Cloudy water

The one we got from the pool factory (where we got the pool) is called focus multi function shock and the active ingredient is sodium dicholor -s triazinetrion dihydrate, which is 99% and 1% other ingredients. We have on bag left. It's quick dissolving for shock, algaecide and stabilizer in one. looks like 10 oz bag.

The one we bought a ton of 2 weeks ago was from At Home Recreation. They said to shock it once a week (this is pre TFP days!). The active ingredient in the Ultimate Backyard Products shock treatment is calcium hypocholorite at 68% and 32% other ingredients. Available Chlorine content is 65%.

I'm thinking the first one we have is better? I can more of that if it's good or the liquid stuff while I'm at walmart, I'll probably get that while I'm here, that way I have it, and not have to order it.

You can use the dichlor (first one). It will add a little CYA, but not much so it's okay.

The other is called cal-hypo. It will raise FC but also your CH. Thatis okay, but don't use it exclusively for your FC. It will keep.

If you still have problems with a leak, you can start a new thread in "The Pumping Station".

I got 6 jugs of the chlorinated liquid from Walmart for $2.50. I wanted to get more, but I had other stuff to get while I was there, and the cart was hard enough to maneuver with 6. I can always go again to get more. Do you use one gallon a day, or how much do you think I should use to get my levels up? Is the sun a factor of why the levels drop during the day? I know we want to start using the solar cover, but to be honest, we got it to keep the water warm, but it hasn't been too cold since we had that heat snap of 90 degrees plus a few weeks back.

I just want to get my levels up and try the oclt (I love tests!) and see what's going on. But I have to do the CYA as well. Looks like I need between 3 and 4 pounds and Russo221 is afraid that putting so much into the skimmer may block the water flow to the filter. I know it feels like the stabilizer is small pellets, but he's worried about so much going into the skimmer. Just want to make sure I don't go breaking the filter :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: Cloudy Water - Test Results

So I got the stabilizer and gonna do it today. It's a lot i need so hopefully putting it in the skimmer basket in a knee high won't break the pool. Lol.

Chlorine is good during the day but drops at night. We get nothing but sunlight all day. No shade. I wonder if i need to add more tablets to the floaty and or 2 jugs of the bleach. I got 6 gallons of liquid chlorine to use instead of bleach as well. Hopimg to get both my cya and fC levels up.

And I'm a germophobe. No strangers in my pool. Kids probably for my daughters bday party but other then that, just us and family.

Please don't go from thread to thread. You need to keep your history in one place because others may not know you have 2 threads. You also may not be getting a lot of views or answers because it's nice out and people are doing things, working, swimming, shopping, vacationing and just enjoying their free time. When you jump from thread to thread, it creates confusion.

Remember, you don't have to put the CYA right into the skimmer if that's bothering you. I usually put mine into the foot end (about toe to the top of the knee!) of an old pair of nylons (cut for the purpose of doing this) and I hang it in front of the return. Just give it a squeeze every so often and it will cloud up and dissolve. I haven't had any problems doing it this way. Takes a day or so to fully dissolve (depends on how much you are squeezing). For 3-4 lbs of stabilizer you could use two nylons.

It's easy, nothing to worry about.

Russo221 is out there cleaning the filter. the pressure gauge or whatever it's called has been steady at 10. They said if it goes up to 15, it needs to be cleaned. But I know the pool factory said, when purchasing it, that you need to clean the filter every 2 weeks. So right there, getting differing opinions (not from here....one was pool factory, the other was the pool store.).I told him to clean it, b/c we can't clean it for a week, and just in case, we don't want to screw ourselves. Then the stabilizer says to clean it first....so he's cleaning it...it's NASTY!!!!!!!

I need the 4lbs, so I'll be doing to knee highs :)

I wonder if we should just stick to the 2 week rule, and not sit and wait for the psi or whatever it is to get to 15 or more and then have to do it right then and there. If Russo221 isn't home, I don't think I can do it alone. I'd rather be safe the sorry. All that algae or whatever had was all over it. Gross!

Well, we did 4 lbs of the cYA. Within 2 hours, it was done. We put it in around 1030 and he just checked. My knee high was floating in the skimmer, empty. He said the pool is cloudy too, moreso then it's been. Hopefully this gets the cya level up! Putv done liquid chlorine today too so hopefully that number goes up too.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.