Closing a salt water pool for the first time

Aug 2, 2013
Hi folks,
For the past few years my pool has been looked after by a 3rd party, but this autumn I would like to attempt close the pool myself. The pool is salt water based, located in Italy and 12 x 5 metres in size. It doesn't get that cold, but occasional snow once every few years.

I have the appropriate covers etc, and I'm ok with dismantling the pump and removing, but don't know anything about the chemistry and if I should be putting something in the water over winter or not. The pool normally gets closed at the end of October and then re-openned April/May, so it spends 6 months of the year closed. I'll look into opening the pool once I've mastered closing it.:)

Any help is really appreciated.

Closing the pool is harder than opening it. The issue is freeze-proofing the lines. Usually this involves blowing out the lines with compressed air and adding potable anti-freeze. All lines are plugged once that is done. Also removing all the equipment drain plugs. Incorrect closing is the main reason for damage when opening from freezing. The only chemical I use is a non-metal based algaecide.

I put an entire bottle of polyquat 60 in just before the pool guys come close me each year. I try to get it in around an hour before they get there so it can circulate through. Water temp is critical as well i close when it's close to 50 and open when it's still below be 60.

Reactions: robertson058
Is it ok to put in 'polyquat 60' whilst your pump is still on ?

Welcome neighbor. I was born in a small town in Calabria (Provincia di Vibo Valentia). Yes, add Poly-Quat 60 and allow to mix for at least 12-24 hours before closing the pool. As Pool Gate stated, removing water from the lines is best for winter. If you have no main drain, closing the pool is a breeze. Can you post some pictures of the pool, and equipment so we know what you are working with?

Below is a detailed link on closing a pool. You may not be able to purchase some of the items in Italy, but with your pool, a shop vacuum will be fine.

Concept of closing an IG Swimming PoolThe concept of closing an in ground swimming pool

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.