Cloudy cloudy cloudy

poolnewbie86

Jun 1, 2023
New hampshire
Hello everyone. I am a brand new pool owner as I inherited a home with an above ground pool that is 6 feet deep in the center and 4 feet around the edges. It hold roughly 22,000 gallons or atleast that is what I was told. I opened the pool last week and shocked the pool to an acceptable level. It was now a light green but I loved much better. I then added some mineral out because the previous owner told me he did that a lot. That made a world of difference! I now have blue water BUT....it is cloudy. VERY CLOUDY almost milky colored. I an see threw the top foot and that's about it. I have an old DE filter and I am now at a loss. My chlorine level and ph are within normal range. I can't figure this out and I don't want to use flocculant. Any advice would help. I attached pictures in order of how the pool looked. It's now murky blue like skim milk

Attachments

• 20230529_134333.jpg
    20230529_134333.jpg
    739.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230529_163306.jpg
    20230529_163306.jpg
    733.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230531_104146.jpg
    20230531_104146.jpg
    620.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 707347587.jpg
    707347587.jpg
    587.5 KB · Views: 8
Hey there Poolnewbie, welcome to TFP :)
My first bit of advice is that you seriously *need* your own trusty test kit. You've got a big honkin' pool and to take care of the water and equipment properly you want a test kit that will tell you:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Salt if applicable
The Two test kits we endorse are the Taylor K-2006C found at various online sellers, and the TF-Pro from a mom&pop seller out of North Carolina www.tftestkits.net
I use the TF-Pro Salt kit and swear by it!

Using alternative potions such as anything mineral (except salt) will just cause you problems. Stains, green hair, etc. Blech.

We are a Chlorine based pool method. Liquid Chlorine and Salt Systems preferred, but some do use pucks as long as they understand the problems they too can cause (excess stabilizer buildup, excess calcium buildup, for example).

THe only thing we would advise you to do while waiting for a test kit is to add a gallon of liquid chlorine daily, and brush. You can find the liquid chlorine at Walmart's pool section, or Lowes/HD. Until we know what else is in the water I can't say what else it needs? Please don't add anything else until you get proper tests done.

Some useful links:
Pool Care Basics
SLAM Process
Test Kits Compared

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.