Cloudy water wont uncloudy ..

linen said:
UnderWaterVanya said:
She did use it. And got a result of only 1ppm (FAS-DPD said 3ppm) which doesn't fit the expected brown color for OTO.
Sorry about that UWV :oops:

LOL - No worries here. I'm happy to help by pointing it out but I'm as stumped as anyone else. I've never had a swamp so I have nothing to offer other than a critical eye on the text and some basic test knowledge.

guardwife2 said:
fyi:

I just redid the OTO test, twice, and it is reading a very light yellow and still a 1. ???? :roll:

Just for grins let's explore this. Where did the last batch of bleach come from? Before that everything seemed at least semi-rational.

Do you still have any of that bleach left?

Based on this source: http://www.fws.gov/fisheries/aadap/Nati ... bleach.pdf
It appears that around 8ml of 6% bleach in a 5 gallon bucket will yield a 25ppm result. This could be higher or lower by quite a bit but should be in the ballpark.

Try putting that much in with the suspect bleach and testing with the OTO (color match) test. If that gives a deep yellow/orange/brown record it (take a picture if possible) and then go on to test with FAS-DPD. If it is only pale yellow - don't bother with FAS-DPD.

Then you repeat the test with more pool water and another 8ml taken from a fresh bottle of 6% Clorox which is a trusted name that most people think works quite well - normally not required but likely to be fresh and strong. Post results here.

Its the K 1000 kit from the TF100 and I just got it a few weeks ago..so it should be good. Ive kept it in the house so it is not out in the heat or garage. No bleach left and I had just got the bleach a few days before adding it to the pool. It's the same bleach I was using the first go around with my original post and it came from a dollar store b/c it is cheaper....it was a generic bleach. I have used clorox in the past though but it is more costly.

guardwife2 said:
Its the K 1000 kit from the TF100 and I just got it a few weeks ago..so it should be good. Ive kept it in the house so it is not out in the heat or garage. No bleach left and I had just got the bleach a few days before adding it to the pool. It's the same bleach I was using the first go around with my original post and it came from a dollar store b/c it is cheaper....it was a generic bleach. I have used clorox in the past though but it is more costly.

The dollar store bleach - did it state what % of sodium hypochlorite it had in it? Often the Dollar Store type stores have old old old stock and the potency of chlorine falls off over time. This could very well explain it all. I'm ok buying anything with a specific percentage listed at a grocery store where the stock is not dusty and keeps flowing off the shelves - a name brand isn't normally required - but I would not go to the dollar store for bleach. Even if new stock, it's potentially diluted beyond the 5.25% of standard bleach... it might be less than 3%.

My wife recently purchased some unlabeled 1 gallon bleach from Food Lion thinking she was saving us money. In fact she did but only because the alternative that day was to buy 96 oz 6% bleach at $2 a bottle vs. the 1 Gallon unlabeled for $1.69 a bottle. The unlabeled turned out to be weaker to the point of nearly having the exact strength that the 6% 96 oz has had in the past on our pool. More to lug, and not as cheap as buying 182 oz 6% jugs and using half at a time but better than the alternative that day.

Personally I wouldn't have risked it and I would have gone elsewhere to find a better deal.

UnderWaterVanya said:
Try putting that much in with the suspect bleach and testing with the OTO (color match) test. If that gives a deep yellow/orange/brown record it (take a picture if possible) and then go on to test with FAS-DPD. If it is only pale yellow - don't bother with FAS-DPD.

Then you repeat the test with more pool water and another 8ml taken from a fresh bottle of 6% Clorox which is a trusted name that most people think works quite well - normally not required but likely to be fresh and strong. Post results here.
Just did an OTO test wih about 20% volume of bleach in the view tube. The results were not what I expected. The reagent coagulated into light orange bubbles with the liquid relatively clear. I estimate the ppm to be in the 12000 range.

IMG_20120807_131802.jpg

I diluted it more to around the 3000 ppm range and it was basically the same except the globules were bigger and more orange. It's quite a distinctive change and could not be mistaken for yellow, so I think maybe something else is going on.

@ yeggim ... thanks for trying that, but you are still way beyond astronomical levels for FC. There was a chance guardwife2 was up to 100-200ppm ... so you are still over a factor of 10 too high.

jblizzle said:
@ yeggim ... thanks for trying that, but you are still way beyond astronomical levels for FC. There was a chance guardwife2 was up to 100-200ppm ... so you are still over a factor of 10 too high.
I hear ya but I think the progression will be somewhat the same throughout descending ranges. I once went very high (in the 40 to 50 range. The results were somewhat similar. Some big globules form before shaking but turned brown when shook. I don't think any yellow will show itself with Ultra high Chlorine levels.

Im pretty sure the bleach was 6% that is why I bought it at the dollar store b/c it was the same strength as the store brand or clorox. but I can recheck by getting one out of the trash and looking again. The lady at the store gets trucks in weekly and has a ready supply b/c she has people come in and buy the bleach for their pools too. I usually get the cases of it..usually 25 bottles at a time. None of the bottles are dusty, they are clean and new. She is right next to the pool store and says she has people go to the pool store and then to her store to get chlroine so she keeps plenty in stock. I did a retest with the fc/cc/cl one scoup and it turned pink. The FC was 2.5 and the CC was .5 and the OTO Cl was .5..it is a real pale yellow now. BUT we took the stairs out and YUCK!!! was there stuff in it and on it. thick green stuff. and we brush down the sides and floor. stuff is really floating now. It doesnt' look like dirty swamp water now it is still a green but lighter green. The pool is in full sun..has been all morning so im hoping with still ZERO cya and full sun it is eating some of the chlorine off.

PS...before prior to posting on this site when we were trying on our own...we put liquid shock at 12% in and the CL/OTO test did get a very dark orange...so I know the colors you are talking about however, this did not happen with this test at all..it has been light to pale yellow.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
guardwife2 said:
Im pretty sure the bleach was 6% that is why I bought it at the dollar store b/c it was the same strength as the store brand or clorox. but I can recheck by getting one out of the trash and looking again. The lady at the store gets trucks in weekly and has a ready supply b/c she has people come in and buy the bleach for their pools too. I usually get the cases of it..usually 25 bottles at a time. None of the bottles are dusty, they are clean and new. She is right next to the pool store and says she has people go to the pool store and then to her store to get chlroine so she keeps plenty in stock. I did a retest with the fc/cc/cl one scoup and it turned pink. The FC was 2.5 and the CC was .5 and the OTO Cl was .5..it is a real pale yellow now. BUT we took the stairs out and YUCK!!! was there stuff in it and on it. thick green stuff. and we brush down the sides and floor. stuff is really floating now. It doesnt' look like dirty swamp water now it is still a green but lighter green. The pool is in full sun..has been all morning so im hoping with still ZERO cya and full sun it is eating some of the chlorine off.

PS...before prior to posting on this site when we were trying on our own...we put liquid shock at 12% in and the CL/OTO test did get a very dark orange...so I know the colors you are talking about however, this did not happen with this test at all..it has been light to pale yellow.

Sadly it is possible that what you bought had virtually no FC in it. You might get another bottle and try it but I'd stay away from it entirely.

As for the stairs. If you can hang them upside down you could pour some straight bleach into the crannies and keep it in the shade for a day and then put it back into the pol.

It might but I could smell bleach in it and if it got onto your clothes it bleached it out and after I added all of the bleach into the pool we were getting a bleach smell so I do believe it had bleach in it. ? as for the ladder I think we will keep it out till we get the algae under control or gone. I just looked at the temps to come and we are dipping down into the 50s at night and after today will have low 80s and some 70s. I do think our swimming season is coming to an end. My only hope now is to get it clear or clearer to close...not swim in.

guardwife2 said:
It might but I could smell bleach in it and if it got onto your clothes it bleached it out and after I added all of the bleach into the pool we were getting a bleach smell so I do believe it had bleach in it. ? as for the ladder I think we will keep it out till we get the algae under control or gone. I just looked at the temps to come and we are dipping down into the 50s at night and after today will have low 80s and some 70s. I do think our swimming season is coming to an end. My only hope now is to get it clear or clearer to close...not swim in.

Understood. Keep doing what you need to do. Try not to overdose with bleach so there is no confusion about going over the limits of the test - etc.

well folks, My husband and I had a long conversation about the pool. We have decided to close it. We are in the process of draining it past the strainer and then will close it up for winter. We have battled this pool all summer and lost. I bet we have spent close to 600/700 hundreds or more in chemicals, bleach, etc etc....we are done. :/ It was alousy swim yr for us. However, We took the top of the sand filter and holy cow the stuff we seen in it. It wasn't like this before in the season and it was channeled. It had four big channels in it, it looked like a big deep X. Dead bugs, algae, lots and lots and lots of green aglae. So know we know what was going on and why our pool wouldn't filter/clean like it should so you were all right. I was afraid to take the thing apart by myself so once we started taking off the tubes we took it apart.

So are plans for next yr are the following:
1-drain pool completely
2-replace liner
3-have water hauled in and completely start over fresh
4-purchasing a new filter/pump

and hopefully....cutting down the neighbors tree

this would probably be around the same cost or slightly more than we have bought in pool chemicals, bleach etc this yr. Not to mention having to pay very high water bills vacuuming to waste and refilling all summer. I would say in water bills we have paid atleast 500 or more on top of the other stuff we have purchased.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a pump/filter is good or one you currently have that you like and has worked well for you?

thanks for all of the input and suggestions......

Just to help for next season, can you post the model number of you hayward pump (not just the motor model number) and the model number for you filter (you posted the valve, but not the filter model number in your sig). That will allow us to see if your pump is too big for your filter and potential causing the channeling...though maybe we have already been through this?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.