Cloudy water

Re: Cloudy Water - Test Results

With no CYA in the pool 3 is as high as you should go with FC. But, with no CYA FC will burn off quickly in the sun. Get the CYA going first.

i want to do the OCLT but my FC is below 3....and probably lower now since we tested our chlorine and it was between 1 and 2, not 2 and 4 tonight. Do you suggest I get 2 jugs of bleach in it to up the chlorine level to try to get my FC up?

Looks like I'm going to the store tomorrow to get stabilizer lol. The one we had was a 1.5 lb bottle with granular. I need 2 of them according to the chart on the bottle to get to 30ppm. Yay lol. Also, just a dumb question...while this is going on with the stablizer, can I use the pool?

It is safe to swim when
the FC is above minimum and below shock level for your CYA, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]
PH is 7.2 to 7.8
water is clear

The difficulty is the narrow window to manage FC with CYA at 10 vs how fast the sun will burn off the FC.

So, put 20 ppm more CYA in a knee high and squeeze it a lot to dissolve it quickly. And start managing your FC based on CYA of 30. Keep FC above 2 at all times and more like 4-5.

Now, do you suggest I do it towards the latter part of the day? We have our filter running 6am to 6pm. I know you want to put the bleach in when the filter will run after or during you putting bleach in. Should I do it, say 5pm ish, so at least for an hour the filter will run, then I can test it and hope it gets that high around 7 or 8 when the sun goes down? If so, I can do this tomorrow.

Okay got it. I don't think I'd get my FC up shock level high, since it's not that high unless we are shocking it, and I don't know the levels since we didn't have the cool test I have now :)

Oh, it said sock, but I guess I can use a knee high stocking. I'm excited to get the CYA higher so I can do the test and NOT see the black dot :) We didn't put bleach in it today as I figured we were gonna run the tests so I wanted to see what to do before adding more stuff in. I'll have my husband add 1 tomorrow morning, and maybe I'll add 2 tomorrow night around 5 (other thread) to get my FC up, while at the same time doing the stabilizer as well. Is that good for now?

Water is still cloudy but all my friends say it's fine to swim in (not growing any additional limbs, etc), I hope they are right!

yup, had the family over to go swimming today. Still cloudy, but it's blue....no algae or at least it's not slippery like last time when it was, then we saw the algae the next day. Blue, but just cloudy. Chlorine is low. OH, another note since I didn't realize this at ALL until today. I'm still learning, bare with me. Our pool has sunlight from sun up to sun down. I didn't realize that the sunlight will kill or eat the chlorine! If the sun is out, we got it. We have NO shade. I guess that's good for not having to have a heater, but sucky for chlorine. I'm sure this makes a difference, so not sure if I should add more tablets to our floater or more directly with the bleach?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

EDITED:

Got our kit yesterday and did the testing today. We have a vinyl liner as well...here are my results:

FC- 2
CC - .5
CYA - 10 (I think, I filled up the beaker and I could still see the black dot.)
pH - 7.5
CH - 175
TA - 100

I did the pool math, I need to add some bleach to get the chlorine level up. We still have the chlorine tablets in the floaty.

If the water is still cloudy, then you are not ready for an OCLT. Do you have any cyanuric acid (CYA) on hand?

One criterion of the OCLT is having clear water. If the water is cloudy, no sense in getting up early for an OCLT. Sleep well and let's attack this tomorrow. We'll be here!!!

btw, where is Parlin? Would you please add that?

- - - Updated - - -

Oops, cross-post. Only add enough CYA to get you to 30. Don't overshoot. On Poolmath, put 10 in the now column and 30 in the target to get your quantity.

Sock is fine too. I had to add a bunch earlier this spring and it didn't fit in the tube sock I stole from a kid so I stole a knee high from my wife and it worked great.

Cloudy water won't hurt you, people swim in lakes and rivers with algae and plants all the time. The problem is that FC below minimum level leaves a pool unsanitary with increased risk of person to person disease transmission because bacteria, viruses and pathogens are not killed quickly enough. So, as long as nobody is sick, has open wounds, diarrhea or other gross stuff you'll be fine. But, if there are a bunch of kids or strangers in the pool be careful.

Yup, i need like 60 some oz of liquid or 124 or something oz of the non liquid. I get what you're saying. I still need to get my chlorine levels up too. First thing in the AM it's 2. I know 2 to 4 is ok but it's on the low end. By 7 it was between 1 and 2. Boo. I bet it's bc we get sun ALL day. Absolutely no shade. The tablets are not that good imo bc it's slow dissolving. Hubby wants to get the additional leap frog thing that disperses the chlorine thru the filter. I may also but some liquid chlorine from Walmart. Wonder if i can get the stabilizer at Walmart to?

Parlin is central jersey. It's Sayreville, parlin is a section of Sayreville (Jon Bon Jovi's hometown )

Okay. Add NJ here<<< like I say IL.

Do NOT let hubby get the frog. Really. Please. Russo221 will be SO happy with your sparkly TFP pool. Honest!

Yes, you should be able to get stabilzer at Walmart. Look for as close to 100% cyanuric acid as you can find. Also, Walmart is selling 10% "pool shock" for $2.50/gallon. Get a bunch. Like at least 12 gallons. Put it somewhere foolish and dark.

Once you get your chemicals, we can get you going on a SLAM to clear that water! Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

- - - Updated - - -

Hahaha! Not foolish! COOLish!

I'm hoping i won't have to slam it. That once i get the chlorine level up, it will clear up. But you guys are the pros, not me lol. I'm just worried about the time it will take and pool loss time. I know while SLAMing, you can't go in. We did but a ton of shock from the pool store last week or so. I think 10 1lb bags. Non returnable. Good to know walmart has stabilizer too so i can do it in one shot.

Also, would a solar cover help at all? We have one but hAvent used it yet.

And lastly, pool water level dropped ;( it was at 3/4 of the skimmer and when Russo221 went to put the bleach in this morning he noticed it went down to 1/4 or 1/2 of the skimmer so I'm adding more now. Yesterday was very windy, so was last night and today. Walked around the pool, didn't see any wetness at a quick glance.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.