Cloudy water wont uncloudy ..

lol....thanks Gordyjamz...:) I plan an all nighter..Im armed with 25 gallons of bleach (hope I dont need more before morning) lol....but yes...right now I have become more stubbron than the algae....seriously when my pool clears up...you will hear my scream from where all of you live and tears of joy. LOL it's been a long few months of working on this.

CYA usually will not change unless its diluted, i.e. draining water and replacing. Day and night would not affect it. A variation of just 5ppm is not a real concern at this point. On another note, if your FC is at 25, I would hold off on adding any more bleach. According to the CYA chart, with a CYA of 30, your shock level should be 12. If you want to err on the side of caution and do a 20 FC, that's fine. I would wait till it drops below 20 , than bring it back to 20. Shoot for that for now. Until then just test regularly.

Guardwife2,
I've read all 6 pages of these posts and wanted to give you some encouragement... You are doing great and I think you're finally getting the hang of it. KEEP AT IT! We've almost all have been there at one time or another. It's been a long road but it WILL get better.

Any chance you have an iphone? If so, there is a pool calculator app available. I find (for me) that it's easier to use than the one online. It gives you easier/faster read outs of how much CL you need to add.

Keep it up!!

will do:) I didnt' add bleach the last time b/c I thought that was high and would wait till next reading to see what it was. But I will go with your suggestion of 20. I did add just alittle bit of water b/c I flushed a little bit out. My pump/filter is working fine but I needed to add just a little bit of water to it. so that is probably why the cya was different. I didn't add a whole bunch just a little bit. I will still shoot for testing every hour and see how it goes. will continue to post results. just so I can log them.

thanks esim13:) I will look for the app. I dont have an Iphone but do have an Ipod...maybe it will work for the pod.

thanks everyone...words of encouragement means alot.....:) so does the suggestions

I should clarify this morning I flushed some water out before starting the shocking process...wanted to backwash/rinse the filter out good. so I added a little bit of water tonight. but didn't backwash during the shocking process.

That could be where you lost the 5ppm CYA then :wink: In that case, 20 FC target should be plenty. I wouldn't go higher than that as a target. Wait till the FC gets below that before adding any more bleach. I checked the pool calc for ya. To raise FC every 1 ppm you should be adding 16 oz of bleach. This is assuming you are using the 6% household, and not the concentrated 12.5%. If you have a 16 oz Solo cup around it may help with the measuring. This will help you fine tune your adjustments later when the level drops. I'm heading off to bed soon, but I will check back in the morning to see how your doing. Good luck!

thanks:D will continue to post test results just to log them and yep using the 6% bleach. got a solo cup too so will use that to measure. thanks so much....and good night...ill be up for a while probalby all night. lol

did it go down so fast b/c I added water to it? or is that the norm? Just want to know out of curosity.

If you've added water since your last test, yes, depending on how much water. If not, then it's just that it's getting consumed killing the algae. Until your water starts clearing, expect to see the FC level drop quite often. That's why you want to test frequently to make sure you keep the level up so there's enough to kill all the algae. In one of my earliest posts, I stated that the CC is not a large concern at the beginning of shock therapy because of this. It has to do with the oxidation process, and the out-gassing of hypochlorous acid (which is the chlorine smell you may be experiencing at this point). All of which is part of the shocking process, and the amount of algae your dealing with.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
guardwife2 said:
makes sense...is it weird that I dont have that much of a chlorine smell? or maybe my nose is used to the bleach smell by now. lol
it's my understanding chlorine smell usually comes from a high CC not FC. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

took a brief nap and at 3am:

FC 25.5
CC1

FC was down 1 and CC was the same last test was at 1am....so not bad for a 2 hour stretch. Im going to lay down for a bit and get back up at 6am and retest.

*no bleach was added

6am: had a three hour nap

doing alot of hmmm this morning lol

FC 26.5
cc 2

question: why would FC jump back up to what it was at 1am? I didn't add bleach to it at 3am b/c it was so was over the 20 mark like we discussed. CC raised up 1ppm too. so am I to assume it is still killing something in the water? also no change in color of water:( still the greenish color in my pics. after I did the test I did not add any more bleach till advised on what to do next? I know im s upposed to continue the shock method till I have a ppm loss of one but what about plus of 1? lol im wide awake too so wasn't sleepy when I did the test...although I may go lay back down now for a while.

Hi again guardwife2, :)
Well, I never thought I would see you finally getting on track with a PROPER FAS-DPD test kit :whoot: and FOLLOWING the correct procedures to clear your pool up the TFP way.
:goodjob:
Stay on it now your realizing what we were trying to get you to understand in the beginning without a FAS-DPD chlorine test.
Stay the course now, the pool will have no choice but to do as it's told to do and YOU will win! :cheers:

Chuck

new test readings:

as of 9:45am

FC 25.5 (down 1.5 from 6am)
CC 0.5 (down 1.5 from 6am)

we have full sunlight now, even at 9am....so I expect this to go down. Ill continue adding bleach once it gets to the 20 fc mark as suggested above.

no bleach added...pool looks the same though..Ill post pics here in a min. Ill check filter and see if it is running high if so Ill backwash/rinse. stay tuned

as you can see from the pictures I dont think there is any change in the pool at all. so what do I do from here? I can keep doing the shock method but at some point in time that has to come to an end too. IN these pictures it shows the pool is more green then what it really is...Im beginning to wonder if it isn't metals in the water? scratching my head....

I did backwash/rinse pump it was running a little high 18...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.