Tnickels

Jul 17, 2023
Brunswick Ohio
Hello! This is our third summer with our above ground pool, we bought the house with the pool so had to learn as we went. We have a DE filter but this summer we have really been struggling. At first we thought it was a bad pollen issue, bottom
Of the pool was always green. When I would take the filter out it would be like green. Now I’m wondering if it could be algae? Problem is it’s not sticking to the walls, it’s only on the bottom and on the steps. I feel like I am vacuuming, rinsing the filter, and adding DE every single day. Currently it is cloudy with a green tint. I can barely see what I’m vacuuming but once I finish a section I notice that area seems more blue like I am sucking up whatever is at the bottom. Once I’m done the filter is green.

Welcome to TFP.
This is algae and a DE filter will clog easily with that. Can you vacuum to waste rather than through the filter? You would need to add water after.
How do you test the pool water? Can you post a set of test results?

We use the SLAM Process to kill algae. It requires several prerequisites such as a proper test kit, the purchase of liquid chlorine and the commitment to follow the process.

We have 100's, maybe 1000's of members that have joined with similar issues and we have helped them resolve it to a crystal clear pool. See this site as to testament of how a properly maintained pool can look like

Just my opinion but a DE filter is great at clearing your water once the algae is dead. It clogs fast but it's doing what it's meant to do.

I had a winter cover rip once and opened the swamp. After SLAMing the pool my DE filter cleaned it up quickly. Follow the correct SLAm process and you should be good in no time.

How are you testing your water? Having accurate numbers is important.

Thank you we started the SLAM process, but we had to add Muriatic acid to bring the pH down first. Just out of curiosity, once we get things under control, what process should we continue to do for weekly chemicals. Every time we think we have things under control something else happens. Just want to know the best way to avoid this.

Chlorine... its all about chlorine. You need high levels of chlorine now to completely kill your algae. Then once you finish the SLAM, you need to make sure your chlorine is maintained at the correct level.

Your actual FC level depends on your CYA. The chart showing the target ranges is in my signature. I also made this picture to show this visually. The SLAM column is for killing active algae, while the target FC if for maintaining your chlorine once you have crystal clear water.

1689689636950.png

Please don't just do a weekly look at the chemistry, try to do it once every other day or every 2 days.; at least until you get a handle on how your water is doing. Running a little higher than minimal chlorine for your CYA level helps to prolong the testing interval for chlorine. After a while you'll get a feel on how your water behaves during certain periods. I tend to add more chlorine when we are getting rain to fight off whatever gets put into the pool. I look at my water chemistry every 2 days now since I know my pH is fairly stable, chlorine isn't used up too fast and then make my way to the filter to check pressure and to see if everything is OK ... maybe a little over the top but I do not want to fight my pool water having issues, 10 minutes every 2 days and a couple of gluggs of chlorine when it's going to rain is easy for me. It becomes easy once you have a routine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.