Cloudy water wont uncloudy ..

guardwife2 said:
quick up date on pool:

I was able to get the pool crystal clear and we got to swim in it...however Life got busy, I got busy and the pool got green again. UGH!! but we are trying to get it cleared up so we are doing the shocking method again. Pump/filter is working fine.....we checked it. Nothing is channeled, broke, etc. It is supposed to get cooler here so I think pool season is winding down some. Kids go back to school in about a week too so my only hope right now is to get it clear to close the pool. I appreciate the msg, kind words, advice, etc.....Pray I get it clear again and dont lose my patience:)
Pool season ain't over yet! According to my dad, who taught for 27 years (or something like that), the first week of school is always a heat wave. The kids all show up in their new school clothes that are too hot for the weather anyway, and then they're all excited to boot, and the heat just makes them "extra squirmy". Last week of school is usually hot, too.

:mrgreen:

lol...true...very true. I have a sneaky feeling though that by the time I get it cleared..it will be closing time. LOL It took me all summer to get to swim a week and a half so im betting no more swimming this yr. LOL However, one thing my husband and I have talked about that could be the source of our trouble is a tree. Our neighbor has a very huge old true that hangs over our pool...Ill take a pic in the morning and place it on here. My neighbor says we can cut it down or trim it...he doesn't care either way....but at our cost and the last time we had someone give us an estimate they said 1000 dollars just to trim it. Not sure on price to cut it down probably simular or a little more. It is a HUGE old tree. It covers about 70% of our pool. We get sun on the pool till about 2ish and then the pool is shaded about 70/80%. But....My husband and I are seriously thinking of saving up and paying to have it cut down. We have neighbors three houses down from us that have a pool ,with no trees around theirs, and they do not have the problems we do. We talk "pool talk" and both got ours from the same place, use the same products, etc and they just do not have the problems we do. so? dont know if there is any truth to it or just a hunch on our part. ?? But could this be part of our problem is the tree, stuff falling from the tree, etc? Could algae get in it faster b/c of the tree and "stuff" off of it?

guardwife2 said:
Could algae get in it faster b/c of the tree and "stuff" off of it?
Organics such as leaves, etc. do use up chlorine faster...but the shade the tree gives also reduces the amount of chlorine lost to the sun. Regardless, maintaining a proper level of chlorine is all that is necessary to keep algae from growing.

This may be good or bad for you, but if you do remove the shade the tree provides, your water will get warmer.

Ok guys/gals....explain the last test result to me...we are stumpt. I will give you an hour by hour time line of test...note the one at midnight.

7pm I added 7 gallons of bleach
8pm tested everything on the pool:

FC 11.5
CC 1.0
CL 1
PH 7.5 or higher (the color was hard to tell)
CYA 0
TA 310
CH turned purple..never blue

I added 3 gallons of bleach.

9pm
FC 12.5
cc 1.5

added 3 gallons of bleach

10:00 pm
FC 12
CC 1.0

added 2 gallons of bleach and I backed washed a little bit b/c outflow was not flowing hard like it usually does.

11:00 pm
FC 10.5
CC 1.5

I added 2 gallons and then husband and I were thinking of turning in so we added the remaining 8 gallons of bleach for a total of 10 gallons b/c we knew it would be going down through out the night.

Midnight/12:00*** this test is puzzling us
FC 1.0 (we repeated this test SEVERAL TIMES)
CC 5.5

no bleach was added b/c we are out. we will be getting some in the morning first thing.

So...why the sudden drop in FC and the spike in CC? I know we have algae this time....but with us adding the 10 gallons at 11 it should of been way way higher than 1????

Adding 10 gallons of 6% bleach would have raised your 7600 gallon pool by 83 ppm FC :shock:

The FAS-DPD test is only good up to ~ 50 ppm. You could try and add double the powder and see if you get a reading, but I would probably wait and let the sun get rid of your excessive FC tomorrow.

I think you FC values are very high and the test is not accurately testing at those levels.

I am wondering if after you added so many bottles, you did not use enough powder in the FAS-DPD test. You can not use too much, but too little at high FC levels can give skewed results.

Just a thought? ? ?

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

ahhhh....I see. Ok...I ran out and put in two scoops of the powder and this is what I got. Im leaning on this not being an accurate test b/c of the amount we put in but here it goes:

12:30
FC 5.5
CC 1.0

does this sound closer to normal or do you think it is still too soon to test and I should let it wait till morning for another test result?

thanks guys:)

Linen:

I really dont have an answer for the number....I just know it took me along time before so I just threw in 7. I was outside grilling and playing with the kids and I just threw some in. I knew it was probably too much but know it also disappears. Once I got settled down after supper I got back on the sight to the calculator and went from there. Before when I was trying to clear my pool on here they told me to keep FC around 20 so that is what I was aiming for this time.

I think your FC is still much much higher. You are going to have to wait until it goes down, maybe test at the end of the day tomorrow with plenty of powder and see where you are.

guardwife2 said:
I really dont have an answer for the number....I just know it took me along time before so I just threw in 7. I was outside grilling and playing with the kids and I just threw some in.
You can do it that way, but it is hard on liners, equipment, etc. Next time, if you want to overshoot, maybe aim for 120%, so for example going from 0 to 24 ppm FC (120% of 20 ppm) you would add 3 gallons of 6% bleach, then test again in a hour and top off.

What is your cya level now?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do you have the OTO chlorine test? That will tell you if your TC is very high or low.
Clear or yellow = 5ppm or less
Orange or brown = very high

Ok....as of this morning im still getting weird test results like last night so I will let is sit for awhile hoping the sun will burn some of it off. I did do a test with the smaller test kit....the one with CL and Ph only....the CL reading was around a 1 in the test tube. When I did the FC/CC test....I had to add 3 scoups of the powder just to get a pink color. FC was 3 and CC was 1. I have zero CYA. I filled the whole tube up and could still see, very clear, the black dot. So I know I need to get this up. I smell no chlorine in the pool at all, which is weird. BUT I do see a lot of algae floating this morning and I had to backwash b/c the pump was running high and hardly any outflow was happening. And definitely no swimming. It's worse now than it has been all summer. LOL We can visible see the algae in it and it was a dark swamp green, this morning the color is a little lighter green...so I do believe it is killing it but I have a long ways to go.

* I should say I had to do the FC/CC test over a few times b/c I was getting test results like last night. I put in one scoup and water was still white. Two scoups, water still white. Three scoups water turned a light pink, I didn't know if I should add four scoups or not? :roll:

You are going to have to wait for the FC to drop. Don't cover the pool for now as the sun is your best friend to drop your FC. I would hold off on testing until the end of the day...but this is probably going to take more then one day to drop.

Did you do the OTO test?

linen said:
You are going to have to wait for the FC to drop. Don't cover the pool for now as the sun is your best friend to drop your FC. I would hold off on testing until the end of the day...but this is probably going to take more then one day to drop.

Did you do the OTO test?

She did - see below. Showed 1ppm - seems crazy and weird. Also she's saying she has 0 CYA - but she's put some in in the past - maybe bacteria eating the CYA? Something is eating the chlorine FAST if the test results are to be trusted - but the consumption was not linear - it happened in one hour!

guardwife2 said:
Ok....as of this morning im still getting weird test results like last night so I will let is sit for awhile hoping the sun will burn some of it off. I did do a test with the smaller test kit....the one with CL and Ph only....the CL reading was around a 1 in the test tube. When I did the FC/CC test....I had to add 3 scoups of the powder just to get a pink color. FC was 3 and CC was 1.

You could try diluting the water sample with distilled water. This will eliminate concerns that your FC is off the charts high and reporting low falsely. Try 5ml of pool water, 5ml of distilled water and test again. If that seems to come in around half as much as the first test - I'd trust the test as you'd need to multiply this by 2x to get the real value. You can try again one more time using 5ml of pool water, 10ml of distilled water and then pouring off the extra 5ml and testing again. This time you are expecting 1/3 normal value (let's say 1ppm) and you 3x the results to get the real value.

Honestly this has me stumped. I'm not an expert on swamps - just trying to help you out with basic info on how to confirm the test results.

UnderWaterVanya said:
Honestly this has me stumped.
Not surprising at all to me, guardwife added 25 gallons of bleach last night that would have put her FC somewhere up around 200 ppm :shock: :shock: It needs to come down. Your dilution approach is not a bad idea, but using the OTO test will work for now...it should be brown and when it starts getting more orange then she can switch back to the FAS-DPD test.

linen said:
UnderWaterVanya said:
Honestly this has me stumped.
Not surprising at all to me, guardwife added 25 gallons of bleach last night that would have put her FC somewhere up around 200 ppm :shock: :shock: It needs to come down. Your dilution approach is not a bad idea, but using the OTO test will work for now...it should be brown and when it starts getting more orange then she can switch back to the FAS-DPD test.

She did use it. And got a result of only 1ppm (FAS-DPD said 3ppm) which doesn't fit the expected brown color for OTO.

yes, I did the OTO test....it came out a light yellow, which reading the tube said a 1? Which doesn't sound right to me if there is that much bleach in the water. I should be reading very very high. Should I redo it? and yes a total of 25 gallons of bleach was added from 7 till 12:30...:/ I know that is overkill but I wanted to kill it. I went with the theory of more is better......:/ and yes...ZERO cya...which has me scratching my head b/c before I was getting a reading of atleast 30 prior to this go round.

I thought the yellow OTO chlorine test was fool proof? If it was a light yellow, then the TC is low ... weird, but must be true, right?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.