Cloudy water after metal stain treatment and adding "Sea Klear"

seaquest7

Feb 7, 2022
Central Florida
Hello. I had some metal staining and treated my 10K gal plaster pool with 1lb of Ascorbic acid. The stains were lifted and after 24 hrs I added "Metal Gone" At this point the water was still pretty clear. Then I added 10ozs of "Sea Klear" (per instructions from the pool store.). The water immediately started to get very cloudy (like couldn't see the first (top) step cloudy.) After looking on this site I found that "...Clarifiers should NEVER be used ... where Metal Sequestrant is being used" Unfortunately I didn't see before adding it.

I've been running the cartridge style filter / pump nonstop for 7 days now and have cleaned the filter every day (quite a bit of fine white dust (same as in the pool) has been coming out each time its cleaned, and the water is a little clearer, but not very much. At this rate I think to will be months of 24/7 running before its clear agin. The pool water is pretty close to where it needs to be chemical wise: Chlorine 2.0, PH 7.6, Total Alkalinity 90, stabilizer 50, Calc 310. Any suggestions on what I can do to speed things up a little?
Attached is pictures of the Metal Gone and the dreaded Sea Klear bottles.
Thanks.IMG_2504.jpegIMG_2505.jpegIMG_2521.jpegIMG_2522.jpegIMG_2523.jpeg

Welcome to the forum!
At this point, you just have to let the filter clean out the pool store potions.
How are you testing your pool water chemistry?
See Recommended Levels. Your FC is quite low.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Welcome to TFP.

Chlorine 2.0 with CYA 50 is not where the pool water should be.

I suspect you may have an algae problem adding to the cloudiness of the water.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Hi and thanks for the quick responses!
I'm using a "aqua-chem" test kit.
I was told (again, by the pool store) that the chlorine needed to be zero when I added the "metal gone" and that after the stains have been removed to very slowly bring the chlorine level up or staining can reoccur, hence the chlorine level only being at 2.0 so far. I'm about to add some more today. We normally keep it closer to 3 even though the "Ideal" marking on the test kit is between 2 and 3.
I've read about algae causing cloudy water but since the water turned very cloudy literally in 2 to 3 minutes, I suspected the chemical and not an algae bloom. By now (7 days later) I guess it could both?

At this point I'll bring up the CYA and chlorine levels and like you suggested, and just continue to filter and clean daily util its clear. I will also dig a little deeper into the chemical reaction between the "metal gone" and the "sea klear" to determine why it went almost instantly cloudy. I'm just curious.

By the way, the store also suggested I add an algaecide when the chlorine level begins to drop (I was letting the chlorine drop in preparation for adding the metal gone as directed.) However, he later said that since the temps were down in the 60's (pretty cool for Central Florida), he didn't think I'd have an algae problem and could skip the algaecide.

I truly appreciate the quick response plus your insight and suggestions! This website is outstanding!

Thank you,
George

When you get tired of spending your time and money maintaining your pool the Pool Stire way we have alternative methods for you.

Welcome to the forum!
At this point, you just have to let the filter clean out the pool store potions.
How are you testing your pool water chemistry?
See Recommended Levels. Your FC is quite low.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.
All Chemical levels are now in spec.
For the last 24 hrs the pump/filter has been off. The water has cleared some because much of the white powder has settled to the bottom. Filtering is taking taking too long so I'm planning to use the pump (exhausting the water to the yard) and slowly manually vacuum the bottom. This should reduce the time it will take the pump to clear the rest.
I truly appreciate the help you've given. Thank you!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.