Closing PH

bostonpool

May 29, 2017
Worcester, MA
Hi Folks:

Prepping for my close on Monday. I've got a 32K gallon gunite in ground pool. I see from the "How to close an unground pool" sticky that they recommend SLAMing the pool a few days before and also getting most of the chemistry dialed in with PH "between 7.4 and 7.6".

I've got a gunite pool. Right now by PH is a bit high....8.2ish. But when I'm in pool math and current water temps of 60 degrees the CSI is balanced almost perfectly. Lowering the temp to the 50s or 40s is still balanced.

If I model lowering the PH to 7.4 the CSI drops with the "potential to become corrosive."

So my question is how important is PH when you close? Poolmath seems to think higher is better with colder temps.

Your pH is only going to rise once you close the pool.

So start it low at close.

Don't worry about your corrosive CSI due to low pH. It will not stay in that range for long.

What is your TA?

What CSI level do you consider corrosive?

Hi Folks:

Prepping for my close on Monday. I've got a 32K gallon gunite in ground pool. I see from the "How to close an unground pool" sticky that they recommend SLAMing the pool a few days before and also getting most of the chemistry dialed in with PH "between 7.4 and 7.6".

I've got a gunite pool. Right now by PH is a bit high....8.2ish. But when I'm in pool math and current water temps of 60 degrees the CSI is balanced almost perfectly. Lowering the temp to the 50s or 40s is still balanced.

If I model lowering the PH to 7.4 the CSI drops with the "potential to become corrosive."

So my question is how important is PH when you close? Poolmath seems to think higher is better with colder temps.
The pH note is only important when performing a SLAM. But there’s not much point in it as a preventative measure before closing if your water is already clear, CC is below 0.5, and you aren’t losing any more than 1ppm of FC overnight. The idea is to just raise the chlorine level for a couple days as extra insurance before closing. The pH will rise on its own anyway.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.