Chlorine Vanishing

Kkovacs

Jul 3, 2020
Manteca ca
Good evening all. I checked my chemicals. Last night. PH is at 7.2. My chlorine was real low. I put 94 oz in last night. I check my levels an hour ago and it only measured at .5. I’m going for at least 3. Any suggestions? Should I add more conditioner?

Give us a full set of current test results, please.
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Salt if applicable

Do you know that the 94 ounces of liquid chlorine met your goal after mixing in? Any signs of algae? Tons of kids (with pee) in the pool today???
How does your water look?

Maddie :flower:

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Salt if applicable

Do you know that the 94 ounces of liquid chlorine met your goal after mixing in? Any signs of algae? Tons of kids (with pee) in the pool today???

Fc 1
Cc 1.2
PH 7.2
TA 45
Ch 142
Cya 30

I just added a gallon of liquid conditioner to bring my cya up. And I will add a gallon of chlorine tonight. Water looks good.I don’t see any algae. Only 1 kid swam today and none yesterday. I do need to get my calcium up. I have a lot of white with discoloration on my plaster as well. I don’t see any flakes fly up though. I’m not sure if the 94 got me in range. I forgot to check it last night.
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Salt if applicable

Okie dokie....for a CYA of 30, you should be aiming to keep your FC between 4-6ppm, with 2ppm the absolute minimum.
You're all set up for algae and need to get more chlorine in there STAT! 👩‍⚕️

Who tested this water?? Those aren't normal test results, so I have to question if you need your own test kit? It is VERY important.

Who tested this water?? Those aren't normal test results, so I have to question if you need your own test kit? It is VERY important.

I have my own test kit. But I am out of the r-0013 for the cya levels. So I took it to Leslie’s s. I checked my chlorine ahead of time and it was about 1. Thata what Leslie’s tested as well. I felt like when I tested my alkalinity I was closer to 60. Yet they said I’m at 45. I need to order refills for my Taylor kit

Okie dokie....for a CYA of 30, you should be aiming to keep your FC between 4-6ppm, with 2ppm the absolute minimum.
You're all set up for algae and need to get more chlorine in there STAT! 👩‍⚕️
I just put in a gallon of stabilizer and 164 ounces of chlorine. Should I recheck in two hours?

Well, per the classic version of Pool Math's "Effect of Adding Chemicals" that gallon of CYA raised your CYA 16ppm. And each gallon of 10% LC gives you 4ppm FC.
That’s what I got too. What should the difference be between my FC and CC when I retest?

At by

i added 164 ounces of chlorine. It brought my chlorine level to 3. Looks like I need to throw another gallon in tomorrow

Last edited by a moderator:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
so even without swimmers you'll lose some daily.
And by 'some', she means that sunny California may easily lose more than our average 4 ppm FC per day peak season loss.

The FC charts and pool math are GREAT. But they don't know what your recent loss has been. Nor do they know you are in CA and not Toronto. So you need to apply your recent findings to the chart, and dose so that you never approach minimum between now, and your next test/dose time.

lc_chart.jpg

Is it common in California to go from 6 ppm of chlorine down to less than 1 in three days? I think my CYA is around 30.
Goodness yes. It's common in the early spring to lose 2ppm a day, and up to 4ppm a day now. 5 or 6 ppm a day is possible in the hot climates.

Reactions: mgtfp
I felt like when I tested my alkalinity I was closer to 60. Yet they said I’m at 45

Leslie's usually reports "adjusted" Alkalinity, which helps them to sell more baking powder because it makes Alkalinity look lower.

Everything on TFP is based on "real" Total Alkalinity as measured with the Taylor reagents. Trust that value, and ignore what you got from Leslie's.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.