Lost my Taylor test kit tiny blue spool for the CL powder test - anything around the house I can use instead?

Skenn81

Apr 23, 2018
Florida
It was a tiny pinch of powder, I dont actually know how much it was but it was small. Is there anything that is the same size that is easy to obtain? What if I put in too much, will that mess up the test? Since I cant accurately measure it now just have to hope for the best and put some in.

Not sure how I lost it, have had it for over 5 years and suddenly it has disappeared.

I think it is a 2g spoon? I saw something about that on the Taylor website but not sure if it's the same spoon.

The powder does not need to be accurately measured. Use any small flat stick to pickup a bit of powder and drop it in the vial. As long as the water turns red and you have a bit of undissolved powder the test will be good.

A spoon package should be a reward for a donation...

Reactions: JamesW and jsygrls
Every time I've bought the powder in the last couple years, it has come with a spoon. Also, my own testing of amounts said to me you can use too little to get an accurate result, but too much seems to not be a problem. I used the same water with a clean spoon slightly heaping, a clean spoon with a real heaping fill, and two slightly heaping spoons full. Got the same answer three times. However once the spoon has a permanent caked look, I always go very heaping spoon.

Well, I am sure Sarah and Nate would throw in a spoon on your next order if you asked.

Here's an easy work around. Find something around the house like a popsicle stick....even the small end of a regular plastic spoon.

Scoop enough powder to be bigger than a BB but slightly smaller than a pea. The exact amount is not critical, just use good judgement.

It will probably have a few grains still swirling when you put it in the sample but that's OK......the test is still valid.

I'll put it in the notes for my next test kit order.

So from what I am reading, you can't put too much of the powder in, just too little? I have those little coffee stirrer things that would work then. Since it's not an exact measurement I think I'll be fine then for the next time.

@jsygrls I am up in Daytona every couple of months, if it gets to the point that I am in an absolute spoon emergency I will let you know! Thanks for offering.

Reactions: jsygrls
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.