Cloudy pool

Yikes! That's not what we expected for your CYA. Now would be a good time to slow down a bit and look at either how much you added previously, or stop everything until your TF-100 kit arrives. Even though 80 is okay for a SWG system on a normal day, you will use more bleach to maintain a much higher FC level for a SLAM, so definitely don't touch any more stabilizer for a while. Who knows, when you receive your test kit, you might find it's slightly lower, but to go from about 20 to 80 is a huge jump.

"IF" we learn from your test kit that your CYA is actually 80, then you will need to increase FC to 31. But don't do that yet. Wait for the kit.

Oh hun the stabilizer should have been put in a sock and hung in front of the jet to dissolve slowly. With your CYA already being 80 Is there anyway you can remove the undissolved stabilizer out of the bottom of your pool? Perhaps vacuum it out or net it out before it too dissolves in there. Once you vacuum it out either backwash your filter if it has a backwash on it or clean it out of your filter so it doesn't get back into the pool

- - - Updated - - -

OH and NOOO do Not add anymore chlorine yet

Learning...I haven't ever used the sock method.....not sure how I would hang it....

- - - Updated - - -

Oops my mistake...that stabilizer has already dissolved prior to pulling water for the test....I didn't do it myself this time...someone else here pulled the water.

Yeah that's the only recommended way to do it. can you try to get some of the undissolved stabilizer out of there? How much stabilizer did you put in it? Look at comment #6 in this link it shows how it's done and you can tie it to the pool or a stick in the ground if the string is long enough BUT you don't need to do that now because there is more than enough in there at the moment. http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/47551-Adding-Stabilizer

- - - Updated - - -

OK if it's dissolved already not much you can do. It could take a week for it to completely register in there. But you WILL get there :)

Last edited:
Pool is nearly clear...is it safe to swim? How long before I can stop running the filter system 24/7? It is costing me a fortune in electricity. I put in quite a bit of stabilizer...then later figured out I had probably put too much.
I guess I could tie a sock around the grab bar?? It isn't in front of a jet...how about putting it in the skimmer basket? Someone once told me women's stockings....we live in Florida ...nobody actually uses those here!! LOL!

Okay GiGi, since your last test reading was from your TF-100 (TF-100 right?), then you know your CYA is getting too high. If you have any more undissolved stabilizer hanging in the pool - remove it. If there are granules on the pool floor or possibly in the filter, you can vacuum and backwash to remove any undissolved stabilizer. But if it's all in there, then you can't change it now. It seems unclear exactly how much was added compared to the original starting point, so you'll have to re-test in a few days.

So GiGi, the best thing to do right now is re-group. Take a breath and rely on those TF-100 test results.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So let's do this .... :calm: That's priority #1. We're not going to fix anything overnight, and you don't need to exhaust yourself. :) Please confirm that you have the TF-100 test kit, and if so, let's consider taking a break for the evening. You deserve it.

Tomorrow, take a couple fresh test readings for me: FC and CYA only. Assuming your CYA testing was accurate, and your is still high, then we will use the Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart to confirm what your new FC level should be and advise you how much bleach to use. But we really need to check the CYA one more time tomorrow to make sure you read it correctly.

We can help you through this, so don't worry. For tonight, just put one gallon of bleach in the water to keep things where they are and we'll start this with a fresh set of eyes tomorrow. Does that sound okay to you?

- - - Updated - - -

Can you use the pool? We base that on the following:
- Can see the bottom - I think you can (good)
- FC is above minimum required for sanitation - for a SWG pool, the minimum FC for you right now would be 4 (so you should be good there)
- FC is NOT above your SLAM FC level - based on a CYA of 80, that would be an FC of 31 (as long as your FC is below30 - you are good)

Hopefully your FC is not near that high anyways, so no problem. Don't waste any more bleach other than perhaps one gallon after you're done swimming for the night. We'll re-check everything tomorrow.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I realize you have a cartridge filter, not sand, so backwashing is not an option to remove any undissolved stabilizer. But you may consider removing the filter and rinsing it out.

I am currently replacing a bit of water...about an inch....as I have to do on a regular basis...partly due to a leaking external spray bar...(yes, I know I need to fix it). That should help with bringing down the level of CYA....I have added my gallon of bleach and will retest in the morning.

Good morning GiGi! Are you ready to start fresh today on that water? Well, before you do perhaps the most important test of the day (CYA), I wanted to give you some additional notes to use along with what you see in the TF-100 kit:
Proper lighting is important for the CYA test. You want to test for CYA outside on a sunny day, but keep the skinny view tube in the shade. Taylor recommends standing in the sun with your back to the sun and the view tube in the shade of your body. Use the mixing bottle to combine/mix the required amounts of pool water and R-0013 reagent, let sit for 30 seconds, then mix again. Then, while holding the skinny tube with the black dot at waist level, begin squirting the mixed solution into the skinny tube. Watch the black dot until it completely disappears. Once it disappears, record the CYA reading. After the first test, you can pour the mixed solution from the skinny view tube back to the mixing bottle, shake, and do the same test a second, third, or fourth time to instill consistency in your technique, become more comfortable with the testing, and validate the CYA reading.
Once you reply back with today's CYA, we'll have a good idea of what you need to do next.

I had already tested when I got your message...I was just booting up my computer to respond to you. I will try to re-do the test later with your instructions. This morning, the FC is 23.5 and the CYA is 80. I tested the pH, too. It is between 7.2 and 7.5...colors are pretty subjective. I am currently adding some water as the level is still low. It got too dark on me last night. I can see the bottom of the pool well, but it is cloudy.

Also, my "no longer has a job pool guy" told me I needed to purchase a new filter after this algae outbreak. It has been delivered. Do I need t install it now, or can I wait until this process is complete? I replaced the filter 13 months ago.

If your old filter is really nasty, you can replace it today. That's fine. I would suggest not testing your pH any more while your FC level is so high since the higher bleach tends to mess-up the pH reading. You can test pH again after the FC lowers back down below 10 after the SLAM.

As for what to do now .... here's what we know:
- CYA is a bit high at 80. To "SLAM" your pool at that CYA level, it means you need to raise your FC to 31 to kill any algae that is making your water cloudy or green. My biggest concern though is "what if" your CYA is still rising from an overdose of stabilizer. Oops. :) That may take a few more days to fully show-up on tests.

Since you just told us you have a new filter, replace that today and see if that improves your water clarity. Also, have you ever done an overnight test? If not, then what I would suggest BEFORE you start a SLAM is do an overnight chlorine loss test per Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT). I don't want you to waster bleach or add anything to yoru pool before we know FOR SURE what's going on.

Is it acceptable to give it a few days and begin retests on Sunday afternoon? I want to use our pool over the weekend!! :)

- - - Updated - - -

I guess we were posting at the same time. I will go out and replace the filter in a few minutes.

Gigi, I think for today it would best for you to simply change the filter and tonight;/tomorrow morning compare FC readings via Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT). If you've never done an OCLT, here's some more notes to go along with that link above:
When performing the OLCT, remember that if must be done when the sun has dropped – no sunlight on the pool. About 8 hours total is recommended. Also, your FC level should be elevated more than normal. Starting FC could be close to your SLAM level, but no lower than 10. Anything less and you may not receive an accurate portrayal of FC loss (by percentage), even if it’s only 1 ppm.
As you can see, boosting your FC level before bedtime and checking again the next morning before the sun hits your pool will tell us for sure if your cloudiness is due to a filtration issue, or if you have organics (algae) eating your bleach (FC).

For today, just keep your FC at a regular level of about 9 based on the CYA of 80. Boost it (FC) up to 31 before bed, and test it again in the morning as illustrated above. Does that all make sense to you? I know I've posted a lot of information. I hope it hasn't completely overwhelmed you. Let me know if you have any questions.

- - - Updated - - -

ha ha. Yes, were typing at the same time. You can swim today with an FC of 9. You can still do the OLCT tonight (FC at 31), then let it sink back down tomorrow on its own. It will be safe to swim. :swim:

Thanks!! My FC was 23.5 this morning....should I expect that it will rise more during the day or go down? Just trying to guesstimate how much bleach I need to purchase....or should I drive to the next town and buy chlorine from the pool store? I can buy bleach locally, but not chlorine.

Actually, the FC will sink down today just from the sun, so you can enjoy the pool. It should lower on its own and get closer to 10 by the end of the day. Just don't let it get lower than 9. Then tonight for the OLCT, the calculator shows me that you would need 4.5 gallon of regular 8.25% bleach to go from an FC of 10 to an FC of 31. So that gives you an idea for tonight's OCLT test, you'll need about 4 or 5 gallons of bleach to raise that FC level for the overnight test.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support