Cloudy pool

tallmomof3grls

Sep 11, 2023
Dallas Ga
Hello. New pool owner here. I have a 4500 gal above ground pool. We have tried everything to get our pool un cloudy. We upgraded the pump to a sand filter pump which is working great but the pool is still cloudy. So upon testing it the ph and alkalinity is zero. So I added baking soda. Well I added way to much. I put the entire 10lb bag in. Yep way to much. Now I don't know what to do. It's been almost 24hrs since I added it and the pool is still really cloudy. Can someone please advise me on what to do. I'm at a loss and don't know what to do.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Let's cover a few things really fast, although there will be more to learn later.
1 - How are you testing your water? That is always our #1 concern at TFP followed closely by ....
2 - Can you provide a full set of water test results?
3 - Cloudy often means algae. If algae, no amount of pump or filter running will kill it. It's chemical process.
4 - Are you on a well?
5 - If water is cheap in your area, you may need to consider a full or partial water exchange to help get a jump on things.

But everything stars with accurate water test results from either a TF-Series test kit (link in my signature) or Taylor K-2006C. Let's talk some more to see how we can help you.

Reactions: Mdragger88
The following links are also very important as a pool owner.

Pool Care Basics

With such a small pool I would consider a drain, scrub, & refill especially if water is fairly cheap considering liquid chlorine is getting harder to find & is upwards of $5/gallon
then you can start over fresh using this guide 👇
Is this an intex style pool?

Reactions: tallmomof3grls
Here’s what 10# of baking soda does in your pool volume
IMG_7611.png

Blindly throwing things in is a recipe for disaster. At least it was just baking soda which is fairly benign.
From now on use
PoolMath for calculating additions. No need to guess at dosages.
While low ta & low ph are a problem they aren’t likely the cause of your cloudiness, algae is as Pat mentioned.

Reactions: Newdude
With such a small pool I would consider a drain, scrub, & refill especially if water is fairly cheap considering liquid chlorine is getting harder to find & is upwards of $5/gallon
then you can start over fresh using this guide 👇
Is this an intex style pool?
Yes it's an intex pool.

+1 on the recommendation to drain, scrub and refill.

The links above are good, but let me quickly summarize:
- Algae causes cloudy pools 99% of the time
- Chlorine is the only thing that kills algae and should be your #1 priority
- Your TA, pH, filter, pump, turnovers, etc do not kill algae and while important, they are not nearly as important as chlorine

I agree with drain and refill, and I’m also wondering how PH and TA would be zero. How are you testing the water?

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.