Clearing algae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: main drain has dirt and debri sitting in the bottom-no suction?

Kim, thx! i went ahead and eyeballed it as I did not know the oz on the measuring cup could measure weight as well but I'll use the cup for next time. I was wondering if we needed a separate cup for MA. and to answer your previous question, I am not taking records so i will make sure to record all of this on a word doc unless anyone has a better method. thx!

The measuring cup doesn't measure by weight (one pound of stabilizer will fill a measuring cup a lot more than a pound of lead - it's a density thing) - but Pool Math does show by volume also. For CYA, look on the top line - the first figure is by weight and the second by volume.

Put the test results in a Word doc or on a piece of paper - either way will work.

In addition, you can post them here as a record of your progress. You may also consider taking a picture each day - at about the same time, same angle and same location - of the pool to post here as an easy way to see your progress. It is suggested to take a pic of the steps to see how the clarity improves - frame it so the top step, lower steps and the pool bottom near the steps show. Your pool really isn't too bad, so you may not see drastic improvement on a daily basis, but it's good to have those pics to see where you started and the end result.

This morning you said the FC was 18. But after we discussed it, you stated you forgot to divide by 2 - effectively giving you an FC of 9. Anyway, you do need to test FC tonight and add chlorine to get to 12 if necessary. Each and every time you test, add chlorine to get to shock level of 12 (for your specific CYA). And brush at least once daily.

i just added 6.1 oz of bleach after checking the FC and with 18 drops having a 9. (I found that odd after a long day although the filter has been running all day). Will brush it tonight and record everything, then checking levels in the morn again. pump is running. thanks!!

proavia, my water looks crystal clear. it has for a few days now which is why i didn't understand why i needed to slam it. the storebrand shock took care of all or most of the yellow algae that was visible and certainly throughout the day or/and adding a gallon of chlorine the next day took care of anything else. i never really had a cloudiness issue until i sweep, when i brush everything around into the pool. i can send a pic later as maybe different people have different ideas of what is crystal clear, but it looks like drinking water, I'd say. I'll review, later how i know when i'm done slamming. I'm trusting. :)

Oh darn - I forgot to tell you ----- during the SLAM, set the SWCG to zero. You don't want it producing chlorine - you want to see how much you lose between testing.

Even though you can't SEE it, it's still there - at least a little. The SLAM is a process, not a one time elevation of chlorine.

You are done SLAMing when:
• CC is 0.5 or lower;
• You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
• And the water is clear.
When all three are true, you are done SLAMing and can allow the FC to drift down to normal levels.

Crystal clear is when you can read the writing on a quarter in the deep end while standing on the deck.

AFTER you are completely done with the SLAM, we will discuss the necessary levels you need to maintain for proper sanitation. This will include the CYA level and the FC level, in addition to pH and the others. The FC target and minimum levels for a SWCG are lower that for a non-SWCG pool - given the same CYA level. You should already understand that the way you were keeping your chlorine level was too low - that's why you got algae in the first place.... and you've had algae on numerous occasions (last year and this year). You WILL need to keep FC higher than you have been - this will help prevent algae and give you and your kids a safe and sanitary place to swim.

We appreciate that there is a LOT to digest here - that's why we try to get new members to take it SLOW and trust us. It's best not to attempt to tackle too many items at one time. The TFP methods have been proven to work in 1000's and 1000's of pools EVERYDAY. Don't over think it -

If you added liquid chlorine (10%), you needed to add 54 fluid ounces per Pool Math. The 6.1oz is by weight for trichlor (which is the solid tablets).

Time to go back out there and put another 48oz (48+6.1=54.1) of 10% liquid chlorine in.

And be sure the SWCG is set to zero (or turn it off if that's possible). It needs to remain off for the duration of the SLAM.

I just went back and added the rest of the chlorine and I turned salt cell to 0%. I had a feeling the amt of chlorine was "too good to be true" and wanted to make sure to get back to the computer tonight to check. What can I say; the support is incredible! thank you for catching that as I was multi-tasking today like so often and was trying not to make fathers day all about the pool which my dad who's visiting hasn't even been in even tho he's suffering with the heat since he's from MASS and my husband doesn't go in it much more than to manually vac it, either. :) I will reread a few things and see if i need to reply to anything tonight and then off to sleep and retest in the morn. I think I might've also messed up and didn't test CC. I'm going to have to make a cheat sheet or something! seems like i should test 3 times/day? morning to see how much the FC dropped, eve to see how much I need to add and after I add in the eve to see if I got it right? or do people skip the last one and trust their measurements and the pool math got it right? thanks

to confirm, In the morn I test for FC and CC only? thank u

Yes ^^^^ Then add enough chlorine to bring it up to SLAM level as well as give it a good brushing.

When your FC is over 10 your PH test will not be accurate.

-logging results-I have a small notebook I keep with my test kit. I find it easier to record if it is right there for me to write down. I do NOT want to take any chances of water messing up my laptop LOL Plus I am sure I would forget one of the numbers.

Pool Math=learning curve.......it is an awesome tool but I found I needed some time to learn all it could do. I always take a deep breath and make sure I can focus when I am using it so I don't forget to click on the correct areas/settings.

Kim:cat:

Glad you were able to stop by late last night - and even more glad you added the additional chlorine last night.

As Kim said - test in AM and add to SLAM level and brush.
If you're around mid day, test and add again. In the evening, test add again. If your schedule only allows the morning and evening "test and add", that's fine - more is better, but sometimes not possible.

You're doing good. The SLAM is probably the hardest part for new members to get their head around. For now you just need to trust in the process.

sounds good. going to try to do it as early as i can this morn. have the landscape guy on his way to look at edging he put in that my kid cut his foot on. will keep records in the kit. thx!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Since you added the CYA in a sock to the skimmer..... give the sock a few squeezes to help dissolve the CYA. Do this a couple times especially a day until it's all dissolved.

didn't do the test until 9:30 since landscaper showed up an hour early.
FC= took 26 drops so it's 13. CC= took 1 drop so it's .5. so i put too much chlorine last night. in trying to trust the process i knew i was a bit heavy with my hand, but i'll try to be more accurate next time. is that ok for the pool that i had that much chlorine in it? i don't want to ruin the pebble or plumbing or anything. maybe i won't squeeze the sock yet since it's so high? i'll check back for messages here and i can recheck the pool in the afternoon. since is it ok to run the pool on low or does it have to run on high?

It's fine that it was 13 - it won't ruin anything.

Squeeze the sock - that's not going to affect the FC level.The sooner the CYA is completely dissolved the better.

I think it's okay to run on low, as it's still circulating and filtering. Of course, the in-floor doesn't work as well due to the lower pressure. If it's not okay, someone with more experience will be along shortly to correct me.

• CC is 0.5 or lower;
When all three are true, you are done SLAMing and can allow the FC to drift down to normal levels.
The above is what I cut and pasted from you as my guideline as you know how anxious I am to get to finish the SLAM. No matter what, I can't bare to feel comfortable as we swim in the pool with this high level of chlorine. I'm doing the process, but still wanting to do it as exact as possible to finish ASAP. With that and even though you've been so diligent about being available, thinking ahead, tonight if I need to add more chlorine will I need to wait 1/2 hr or more and retest or will we simply rely on the math calculations to assume the less than 1ppm loss? If it's a matter of not going below 12 ppm for a certain amount of time and it makes the process go quicker, I'd be glad to get up in the middle of the night to add chlorine if needed. If it's more watching it's doing what it's supposed to with this part of the method then I'll leave it be. I still have a strong idea that with the skin being the largest organ in the body, rinsing off after the fact is only a small benefit, while the body already intook a large amount of chlorine. Also, my child with special needs has eczema which is one of the reasons we went with salt water, being another reason we're in a rush to get through the SLAM.

On another note, I turned it back to high and unless I hear different maybe I'll turn the filter back to low at 3p-6p. I opened the skimmer to squeeze the sock and almost died. Literally. What did I find there but a startled, fast, recluse spider on the sock, ready to defend itself I'm sure. I haven't seen a recluse spider here for a good 10 years and with kids I'm not happy about it. My husband goes out with the black lights to search for scorpians and black widows, but like the pool job, I might have to start helping. Where there's one there's gotta be more. Yikes. Not good. With those heebie jebbies, I squeezed half the sock and went on my way. I think I could squeeze the whole amount out of the sock if you recommend I do so. thanku

Funny you should talk about the OCLT! I was going to suggest your do one tonight! You are correct in the ending point of the SLAM! You are starting to really get it!

OCLT:

-When it is dark +30 mins-test FC........no need to add any chlorine so long as you are not at 0 or such. I think so long as the FC is at least at 5 you should be good.

-make sure SWG is off and NO tablets or such at in the pool.

-In the morning (before the sun hits the pool) redo your FC and CC test.

Let us know what your tests show!

-CYA-HAS no impact on your FC test results-all it does it help "shield" the FC from the sun so that it does not get burned off as fast. Go ahead and squeeze the whole sock full into the water. We do not want you to have to say Hi to your friend the spider again :shock: That had to be scary!

Funny you should talk about the OCLT! I was going to suggest your do one tonight! You are correct in the ending point of the SLAM! You are starting to really get it!

OCLT:

-When it is dark when the regular test kit is dark? I'm using the big kit. should i stick to the bigger kit until i'm done testing CC or switch over the the smaller kit now that the CC's consistently been low?+30 mins-test FC........no need to add any chlorine so long as you are not at 0 or such. I think so long as the FC is at least at 5 you should be good.

-CYA-HAS no impact on your FC test results-all it does it help "shield" the FC from the sun so that it does not get burned off as fast. Go ahead and squeeze the whole sock full into the water. We do not want you to have to say Hi to your friend the spider again :shock: That had to be scary!

Kim, thanku. I'm editing this so hopefully you'll see. it's not showing me blue when I post in within your quote so let's see if it shows up. I'm understanding it some, but that info about the OCLT was cut and pasted from one of proavia's posts. :) With that, I'm confused, again. R u saying that I am ok to now let the CC level go down to 5 ppm? also, did u mean doing on OCLT tonight or that i'm done tonight? thx!!

i just retested and FC is at 9.5 and CC is .5. almost zero. was faintly pink. i'm confused as to the last post if i need to add chlorine to get it back up to 12 again or if as long as it's high it's ok. I guess if we're just following the directions for how to know when the SLAM is done no need to add extra chlorine and from what I think you're saying Kim, I won't add anything unless I hear otherwise. Yeah. :) I"ll go and squoosh the sock, again. thx!

I'm big with understanding the how-to's. I'm thinking if the chlorine stays in the pool overnight within 1ppm it shows there is no algae eating the chlorine. does heat eat chlorine or more-or-less just sun and algae? and the CCs, I'll go back and research them but I remember them to be the yuckies. the "chlorine smell" noone likes to smell... Maybe I am getting it? :)

What you copy and pasted was when you know you are done with the SLAM. All three things have to happen BEFORE you are done:

• CC is 0.5 or lower;

What I wrote is how to do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test (OCLT):

OCLT:

-When it is dark +30 mins-test FC........no need to add any chlorine so long as you are not at 0 or such. I think so long as the FC is at least at 5 you should be good.

I am hoping what you meant when your wrote "ok to now let the CC level go down to 5 ppm?" should have said "ok to now let the FC go down to 5 ppm?"

FC=good-it is the available chlorine to kill all of the bad stuff

CC=bad-it is the bad stuff the FC killed. A CC of 1.0 or above means there is trouble in your water.

Here is your job tonight and the in morning:

-when it gets dark and has been for about 30 mins. go out and do a FC test and write it down.
-in the morning before the sun hits the pool do a FC AND CC test and write them down.
-post both of the results here so we can see what happened with the tests.

I hope this helps your confusion.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm big with understanding the how-to's. I'm thinking if the chlorine stays in the pool overnight within 1ppm it shows there is no algae eating the chlorine. does heat eat chlorine or more-or-less just sun and algae? and the CCs, I'll go back and research them but I remember them to be the yuckies. the "chlorine smell" noone likes to smell... Maybe I am getting it? :)

^^^^^^^ YES ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ You are getting it!

You are correct! The only thing that "eats" chlorine is algae and sun! That is why we do the OCLT at night. That takes sun out of the equation.

Add chlorine to get back to 12 - NOW..... the most important item in the SLAM is the "M" - MAINTAIN. This means if the test show FC less than the shock level (12 in your case) you need to add enough chlorine to get back to the shock level (12 for you).

This evening - test AFTER sunset (official sunset in PHX tonight is 7:39pm) - so between 7:40 and 8:00 if you can. Record that number - don't add any chlorine after that test.

Tuesday morning - test BEFORE sunrise (official sunrise in PHX tomorrow is 5:18 am) - so between 5:00 and 5:18. Definitely before sun hits the pool. Record that number.

After the morning test you will have two numbers:
PM test
AM test

Subtract AM TEST from PM test - the result equals the Overnight Loss. If the loss is 1.0 or less, you pass the OCLT.

Don't just swoosh the sock around - squeeze and knead it to help the CYA dissolve faster. The CYA may be softened enough now to dissolve if you squeeze it enough.

As far as the chlorine being above what you think is safe and what's really safe. You were NOT maintaining g an adequate FC level - that's why you got algae in the first place. It needs to be higher than you previously had it to protect you and your kids from bacteria, coli form and all kinds of other nasty stuff. In not maintaining it as we suggest, you are putting your family at risk.

As to the eczema - i think there was a post on here a few months back about it. If i recall correctly, the poster indicated their eczema or a family members was great improve with a slightly higher chlorine level than they thought was good. I think it actually was the recommend TFP levels that made the improvement. I'll look around to see if I can find it and link it here.

The recommended levels here will actually protect you and your family much better than what you were doing before. Wait and see.

It seems that you may think that swimming in a chlorine level at or below shock level is like jumping into a vat of gasoline. Let me assure you it is not! The chlorine will react with stuff on the surface of your skin - bacteria, germs, oils, sweat, etc. It will basically neutralize those items. The slight smell you may notice is the breakdown of those items on your skin. My personal opinion is that you are over thinking it and possible over reacting - most probably based on outdated and incorrect items you've read or heard.

As for chlorine drying out your skin - yeah, maybe it does a little. Some find that using certain moisturizers helps. Other may find that continued use at the levels recommended as safe will "magically" make the dry skin go away within a short while, without use of moistureizers, etc - just continued use of their pools.

As with most things, your mileage may vary.

Ultimately, it's up to you whether you swim in those safe levels or not.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.