Clouds when I brush bottom of pool

biddyfarquad

May 23, 2023
Nashville
Hey all! I have a 27.5k gallon pool with a liner. It turned green so I followed all the steps to slam it. I passed the OCDT and my combined chlorine was good, and I vacuumed out all the algae I could see. The water was as clear as can be. But I have 2 issues/ questions.

1. When I brushed the bottom of the pool I would still get a cloud to appear. Hard to tell if it was gray or green. Does this mean I need to keep slamming or I need to vacuum every inch of the pool even where I can't see algae? How do I get rid of this cloud. (Question 2 might help)

2. After slamming, my FC never dropped below 3.5 ppm (30 CYA). However, a few days later there appears to be some green again. It wasn't all over the walls but there was definitely green in all the corners and then there was streaks of green across the bottom of the pool. (I'm suspicious that my circulation and filtration might not be ideal) The green substance looked like a powder. I'm sure it's algae. Anyways, does this mean I stopped slamming too early? Is this new algae or did I never fully get rid of the existing algae? Is this related to the cloud I'd see when brushing? Where did I go wrong with slamming? I don't see how it could be growing with the FC never dropping below 3.5. pH and alkalinity and everything else is at good levels. Phosphates are a tad high.

Anyways, does this mean I stopped slamming too early?
Probably
Is this new algae or did I never fully get rid of the existing algae?
Probably the same.
Is this related to the cloud I'd see when brushing?
Yes, algae.
Where did I go wrong with slamming?
Probably the clear water criteria. You want to make sure there is absolutely no alive or dead algae, nothing but clear water. It could also be that it did in fact get low and you didn't catch it (I know you said it never got below 3.5...but I've seen it happen).

Always follow the FC/CYA recommendations. FC/CYA Levels For CYA of 30, I would run your FC at the top of the range (6) to handle daily demand.

I would re-slam and make sure the pool is spotless in addition to no OCLT and CC <.5.

Probably

Probably the same.

Yes, algae.

Probably the clear water criteria. You want to make sure there is absolutely no alive or dead algae, nothing but clear water. It could also be that it did in fact get low and you didn't catch it (I know you said it never got below 3.5...but I've seen it happen).

Always follow the FC/CYA recommendations. FC/CYA Levels For CYA of 30, I would run your FC at the top of the range (6) to handle daily demand.

I would re-slam and make sure the pool is spotless in addition to no OCLT and CC <.5.
Thank you sir! Is there any trick to getting the algae out of the pool so that when I brush the bottom of the pool there are no clouds? The pool was clear for a couple days but when I brushed there were still clouds. Do I just keep slamming and backwashing and eventually the filter will take care of the algae?
Previously I have just vacuumed visible piles of dead algae, but do I need to vacuum the entire surface to get rid of the clouds?

Thank you sir! Is there any trick to getting the algae out of the pool so that when I brush the bottom of the pool there are no clouds? The pool was clear for a couple days but when I brushed there were still clouds. Do I just keep slamming and backwashing and eventually the filter will take care of the algae?
Yes.
Previously I have just vacuumed visible piles of dead algae, but do I need to vacuum the entire surface to get rid of the clouds?
You might turn off the pump for a few minutes, slowly brush the little piles toward one end of the pool until you have a nice little area, then you can vacuum.

Can you update your signature so we know your equipment?

Also just to clarify (no pun intended), to the naked eye, the water is completely clear with no algae. The only time you can see something is when you brush the liner, you can see stuff cloud up.

Also just to clarify (no pun intended), to the naked eye, the water is completely clear with no algae. The only time you can see something is when you brush the liner, you can see stuff cloud up.
For purposes of a SLAM completion, a pool with algae, dead or alive, is not clear. Brush Brush Brush during SLAM. Only when you no longer get any stuff is it "TFP Clear"

For purposes of a SLAM completion, a pool with algae, dead or alive, is not clear. Brush Brush Brush during SLAM. Only when you no longer get any stuff is it "TFP Clear"
Updated my signature with all the details I know off the top of my head for now.

So to get rid of the last bit of stubborn algae that is not visible until I brush and it clouds up. What is the best way? Do vacuum all surfaces, even ones with no visible algae? Do I just brush up the clouds everyday while I slam and eventually the filter will take care of it?

I can't really brush the piles to one end of the pool because if there's any turbulence at all the algae just clouds up and mixes in with the clear water.

What is the best way? Do vacuum all surfaces, even ones with no visible algae? Do I just brush up the clouds everyday while I slam and eventually the filter will take care of it?
Yes, brush frequently. Sand filters take the longest to clear the pool. Patience is in order. Just takes time.
I can't really brush the piles to one end of the pool because if there's any turbulence at all the algae just clouds up and mixes in with the clear water.
Great, then this tells me how much you have, not much.

Also, if you haven't already, definitely be sure to pop out and clean inside your lights, ladder, and anything else that might be hiding a concentration of algae away from circulation. I got stuck in the gray algae dust on the floor stage for what felt like forever until I removed the light in my deep end and found the "nest" all my algae was hiding in.

• Love
Reactions: PoolStored

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have one more question. When i have dead algae piled up i always vacuum to waste, but the other day i vacuumed it to my filter just to see how it would handle it and i immediately saw the cloudy water coming back into my pool. AKA it does not seem the filter (which i have learned has glass media inside) is doing that much work.
Is this normal to see the particles just come straight back into the pool? or is there an issue with my filter?

I have one more question. When i have dead algae piled up i always vacuum to waste, but the other day i vacuumed it to my filter just to see how it would handle it and i immediately saw the cloudy water coming back into my pool. AKA it does not seem the filter (which i have learned has glass media inside) is doing that much work.
Is this normal to see the particles just come straight back into the pool? or is there an issue with my filter?
This is one of the reasons we recommend sand in a sand filter. Alternative media causes problems, and may not work as good as plain old ordinary sand.

Could be the media, could be a problem with the MPV. When you backwash, is the water dirty? Do you have a sight glass?

The water is dirty in the sight glass when I backwash so it is filtering some stuff.

Does the fact that I can clearly see the dead algae coming back into my pool after going through the filter mean something is wrong? Or is that normal for the filter not to catch everything?

Does the fact that I can clearly see the dead algae coming back into my pool after going through the filter mean something is wrong? Or is that normal for the filter not to catch everything?
Yes. Either the media is not working correctly, there is a crack somewhere in the filter, or the MPV has an issue.

If it is filtering, then vacuum to waste and filter on low speed. Finish the SLAM...Then you can come back and work on a filter fix.

Yes. Either the media is not working correctly, there is a crack somewhere in the filter, or the MPV has an issue.

If it is filtering, then vacuum to waste and filter on low speed. Finish the SLAM...Then you can come back and work on a filter fix.
I opened up the filter to see if I can spot any issue. I don't know what to look for so any tips would be helpful.
I unscrewed the plug in the bottom and water slowly trickled out. I removed the MPV. The water is still inside and isn't really draining. It's very very slowly trickling.
Why is it not draining?
Also, there's a nice layer of goop on the top of the media. Is that normal?

Any tips on what to look for?

Attachments

• PXL_20230602_003510246.jpg
    PXL_20230602_003510246.jpg
    652.4 KB · Views: 9
  • PXL_20230602_003533136.jpg
    PXL_20230602_003533136.jpg
    494.2 KB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20230602_003558308.jpg
    PXL_20230602_003558308.jpg
    334.8 KB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20230602_003325832.jpg
    PXL_20230602_003325832.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 10
Backwashing if it is working correctly would have removed that goop...likely dead algae. If it didn't remove it, then we know there is an issue, and likely time for a deep clean, or replace the sand.

See repairs here:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.