Cleaning the Baking Powder

Jun 25, 2013
Hello,

My pool is generally pretty easy to keep rolling but whenever it starts getting the green on the sides every few days, the likely antidote is the baking powder.

I had it tested and they wanted me to add like 39Lbs, split in thirds to be placed in every four hrs.

I despise using this stuff because each time I'm told, oh it dissolves easy. Well, no, it does not. It ends up leaving residue for days on end and is a real bear to get back to normal.

I run my pool cleaner just to lift it up so it will cycle but the stuff also slows that down as well.

Is there a better way to do this?

I have an in ground, vinyl, DE.

Thanks

Eric

Hello!

Baking soda will just raise your TA, it has nothing to do with the sanitation of your pool.

I'm afraid you were given very bad advise.

How do you normally test and sanitize? Do you use chlorine?

Well, I've been told this a couple years from a pool store. I mean they run my water test and do the usual print of the results. By raising the TA, according to them will stabilize things. In any case the bigger question is about getting rid of the residue. I use chlorine and water is nice and clear when that stuff settles.

It was clear even with the green algae on sides, just growing too fast.

Appreciate the help.

Eric

Hello!

Baking powder will just raise your TA, it has nothing to do with the sanitation of your pool.

I'm afraid you were given very bad advise.

How do you normally test and sanitize? Do you use chlorine?

Hello,

Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks, Eric

Yes Eric, there is a better way... It is called Trouble Free Pool Care...

Step one... Quit going to the pool store where they have no clue what they are doing..

Step two.. Read our Pool School and then decide if you want to follow the TFP pool care method, or not...

Pretty simple...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Chlorine is basically the only thing (not sure about baquacil?) thing that "cleans" (sanitizes) your pool. What they are asking, is which products are you using to chlorinate your pool? Are you using bleach? Are you using a powder (granules) of some kind? Are you using those chlorine "pucks"? Knowing which product your using is important, it will let the people who are trying to help you know what else is being added to your pool besides the chlorine itself.

The biggest issue is those pucks and sometimes powders contain stabilizer (known as CYA). It's not good to have a consistent rising level of CYA in the pool. You want to keep all of your pool chemistry in a target "range". Those pucks will push your CYA levels quickly too high, and no matter how much chlorine you add, your still going to have algae in the water. The other normally bad thing is calcium. Too much calcium makes the water very hard. If your using a "Cal-Hypo" product (calcium hyopchlorite) then your water hardness is going to start to climb too high. Both are problems that normally result in needed to drain half or more of your pool and refilling with fresh water.

Baking soda does not clear algae. It increases your total alkalinity. It affects the "pH" range of your pool. Having a total alkalinity level too high or too low is bad.

Pool store employees can be poorly trained and not really knowledgeable about pool water chemistry. The people testing your water may know only how to run the machine, and take what it say as gospel truth. It creates a "report" of which products you need to buy. They run the test, give you the report, and try to sell you whatever is on the list.

EDIT: I'll say that this is "generally" the case. There very well may be some great mom and pop pool stores out there where they really understand pool chemistry and really do know the in's and out's of taking care of a pool. I would venture these are few and far between... so as unfair as it is, it's safe to assume the store your going to is one that really has no clue. They "trust the machine" and whatever it tells them to tell you to buy. I support this conclusion, IF, they are the ones who told you to add baking soda to get rid of the algae.

Some times they don't even really ask the important questions. Like how you were previously caring for the pool, or if you have a vinyl liner or not, or if your using a salt water system or not. They just run the machine, the machine does the thinking, and they do the selling. Not a good way to do things. The pool store results can also be wildly inaccurate if the machine isn't properly and regularly calibrated.

Thanks for the great run down. I think the place I go to is generally good but it does sound like they need work in this area.
I've tried multiple chlorines and have in past two years found I like this Clorox brand of powder. They make the pucks too but usually drop a couple pounds a week or sometimes twice a week.

Eric

Well it must be baking soda then. But if only one of the two is the right one I guess I figured that would have been obvious. Sounds like there's no instance in which baking powder is used. So I'm sure it would be the baking soda. That would be good to know if that's correct. At least for my sanity. However the main point of my question and this is all good to know as well but the main point of my question was it this stuff doesn't dissolve worth a darn. And it leaves a lot of residue at the bottom that I have to churn up until it eventually goes away. And already five days later there's still a bunch in there.

Well it must be baking soda then. But if only one of the two is the right one I guess I figured that would have been obvious. Sounds like there's no instance in which baking powder is used. So I'm sure it would be the baking soda. That would be good to know if that's correct. At least for my sanity. However the main point of my question and this is all good to know as well but the main point of my question was it this stuff doesn't dissolve worth a darn. And it leaves a lot of residue at the bottom that I have to churn up until it eventually goes away. And already five days later there's still a bunch in there.

The powder may not dissolve because the water is already saturated with that chemical. Very important that you take on the role of water tester by purchasing a good quality pool water chemistry test kit. There are two that are generally suggested—one is Taylor 2006c (buy on Amazon) and the other available on the TFP website I believe the TF-100. I have both but am much happier with the TF-100 with the magnetic stirrer. Since we have no idea if your (or any) pool store gets accurate results with their tests it is better that you test your own water and provide us with a list of the results. Also please add information details about your pool (size? Above ground or inground, vinyl or plaster, size and shape) and then the results of chemical tests for, Free chlorine (FC) combined chlorine (CC) pH, Total alkalinity, Total hardness, and Cyanuric Acid (CYA). This will help the experts here (crowns next to their names) analyze your potential issues and for yourself as you begin to take over the main responsibility to maintain proper chemistry in your pool by yourself with lots of help from many on this forum. Important to read the white papers on the website, and to download a copy of Pool Math to enter your chemistry results and it will provide an analysis of the chemicals (all easily available in the grocery store, except CYA) needed to add.

This method works and is much less expensive and less frustrating, but you need to pay attention to what your pool is telling you in detail. Good luck!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Please be sure, and clear on what your adding to the pool. Are you adding baking powder, or baking soda?

You should NEVER put baking powder in the pool. You should only put baking soda in the pool when your TA is low.

You say you have "about" 18,000 gallons. How did you come up with this number? Did you measure your pool?

Sounds like you've already added a ton of baking soda to the pool. I would stop adding any more.

In terms of your original question, I don't add a lot of baking soda to my pool and I don't add it all that often. Maybe
3 to 4 pounds last year and another 3-4 pounds this year (had to put about 3000-4000 gallons of water in the pool since
last winter, and a decent amount of rain water dilution).... and I've found that even adding that small of an amount I still
needed to sweep the residual settlement off the bottom of the pool for 2-3 days before that stopped. It's pretty normal
in my experience and again I added a lot less than it sounds like you did.

You do not want a sky high TA level.

oh eric. i dont know what to say, you have been pool stored badly
please take a water sample to a few different shops and post their results
do not add anything further except chlorine
long term you will need to purchase a quality test kit and learn how to test and care for your pool yourself

Your pool should never have green it it. Your water chemistry is probably very off as pool stores tests are either not accurate or rushed and done improperly leading to buying stuff your pool doesn’t need.

If you take 30 minutes to scroll through this forum you’ll see time after time the same recommendation. Some folks take the advise others don’t.

Im not sure where you’re pool is located but if you don’t drain for the winter you will probably always fight algae and be spending too much money on things you don’t reallu need.

It’s your choice but I’d get one of the test kits mentioned above and take full control of my pool.

Its all about the water chemistry and know how to balance your water.

IF your pool volume is 18000 gallons, and IF it is baking soda being added to the pool, that would drive your TA to 155 per pool math assuming you had zero TA to begin with (which is nearly impossible without specialized filtration like RO). IMO this is bad advice from the pool store employee.

Follow the advice from the good folks here and they will guide you through the process to have a clean, clear and trouble free pool. It's not difficult work, but requires commitment to learning and spending a few minutes with your pool each day.

I'm wondering if the pool store didn't suggest using baking *soda* almost as cleanser on stains? It certainly isn't a sanitizer, but people use the stuff on their teeth all the time in hopes of scrubbing off stains....y'know?

If one of their employees were confused on the purpose and gave faulty directions, maybe that is the cause of this confusion?

I would be very hesitant to use any Clorox product (be it granules or pucks) as some of them contain copper which can be a huge problem to pools (and cause stains!)

Maddie :flower:

Just thought I'd provide an update here. Just for clarification, I'm sure this was baking soda as someone above noted that yes, that would help balance the water. The good news is the green algae that was building up has been gone for a week. Bad news is this stuff is STILL not dissolved. Now, when I say dissolved, that might not be the correct word but it leaves a cloud layer that settles along the corners in bottom of pool, around steps. I don't think I will ever use this stuff again. I've been circulating my pool as normal, water is clear but it can't get down to get this so I purposely use my robot cleaner to circulate it around to better go through filtration. So, once I do that of course the whole pool is cloudy until the next morning where it has settled again. There has to be a better way than tossing 25-30 lbs of this stuff in the pool.

I should add that it's hard to circulate too and I have to bump the pump a lot because I'm sure all of this is loading down my filter.

Appreciate ideas. At this rate by the time it clears, the season will be over.

Eric

If it is baking soda you are seeing you just need to keep brushing until it dissolves. There is a better way: stop listening to the pool store and stop "tossing" stuff into your pool. My best guess is your actually seeing dead algae settling on the bottom of the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.