Clearing algae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: main drain has dirt and debri sitting in the bottom-no suction?

thanks! going back and forth to the store is the last thing I want to spend my time doing but I know I need it fresh. How many gallons should I pick up? How often will I be using them? my husband just threw in 2 packages of granular chlor-brite from pool store tonight. I sent the msg off for the kit so I can get the discount and order it ASAP.

Since you don't have your testkit yet, I'd think 5 gallons would hold you over until it arrives. 1 gallon of 10% (128oz) will add 7ppm chlorine - 1 jug of 8.25% (121oz) will add 5.7 ppm chlorine. Once you get the chlorine/bleach, test for chlorine with the kit you presently have. If it's below 4ppm, add a full gallon now and maybe a half gallon every day until the TF100 arrives. It's going to be wicked hot (120*) this weekend - so test in AM and PM attempting to keep chlorine above 4. If you need to use more than 1/2 gallon per dosing to stay above 4, so be it. With algae in there, it's going to eat chlorine. Leave the pump running on present schedule and SWCG on too. Once kit arrives we will discuss further.

That chlor-brite is dichlor and added CYA. If the 30 CYA from Leslie's is even close, you should be okay though. Please don't add any more granular shock products though.

The chlor-brite is dichlor and will also add some CYA.

Who did you send a message off to about the discount?

Additionally, use pool math to lower your pH to 7.2. Be sure to set gallons to 14,000 first. Input the pH of 8.0 into now colum and 7.2 into target column. To the right of that it should tell you how much to add. Add that amount with the pump running and leave pump running for at least 30 minutes after adding. Wait 20-30 minutes between adding acid and chlorine so each mixes well first. Test PH again to see if you attained your goal. Adjust as needed.

after shocking the pool last night the pool has 5.0 chlorine. Also, even though my husband said he added 2 quarts of acid Sunday night I thought I should check since it seems I'm taking over the pool duties. needed another 2 pints, only 3 days later so what i'm thinking is he's either not measuring right, acid is getting eaten up super quickly, or it's not as powerful as it should be. the tech who came out from calpools yesterday said if the floor wasn't clean after running on full blast (returns on wall closed), call the warrantee dept. I woke up to a 7-8 sq ft area of pine needs, pods, in one corner and what looked like either dirt or algae across most of the pool floor. there were a few spots that showed triangles coming from the heads as if a few heads got stuck, which I did end up pushing a few heads back down-must have dirt stuck in them. I hesitated to brush it because I wanted them to see how it wasn't cleaning well, but reading on SLAM that brushing is important each day during and with how long it took them to get back to me last week I brushed the entire pool. seems like it was algae I was brushing mostly. In-floor won't move algae after shocking a pool, right? just dirt? went back and did a bit more brushing an hour later and there's still a fine coat of algae that got tossed around the pool and hasn't made it's way into the drain.

this leads me to a couple of questions. first, how happy will I be to buy the mixer with the kit or should I just brush each time? I think it's free shipping if u buy more than $100 worth of items but i'm sure I can find other things to buy and I imagine people here would help me spend my money if I asked. lol. like, advising on which pumis stone to buy or what I should purchase to clean my tiles that have calcium deposits after this year (from what I understand is from not adding enough acid/and keeping levels right) or I heard of someone on this site recommending a certain brush. seems to me there should be a different brush just for corners. a round brush, like the ones I use to clean out bottles at my kitchen sink.

After having hung out around the pool for an hour or so, checking levels, putting in acid, brushing, with the smell of the acid and chlorine I'm first glad that I got a salt pool, second, this is where I get to bring up my question to the most friendly forum where I've been told any question is a question that should be asked. I realize that salt water pools are chlorine pools. I bought salt water in part with the thought that there are no fillers in the chlorine. I have a chlorine filter on my shower and have thought about putting one on the house. I have read that chlorine is a carcinogen and I don't like the idea of it, although after having an aquaponic system in my backyard in the past and then considering swimming with the fish in a natural swimming pool in my backyard I relented and went with "traditional" salt. We eat organic, grow our own food and have chickens. Yes, I'm one of those. A little granola. So, I realize we need chlorine and when I lived in Guatemala for a year one of the Americans there used to add a drop of bleach to her water to drink to kill parasites and nasties... Before kids when I was more able to go backpacking I brought little tablet to put into my water that I would filter out of the stream if I ran out of water to kill nasties. so, I understand the need of it and as "natural" as I am, I want the least amount possible. from reading on this site so far I am getting that the levels of CYA and chlorine are important and levels of other things, ofcourse, but also I've heard it said more than once that people keep their chlorine at 4.0. I dont' understand the science and I can guess that I'll be told if that's what the pool needs that's what the pool needs and it's about levels and maybe if it's balanced the chlorine won't effect a person as much, won't smell it...?

At this point I can't say that my pool isn't green because of the suggestions of our pb or leslies was wrong because my lovely hubbie did not follow their recommendations, so I don't have a baseline to see how their recommendations work. I think what I'm getting out of reading this site is that the tfp method works, it's less $, water is crystal clear, but I also want a system that is better for a person's health and lower in chlorine or/and toxic chemicals. If I can get Maybe this is best for another thread, although I know I will read other's experiences and if nothing else, proavia, I'm hoping you will be able to answer this here where I feel settled with the answer anyway, but since I haven't battled with having used the pb's recommendations yet I don't know if it was going to be a battle. they say it's easy and if we're checking the chlorine, ph, acid, brushing once a week, backwashing/cleaning the filter as needed we shouldn't have a prob. I think they said we may have to add a few chlorine tabs during the hottest part of the summer or if going away on vacay. I'd like to know first if this statement is true. Sounds like it's not otherwise if it was so easy there wouldn't be this website. second, I would like to compare how healthy this method is to the method I just mentioned, assuming folks will add to the pb's recommendations saying it's baloney and it's not that easy, which would end up meaning I need to add algaesides... If I follow their recommendation it's looking like I need to add algaesides today because pool is not 100% aglae free. It's in the filter, it's making it's way to the drain, and I think there's still some on the steps.

that's been my main hesitation: 1. I don't have a good baseline to go on as nicely said "our family" truly never followed the pb's recommendations. 2. I don't want to use a lot of chemicals. 3. the use of bleach freaks me out a bit but I think i'm over that. if anything else the use of acid seems just as bad and I'm sure it'll burn a hole in my cement way before bleach, so if everyone here is using it I doubt it will damage my pool/equipment. 4. I thought I saw something about boric acid or something on this site. I don't have enough info to know what will be recommended to me with this method. Having said that I'd like to buy the kit today once I figure out what else to fill my shopping cart with to avoid shipping fees and makes a lot of sense to dive in, because I have so much support here and you all swear by the method! thank you and I look forward to gaining more of an education on these questions that have been lingering in my mind.

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't see the 3 posts above the one I just posted as my page timed out. will read now. I have to compliment this website in the quick responses and how good the site is where it often times (not always) saves what was written and if the page times out when I refresh it my draft is still there. Nicely done! In this case it wasn't still there but I knew better to cut and paste such a long post onto a work doc just in case. :)

I know you'd like to keep your chlorine consumption down, and weekly brushing will help with that even in a clean pool. Brushing dislodges algae and breaks the biofilm as it forms, wherever algae may be getting a start in areas of low circulation. Another tool in toolbox! Lots of people brush weekly, or have a robot with brushes, and touch up with the manual brush.

Needsajet, Thanku. I didn't see this as when I initially refreshed the page these new posts didn't show up for me. Almost makes me wish I had a robot. u mean a vac, right? that is one benefit I didn't think about regarding vac verses in-floor. Although, I have been saying I need to work out my upper body so I will look at brushing as that. I will make sure to brush at least once a week. I'm glad to hear it and gain that extra piece of education on the biofilm breaking down. That makes sense. If only I could make a brushing game for kids. If someone wants to earn some good money, invent shoes with brushes on them for kids or something. my kid complains the pebble is too rough anyway. it would take care of two probs at once. haha.

I'm going to try to write inside your quote in blue and see how it goes.
Since you don't have your testkit yet, I'd think 5 gallons would hold you over until it arrives. 1 gallon of 10% (128oz) will add 7ppm chlorine - 1 jug of 8.25% (121oz) will add 5.7 ppm chlorine. Once you get the chlorine/bleach, test for chlorine with the kit you presently have. If it's below 4ppm, add a full gallon now and maybe a half gallon every day until the TF100 arrives this sounds like a lot of chlorine! is this cuz it's like shocking the pool? so, my kids can't swim in it this week, then? t's going to be wicked ha ha. u r from the east coast. I only hear that word from people who r from the east coast (which I am too). hot (120*) this weekend - so test in AM and PM attempting to keep chlorine above 4. If you need to use more than 1/2 gallon per dosing to stay above 4, so be it. With algae in there, it's going to eat chlorine. Leave the pump running on present schedule and SWCG on too my present schedule is leaving the pump on 24 hrs/day, although i'm thinking of shutting it off during peak hrs 3-6. or did u mean 24 hrs? Once kit arrives we will discuss further.

That chlor-brite is dichlor and added CYA. If the 30 CYA from Leslie's is even close, you should be okay though. Please don't add any more granular shock products though

The chlor-brite is dichlor and will also add some CYA.which we want it low, right? do they do that cuz they have a different philosophy or cuz they r trying to get us to buy more products I wonder?!

Who did you send a message off to about the discount?yes and I am so impressed that I think I have an email and private message but wanted to get these posts taken care of first while everything was fresh in my head from cleaning the pool this morn. i'll check after this.

Additionally, use pool math to lower your pH to 7.2.acid test from calpools said to shoot for 7.4 so that's good to know u say 7.2. i'll check it again later and bet i'll have to add more. assuming I'm lowering it with acid, right? since my kit only has 10k and 15k and said shoot for 7.4 ph I put a bit less than it recommended for a pool size of 15000.Be sure to set gallons to 14,000 first. ,oh, yes, there's the handy calculator. i'm going to have to use tfp on my phone! Input the pH of 8.0 into now colum and 7.2 into target column. To the right of that it should tell you how much to add. Add that amount with the pump running and leave pump running for at least 30 minutes after adding. Wait 20-30 minutes between adding acid and chlorine so each mixes well first i really hope I can remember this step as time goes on. I do know to not leave acid and chlorine in the same shed but i forgot I was told to not mix it in the pool at the same time. it can blow up, right/ Test PH again to see if you attained your goal. Adjust as needed.
thanku!!

- - - Updated - - -

while i'm at Walmart are there any other things I need to pick up? I thought I read of boric acid or something. what other chemicals will I be needing with this method? thanku

HI! I am just now catching up on your thread! You have been in VERY good hands so far! THANKS Gene!

Do not buy anything else other than the chlorine and maybe the Muratic Acid (MA). The other stuff is for later IF at all. We shall see.

I love that you a wanting to learn the WHYS of how TFP works. We will teach you that as well! For right now can I ask you to trust us and do as we say? The teaching will come soon.

Kim:cat:

My answers in BLUE again

after shocking the pool last night the pool has 5.0 chlorine. Also, even though my husband said he added 2 quarts of acid Sunday night I thought I should check since it seems I'm taking over the pool duties. needed another 2 pints, only 3 days later so what i'm thinking is he's either not measuring right, acid is getting eaten up super quickly, or it's not as powerful as it should be. the tech who came out from calpools yesterday said if the floor wasn't clean after running on full blast (returns on wall closed), call the warrantee dept. I woke up to a 7-8 sq ft area of pine needs, pods, in one corner and what looked like either dirt or algae across most of the pool floor. there were a few spots that showed triangles coming from the heads as if a few heads got stuck, which I did end up pushing a few heads back down-must have dirt stuck in them. I hesitated to brush it because I wanted them to see how it wasn't cleaning well, but reading on SLAM that brushing is important each day during and with how long it took them to get back to me last week I brushed the entire pool. seems like it was algae I was brushing mostly. In-floor won't move algae after shocking a pool, right? just dirt? went back and did a bit more brushing an hour later and there's still a fine coat of algae that got tossed around the pool and hasn't made it's way into the drain.
If your Leslies results are to be believed, your CYA is at 30. In looking at the Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart for a CYA of 30 for a non-SWG pool, normal FC level is 2-4 and shock is 12. One gallon of 10% chlorine will add 7ppm in your 14k gallon pool. If you're at 5ppm now, adding that gallon (7ppm) will result in 12ppm (shock level for CYA 30). It is safe to swim if FC is at or above minimum (2 for a CYA of 30) and at or below shock level (12 for a CYA of 30) and you can see all the way to the bottom of the pool (safety for swimmers). pH needs to be between 7.2 and 7.8. With your Leslies reported TA of 130, you will see the pH rise quicker (we can work on minimizing this pH rise AFTER you complete your SLAM). If chlorine is between the minimum and shock level for your CYA and you can see all the way to the bottom, swim away. If you're that concerned about the higher CL level, rinse off with the hose or take a shower after you get out.

If cleaner heads are staying up, leave them that way for the warranty dept to see - or at least take pics of them. I'm thinking, even if you called them right now, they wouldn't come out until next week anyway - so, brush the sidewalls and floor to help break up what algae you can. A day or two before they show up, stop brushing the floor (but continue brushing the walls). In-floor might move a little algae around - brushing will help mix more into the water, and filter will remove the dead algae. The triangles on the floor from the in-floor can be addressed when the warranty dept comes out.

this leads me to a couple of questions. first, how happy will I be to buy the mixer with the kit or should I just brush each time? I think it's free shipping if u buy more than $100 worth of items but i'm sure I can find other things to buy and I imagine people here would help me spend my money if I asked. lol. like, advising on which pumis stone to buy or what I should purchase to clean my tiles that have calcium deposits after this year (from what I understand is from not adding enough acid/and keeping levels right) or I heard of someone on this site recommending a certain brush. seems to me there should be a different brush just for corners. a round brush, like the ones I use to clean out bottles at my kitchen sink.
I love my Speedstir and wouldn't be without it. If you don't have one, it may sound gimmicky. But I haven't seen anyone here not love it once they buy one. If you can swing it, get it (and any extra magnetic stir bar for an additional $2.00 each). Also, since you have algae and will be testing frequently in the beginning, get the TF100 w/ XL option (adds the 2 reagents you will use most often). I'm sure we can help spend your money on all sorts of neat pool stuff - later. First let's get the pool clean and sparkly.

After having hung out around the pool for an hour or so, checking levels, putting in acid, brushing, with the smell of the acid and chlorine I'm first glad that I got a salt pool, second, this is where I get to bring up my question to the most friendly forum where I've been told any question is a question that should be asked. I realize that salt water pools are chlorine pools. I bought salt water in part with the thought that there are no fillers in the chlorine. I have a chlorine filter on my shower and have thought about putting one on the house. I have read that chlorine is a carcinogen and I don't like the idea of it, although after having an aquaponic system in my backyard in the past and then considering swimming with the fish in a natural swimming pool in my backyard I relented and went with "traditional" salt. We eat organic, grow our own food and have chickens. Yes, I'm one of those. A little granola. So, I realize we need chlorine and when I lived in Guatemala for a year one of the Americans there used to add a drop of bleach to her water to drink to kill parasites and nasties... Before kids when I was more able to go backpacking I brought little tablet to put into my water that I would filter out of the stream if I ran out of water to kill nasties. so, I understand the need of it and as "natural" as I am, I want the least amount possible. from reading on this site so far I am getting that the levels of CYA and chlorine are important and levels of other things, ofcourse, but also I've heard it said more than once that people keep their chlorine at 4.0. I dont' understand the science and I can guess that I'll be told if that's what the pool needs that's what the pool needs and it's about levels and maybe if it's balanced the chlorine won't effect a person as much, won't smell it...?
When your pool is finally algae free, the SWCG will allow you to keep the FC at a lower level for your measured CYA than a non-SWCG pool. This is because the SWCG is producing chlorine over the span of pump run time. If adding chlorine manually, you dose all at once at a slightly higher dose so the chlorine will last until you dose again. You WILL need to have more chlorine in the water than you have had whether you have a SWCG or not. The reason you have had continuing algae outbreaks is do to too LITTLE chlorine. The low percentage of chlorine in the pool isn't going to hurt you - even up to shock level. Having too little though can expose you to all kinds of nasty stuff (bacteria, etc.). I'll take my chances on the water being sanitary versus having bacteria and who know what else in there. I can' t stress enough, FC level is in direct relationship to CYA level - here's the chart again... Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart .

What you are actually smelling isn't the chlorine, its the breaking down (by the chlorine) - oxidizing - of the sweat, organics, algae, etc in the water - called combined chloramines. That's the CC reading from your tests. The sun's UV rays will break down the CC - and we have plenty of FREE sun rays here.

At this point I can't say that my pool isn't green because of the suggestions of our pb or leslies was wrong because my lovely hubbie did not follow their recommendations, so I don't have a baseline to see how their recommendations work. I think what I'm getting out of reading this site is that the tfp method works, it's less $, water is crystal clear, but I also want a system that is better for a person's health and lower in chlorine or/and toxic chemicals. If I can get Maybe this is best for another thread, although I know I will read other's experiences and if nothing else, proavia, I'm hoping you will be able to answer this here where I feel settled with the answer anyway, but since I haven't battled with having used the pb's recommendations yet I don't know if it was going to be a battle. they say it's easy and if we're checking the chlorine, ph, acid, brushing once a week, backwashing/cleaning the filter as needed we shouldn't have a prob. I think they said we may have to add a few chlorine tabs during the hottest part of the summer or if going away on vacay. I'd like to know first if this statement is true. Sounds like it's not otherwise if it was so easy there wouldn't be this website. second, I would like to compare how healthy this method is to the method I just mentioned, assuming folks will add to the pb's recommendations saying it's baloney and it's not that easy, which would end up meaning I need to add algaesides... If I follow their recommendation it's looking like I need to add algaesides today because pool is not 100% aglae free. It's in the filter, it's making it's way to the drain, and I think there's still some on the steps.
Your pool is green do to lack of chlorine and a consistent maintenance schedule. Maintaining a pool is easy. We can help you attain that goal. IMHO, the TFP way is much easier - and that comes after 15 years of doing it the PB and PS way. Let's worry about what to do before vacation for after the pool is healthy again (yeah, we can help with that too). You don't need algaecides, Phos-Free, granular shock or any of the other stuff the PS/PB says you do. Algaecide really doesn't rid the pool of algae, it can be more of a preventative (especially for those who close their pools in the winter - which we don't).

that's been my main hesitation: 1. I don't have a good baseline to go on as nicely said "our family" truly never followed the pb's recommendations. 2. I don't want to use a lot of chemicals. 3. the use of bleach freaks me out a bit but I think i'm over that. if anything else the use of acid seems just as bad and I'm sure it'll burn a hole in my cement way before bleach, so if everyone here is using it I doubt it will damage my pool/equipment. 4. I thought I saw something about boric acid or something on this site. I don't have enough info to know what will be recommended to me with this method. Having said that I'd like to buy the kit today once I figure out what else to fill my shopping cart with to avoid shipping fees and makes a lot of sense to dive in, because I have so much support here and you all swear by the method! thank you and I look forward to gaining more of an education on these questions that have been lingering in my mind.
If the word "BLEACH" freaks you out, don't use that word - use "CHLORINE". Chlorine and acid are NEEDED to balance your pool water to make it SAFE and SANITARY for you and your family. Don't worry about borates for now. you're a ways from even considering using them right now.

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't see the 3 posts above the one I just posted as my page timed out. will read now. I have to compliment this website in the quick responses and how good the site is where it often times (not always) saves what was written and if the page times out when I refresh it my draft is still there. Nicely done! In this case it wasn't still there but I knew better to cut and paste such a long post onto a work doc just in case. :)

Oh no! Kim finally found this post - she's the QUEEN at spending other peoples money.... :shark:

In all seriousness, she's very knowledgeable on the TFP way and is our biggest cheerleader (in addition to helping spend other peoples money :laughblue:).
And she's already got you covered on what to buy (or not buy).

TFTestkits.net I will respond further tomorrow but for now, is this the test kit? tf 100 with xl option? should I get salt test strips or anything else besides the speedstir magnet with an extra magnet? i'm over my $100 to get free shipping so no need to buy anything more if i don't need it. :p I have the panel that tells me how much salt I have. can I trust technology enough? btw will I still ever have the pool store check my water to confirm test or r they able to test for anything I won't be able to test for? thx!

That is THE test! Good pick. It would not hurt to get the salt tests for just in case. Better to have and not need than to need and not have. Most people let the SWG tell them if it is happy but it is nice to know what level your salt is at if the SWG starts acting up.

Pool $tore testing-the only test we "allow" the P$ do is for metals. That one they seem to get right for some reason AND the home test kit is $$ .

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I haven't had much time here to answer the posts but for now I'll give an update. Shocked the pool Tuesday night with the stuff from Leslies. Pool looked pretty good Wed morn. I thought I might've saw some algae on the steps still but was hard to tell. it seemed to go away pretty quickly. Kept running the pump a lot over a few days. Got the pool grade bleach from Walmart Wed night. Added almost a gallon (I don't dive into many things, including a pool. ha ha. I tend to go slower). I'm not much of the blind faith kinda gal, but to some degree and for reasons such as the quantity and quality of people on this site, I'm going more blindly than I do most times while I gain understanding and try to trust this method. I've been brushing each morning. Yesterday morn I remember specifically brushing up a whitish powdery substance, especially on the side where the algae was. I'm assuming this is the residual dead algae? Today there still was a little bit and some papers or something that the in-floor didn't clean up. The pool looks pretty sparkly accept after I brush since it stirs stuff up. Added 1/2 10% gallon bleach last night. I've also been paying close attention to the pH and I've had to add acid every 2 days which I'm hoping this won't be the case as I get farther along in the method. I ordered the kit yesterday morn with everything that Kim and proavia recommended. still waiting for it to arrive. watched some BBB videos online which I remembered seeing when I was in the early process of building the pool.

The water's looking good and I know I still need to wait for the kit to go through the process but my main problem is that I don't feel comfortable having my kids swim in it, now, at least until a lot of the chlorine off-gasses, later in the afternoon, which I think goes against the method? I think i'm supposed to leave a high amount of chlorine in the pool and it's definetly going over 5 ppm (my test kit only measures up to 5). I feel like I'm going backwards and not having a salt water pool right now, so I'm struggling with that a bit, but I understand to some degree that this is part of the SLAM. I hope I don't have to add high levels of chlorine to my "easy to take care of natural" salt pool. The more videos I watch, the more I read I'll have to start wrapping my head around the idea that pools have chemicals in them and some chemicals help so that you don't have to add other chemicals as much. I'll be looking forward to that! Next steps? do I need to still keep adding 1/2 gallon chlorine and brushing each day? anything else for now? get a 2d pump for my in-floor? sigh. a call to calpools was made and we'll see how long it takes them to schedule an apt to come look at the in-floor. any more info for them coming out would be great. they pretty much tell me I have to brush everything into the drain in order for it to work or it takes a week or so for it to work. from the beginning paramount tells me I have to go through calpools. thank u

When you get your full test kit I bet we will see something with your TA that will explain your PH jumps. For right now you are doing everything you can.

Since you water is looking okay and you can see the bottom there is nothing wrong with letting the FC drift down for the kids to swim. The two main ones for comfort is FC and PH. It is up to you.

There are people who can only test and dose twice a day and they still end up with clear, clean pools. So if you let the FC dip down to swimming range for the kids no big deal other than Ms. Kim will be a HERO! hehe

When you get your full test kit I bet we will see something with your TA that will explain your PH jumps. For right now you are doing everything you can.

Since you water is looking okay and you can see the bottom there is nothing wrong with letting the FC drift down for the kids to swim. The two main ones for comfort is FC and PH. It is up to you.

There are people who can only test and dose twice a day and they still end up with clear, clean pools. So if you let the FC dip down to swimming range for the kids no big deal other than Ms. Kim will be a HERO! hehe

thx Kim! I am hoping my kit comes soon. I thought I saw something that said if you ordered before 2pm it'd come the same day, but maybe that's only for express shipping. I went with the free shipping that came with an order over $100. what would u consider the lowest number of FC that I could go down to in order for safety for swimming? What I will plan on doing is not adding chlorine tonight and seeing how low it drops tomorrow unless someone tells me otherwise. i run my pump all night so it will be interesting to see how much the salt cell is producing now that there's no algae and i'm going to be more diligent about checking level. Also, since it's supposed to be so hot this weekend. I've never not been able to see the bottom of my pool and I never plan to BTW!! I'm not too excited for how long it's taking the warrantee dept to get out to look at things. It's not like when they were building pools. they were more on top of it but i'm sure they have lots of people yelling at them to get their pools built who they r giving priority to. :cool:
lastly, i'm sure brushing helps tremendously but how often should i be brushing at this point? thx!!

Here is a chart for you:

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

It is safe to swim when the FC is just a bit under the SLAM level for your CYA.

That is sad you are having problems already/still :( I wonder if you are having scaling? Again this is something the test kit will help with.

I know about the free shipping buy have not heard of getting it the same day. Oh wait I know.........if you order before 2:00pm they ship it that day......not that you will get it but that they ship it... I bet that is what you saw.

In reference to the shipping: if ordered before their cut off time, it will ship same day. Free shipping is probably sent USPS Priority Mail. It will most likely take 2-3 days to arrive. Did you receive an email confirming your order? Did it include a tracking number? If so, you can track the shipment. If you didn't receive a tracking number, contact them and ask if they have one.

I will respond to a few of your responses a little later - as I'm on my tablet now. From the computer, it's easier to respond to specific items listed in your replies. :D

My relies in BLUE again....

I haven't had much time here to answer the posts but for now I'll give an update. Shocked the pool Tuesday night with the stuff from Leslies. Pool looked pretty good Wed morn. I thought I might've saw some algae on the steps still but was hard to tell. it seemed to go away pretty quickly. Kept running the pump a lot over a few days. Got the pool grade bleach from Walmart Wed night. Added almost a gallon (I don't dive into many things, including a pool. ha ha. I tend to go slower). I'm not much of the blind faith kinda gal, but to some degree and for reasons such as the quantity and quality of people on this site, I'm going more blindly than I do most times while I gain understanding and try to trust this method. I've been brushing each morning. Yesterday morn I remember specifically brushing up a whitish powdery substance, especially on the side where the algae was. I'm assuming this is the residual dead algae? Today there still was a little bit and some papers or something that the in-floor didn't clean up. The pool looks pretty sparkly accept after I brush since it stirs stuff up. Added 1/2 10% gallon bleach last night. I've also been paying close attention to the pH and I've had to add acid every 2 days which I'm hoping this won't be the case as I get farther along in the method. I ordered the kit yesterday morn with everything that Kim and proavia recommended. still waiting for it to arrive. watched some BBB videos online which I remembered seeing when I was in the early process of building the pool.
I'd put money o the fact that even though it looks better, the algae is still present - even if not totally visible. If blind faith isn't your kinda thing, how about trust? Have a little trust in us to help you get your pool back. It's not going to happen overnight. And if you aren't adding what needs to be added at the time it needs to be added, the SLAM will drag out. Believe in the fact that thousands of pool owners before you have come to believe in this process - and they haven't experienced any issues with the slightly higher chlorine levels.

While waiting for your test kit to arrive, continue to add 1/2 gallon of liquid chlorine (make every attempt to not let it go below 2 in this nasty heat this weekend), continue to brush daily and refresh yourself with the SLAM procedure. Adding 1/2 gallon of 10% liquid chlorine is only going to raise the FC 3.5ppm in your 14k pool.

The water's looking good and I know I still need to wait for the kit to go through the process but my main problem is that I don't feel comfortable having my kids swim in it, now, at least until a lot of the chlorine off-gasses, later in the afternoon, which I think goes against the method? I think i'm supposed to leave a high amount of chlorine in the pool and it's definetly going over 5 ppm (my test kit only measures up to 5). I feel like I'm going backwards and not having a salt water pool right now, so I'm struggling with that a bit, but I understand to some degree that this is part of the SLAM. I hope I don't have to add high levels of chlorine to my "easy to take care of natural" salt pool. The more videos I watch, the more I read I'll have to start wrapping my head around the idea that pools have chemicals in them and some chemicals help so that you don't have to add other chemicals as much. I'll be looking forward to that! Next steps? do I need to still keep adding 1/2 gallon chlorine and brushing each day? anything else for now? get a 2d pump for my in-floor? sigh. a call to calpools was made and we'll see how long it takes them to schedule an apt to come look at the in-floor. any more info for them coming out would be great. they pretty much tell me I have to brush everything into the drain in order for it to work or it takes a week or so for it to work. from the beginning paramount tells me I have to go through calpools. thank u
You are really going to need to get comfortable swimming with a higher FC level. If you don't, you are always going to have sanitation issues (bacteria, algae, etc.). It's safe to swim if your FC is between the minimum and shock level for your CYA, pH is between 7.2 and 7.8, you can see to the bottom of the pool. For right now and until you complete the SLAM, you need to treat your pool as a non-SWCG pool because your SWCG can not keep up with the demand placed on it by the algae outbreak. Chemicals we add to our pools are meant to protect us and keep us safe.

Don't worry about the infloor for now. You need to only concentrate on getting the algae eradicated. The infloor and any other issues can wait. Start to compartmentalize each INDIVIDUAL issue - it will help in making your pool much more trouble free. Notice I said "trouble free" not "maintenance free". You are still going to need to test and tweak a little, even once the SLAM is complete, the infloor working better, and the SWCG is dialed in. As I said before, probably about 5 minutes a day testing and maybe an additional 20-30 minutes once a week to brush and maintain the filter. During the swim season, you can probably even get the kids to help a bit with brushing. We can help you address the other issues once the SLAM is complete. I'd suggest not even having the PB come out to look at anything until AFTER the SLAM is complete - don't want them blaming the lack of cleaning on an algae bloom or "bad" water.

Hang in there and we will help you get through it all. Patience and believing will get you past this.

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post

Kim
thx Kim! I am hoping my kit comes soon. I thought I saw something that said if you ordered before 2pm it'd come the same day, but maybe that's only for express shipping. I went with the free shipping that came with an order over $100. what would u consider the lowest number of FC that I could go down to in order for safety for swimming? What I will plan on doing is not adding chlorine tonight and seeing how low it drops tomorrow unless someone tells me otherwise. i run my pump all night so it will be interesting to see how much the salt cell is producing now that there's no algae and i'm going to be more diligent about checking level. Also, since it's supposed to be so hot this weekend. I've never not been able to see the bottom of my pool and I never plan to BTW!! I'm not too excited for how long it's taking the warrantee dept to get out to look at things. It's not like when they were building pools. they were more on top of it but i'm sure they have lots of people yelling at them to get their pools built who they r giving priority to. :cool:
lastly, i'm sure brushing helps tremendously but how often should i be brushing at this point? thx!!

I really think it's better not to worry about TA right now. You have a SLAM to complete first.

Did you receive a tracking number yet? That should tell you the package location and possibly the anticipated delivery date.

Continue to brush daily - more if you want to. You still do have algae(it doesn't have to be visible to have it) and it would be a good idea to add the 1/2 gallon every night until the testkit arrives.
If we are to even remotely believe the PS test results for CYA - which said 30 - you need to keep the FC above 2ppm. It's truly not going to affect swimming if it's between the minimum of 2 and shock level of 12. If you are concerned, have everyone rinse off with the hose when they get out of the pool.

While I'm sure the PB building department is quite busy, the warranty department should be keeping up with customer demand - this helps build customer confidence. Unfortunately, many businesses don't see it that way. Once they have your money, they slack off.

got the kit this afternoon and finally got time to sit down, open it, and come to the computer. i'll go out now and test again for chlorine. it was pretty high this morn (looked like 4 on my regular/old kit), even without having added the 1/2 gallon last night as I thought I understood Kim saying I didn't need it. So i'm about to go out and test the chlorine with the new kit now and read the instructions. i'll come back to the computer to see if anyone saw this in time to make any more recommendations now that i have the kit. i'll dump another 1/2 gallon chlorine in and will look up the definition of scaling unless someone has a quick definition. seemed mostly to be where the algae was which is why I assumed it's dead algae. I'll also reread the SLAM process. thx!

I'd be interested to see, and can help if you have questions about the testing. I'll avoid the recommendations since you already have good cooks here coaching you along!

- - - Updated - - -

An article on scaling can be found here Pool School - Calcium Scaling

Leave the studying on scaling for a later date. After you do a quick chlorine check, kick back and relax. Better to be rested before your first testing with your new testkit.

Really, relax! It's much easier than it appears. Plan for first full set of tests in the morning sometime.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.