t put anything inside it yet. Now it is cloudy and weird. I bought some test strips (Clorox test strips and HTH test strips) and tested the water now. Here are my results:
Total hardness 500
Total chlorine 0
Free chlorine 0
Ph 7.8
TA 40
Stabilizer 0
I was thinking to empty half of the pool to reduce the calcium level and refill with fresh water then treat.
I don’t know where to go from here.
Also, should I be covering the pool at night? some leaves do get in.

I don’t know where to go from here
You need a reliable test method. Strips are just awful and won't let you be trouble free.

Test Kits Compared

Or find a smaller drop based kit and add the CYA test kit and a Taylor k1515 kit for FC.

You need 30 ppm of CYA and liquid chlorine per PoolMath. This part we trust as we know your fill water had 0 CYA.

Your calcium is high from your fill water if you didn't add any. Draining and refilling won't help in that case, but the test strip could be off here instead.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ownerofapool
Thank you all for the advice! I will add liquid chlorine and cya that I bought, but I have a question on ph and total alkalinity. Will I need to adjust them if they get high? The Clorox app says that the ph is high and I need to lower it while the TA is too low and that the ideal range is 80-110. Do I need to adjust them too?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.