NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
My pool was built 2021 and I’ve yet to clean the salt cell (Hayward). I’ve opened it at least twice per season when the light comes on to service it and each time it looks clean to me without any build up. It’s still too cold to open so I’ll be looking again as it gets closer to opening but is it ever worth it to do a preemptive cleaning on a unit like this?

If its clean (no calcium buildup) then no need to clean it!
Cleaning with acids -aka- vinegar/Muriatic acid (even diluted ones) remove some of the “magic” coating on the plates each time reducing the cell’s lifespan so preventing the need for cleaning in the first place is recommended. Keeping ch & csi in check by following Recommended Levels

Getting close to opening but still on the cooler side. Maybe another week. I opened the SWG and it looked clean so didn’t bother with muriatic rinse like I was worried I have to. I didn’t see any build up at all on the cell inside which is reassuring.

Attachments

• IMG_6844.jpeg
    IMG_6844.jpeg
    215.8 KB · Views: 19
Reactions: Mdragger88
Great 👍🏻
Don’t wait too long to open/get the pool going (even if you keep it covered).
You want to have it running & be properly chlorinated when the water temps start climbing above 60 degrees F.

Getting close to opening but still on the cooler side. Maybe another week. I opened the SWG and it looked clean so didn’t bother with muriatic rinse like I was worried I have to. I didn’t see any build up at all on the cell inside which is reassuring.
Hopefully you looked from both ends of the cell in good lighting (or shined a light thru it).

If it ever does have buildup, try removing it with a blast of water first, then try a wooden skewer/popsicle stick or plastic zip-tie. If there is still a buildup, then try with vinegar.

Yes. I looked on both ends. Thought to myself maybe no salt on this side but it all builds up on the other? But thankfully clear on both ends.

Yes. I looked on both ends. Thought to myself maybe no salt on this side but it all builds up on the other? But thankfully clear on both ends.
It wouldn’t be salt buildup. It would be calcium /scale - thus the recommendation to keep ch & the other parameters in check that affect csi to keep csi slightly negative to prevent scaling in your swcg & your pool.
You can turn on csi tracking in
PoolMath to calculate this easily 😊

Woops. I knew what I was looking for but just was typing quick before leaving for the morning! Either way, I appreciate the help and I hope I’m in the clear for a bit longer still.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support