Coleman 12x24 Pool Filter/Pump Upgrade

gjones1x

Jul 5, 2023
Newfoundland
This is our first year owning a pool. Its a coleman 12x24 (about 7,000gal or 27,000L). We have the generic cartridge pump that came with the pool. Should I upgrade the pump. If so any suggestions?
coleman-steel-frame-pool-22-x-12-x-52--59c51011-2db4-45a6-a500-e0d69fae8892-jpgrendition.jpg

Should I upgrade the pump. If so any suggestions?
Good morning and welcome to TFP! :wave: Those tiny Intex cartridge filters are not very efficient. An upgrade could certainly be beneficial. How much of an upgrade depends on your budget and perhaps what you can get shipped to your location. There are a variety of pump/sand-filter combos for sale. If you shop for a combo, something in the 16 - 20 inch filter size should be plenty. Combos are convenient and may have an attractive price, but as an all-in-one unit you are stuck with the entire thing. If something goes bad, there's not much you can do to repair it. You also have the option of getting a separate pump and filter (sand or cartridge). If you go that route with a sand filter, again a 16-20 inch should be plenty with a 1/2 - 3/4 HP pump. The pump should be a 2-speed or variable speed pump - NOT a single speed. If you elect to go with a cartridge filter, an aftermarket single cartridge much like the Hayward C-1200 as one example, should work just fine.

You almost can't go wrong with any of these upgrades, so it depends on cost and availability. Hope that helps.

Here is a thread with some upgrade examples.

Here is a thread with some upgrade examples.

Thanks for the info. I was confused as to what to get...although budget is not a real issue some of the pumps are more than the pool itself.

some of the pumps are more than the pool itself.
That is very true. Then later you may question if you want to continue with the cheap flex lines or convert to hard PVC plumbing. The options go on & on. :crazy: But many people with basic AGP pools do go for a larger pump/filter set-up for two main reasons
1 - Less intervals between cleaning
2 - Improved water flow back to the pool.

Hey G and Welcome !!!!

Do you guys have any activity on Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Craigslist and/or any if the yardsale like apps such as Offerup?

Even the upgraded Intex style equipment is rather undersized and the bigger sets are not cheap. They do not perform as the price would suggest.

I'd deal with what came with the pool and stalk all the above places (or anything you have similar) for used traditional above ground pool equipment. I sold my own aboveground equipment for $150 when I took the pool down. The 200lb sand filter will last forever and the pump had several years left on it.

Even if it took a year to find the right setup, you'd be much better off in the long run. Food for thought. :)

While I guess you could, I would not want to run industry standard equipment on Intex sized hoses. The equipment is designed to operate with 1.5" to 2" sized pipes.
The pool stays up year-round and I am on my 3rd year. My neighbor is on his 6th year. The only things I do is dismantle the PVC (see all my unions) and brig it and the pump into the garage. Everything else gets winterized and covered.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.