Jul 22, 2023
Sarasota, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hello,

So I'm new to managing my pool chemicals. Pool (12x24) is almost 3 months old and has a saltwater generator, and has a screened enclosure. First two months the pool contractor took care of maintenance and I recently took over. I just got through a couple of days of heavy rain and thought we needed to check chemicals so I check on the reagent Chlorox test kit until my Taylor K2006 SALT arrives. Added 5 drops of reagent and chlorine side turns very bright yellow so thought it was high based on that.

I took a sample to Pinch a Penny and got the following readings:
Total Chlorine: 0
Free Chlorine: 0
Combined Chlorine: 0
PH: 8.0
Acid Demand: 4 drops
Alkalinity: 80
Calcium Hardness: 500
Stabilizer: 30
Salt: 2800

They told me to add some muriatic acid (4 cups), stabilizer (2 pounds), and put my saltwater chlorine generator on boost mode and keep it running to see if chlorine goes up. I did all of those things.

I also bought the strips and on those ones it also reads 0 or close to 0 chlorine readings. Anybody have any idea what could be causing this discrepancy or am I doing something wrong? I thought the saltwater generator was used to keep chlorine levels at acceptable ranges. I had it at 50% as recommended by the pool builder is it not working? I'm just worried with this whole situation. Is this normal or does this happen a lot after heavy rain? The pool looks really good to be honest I don't understand could something be wrong?

I also bought the strips and on those ones it also reads 0 or close to 0 chlorine readings. Anybody have any idea what could be causing this discrepancy or am I doing something wrong? I thought the saltwater generator was used to keep chlorine levels at acceptable ranges. I had it at 50% as recommended by the pool builder is it not working? I'm just worried with this whole situation. Is this normal or does this happen a lot after heavy rain? The pool looks really good to be honest I don't understand could something be wrong?
Don't panic. You're in good hands. Although SWGs are great at maintaining FC levels, they don't do a great job of bumping up levels quickly. Just maintain levels with liquid for now. Post results when you get your kit.

Reactions: markayash
Hello,

So I'm new to managing my pool chemicals. Pool (12x24) is almost 3 months old and has a saltwater generator, and has a screened enclosure. First two months the pool contractor took care of maintenance and I recently took over. I just got through a couple of days of heavy rain and thought we needed to check chemicals so I check on the reagent Chlorox test kit until my Taylor K2006 SALT arrives. Added 5 drops of reagent and chlorine side turns very bright yellow so thought it was high based on that.

I took a sample to Pinch a Penny and got the following readings:
Total Chlorine: 0
Free Chlorine: 0
Combined Chlorine: 0
PH: 8.0
Acid Demand: 4 drops
Alkalinity: 80
Calcium Hardness: 500
Stabilizer: 30
Salt: 2800

They told me to add some muriatic acid (4 cups), stabilizer (2 pounds), and put my saltwater chlorine generator on boost mode and keep it running to see if chlorine goes up. I did all of those things.

The pool store testing and strips are known to be u reliable so no surprise there.

Hi guys so I finally got my K2006 kit and tested my pool water. Result is as follows:
Free Chlorine: 7.4
Combined Chlorine: 0.2 (I'm not even sure it even turned from clear after the FC test, but 0.2 at the most I would say)
PH: 7.8-8.0? (This is the one I struggle with the most because it is still subjective color matching)
Acid Demand: 1 drop
Alkalinity: 100
Calcium Hardness: 660
CYA: 70
Salt: 3800

Now I got the following question I would appreciate if anybody could help me. My SWG is running at 50% right now would you guys recommend I turn it off for a few days or better to lower to say 40 or 30% for the next week?

Also am a little bit worried with the calcium hardness being so high. The pool is like three months old. Should I keep an eye on it for now or you guys recommend I drain like 10-20% and refill and rebalance? Water looks clear, clean, and beautiful though. A very mild chlorine smell but I suspect the high chlorine content is to blame there, also a little bit salty but I don't mind that.

Reactions: Rancho Cost-a-Lotta
Hi guys so I finally got my K2006 kit and tested my pool water. Result is as follows:
Free Chlorine: 7.4
Combined Chlorine: 0.2 (I'm not even sure it even turned from clear after the FC test, but 0.2 at the most I would say)
PH: 7.8-8.0? (This is the one I struggle with the most because it is still subjective color matching)
Acid Demand: 1 drop
Alkalinity: 100
Calcium Hardness: 660
CYA: 70
Salt: 3800

Now I got the following question I would appreciate if anybody could help me. My SWG is running at 50% right now would you guys recommend I turn it off for a few days or better to lower to say 40 or 30% for the next week?

Also am a little bit worried with the calcium hardness being so high. The pool is like three months old. Should I keep an eye on it for now or you guys recommend I drain like 10-20% and refill and rebalance? Water looks clear, clean, and beautiful though. A very mild chlorine smell but I suspect the high chlorine content is to blame there, also a little bit salty but I don't mind that.
For the FC test switch to using the 10ml sample instructions. It’s plenty accurate enough and will save you reagent and your brain cells by not having to do the complicated math.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.