Chlorine loss problem

Is there anywhere that algae could be hiding in plain sight ? Ladder rails, light niches, autofills, the foam on the back of the skimmer door, etc etc etc.
Update from Sunday.

Did a OCLT overnight. Chlorine loss was 5-6ppm. Also did a test at pool shop this morning to confirm, my testing levels as follows:
TA 135
pH 7
FC 3.6
Salt 3900 (have now added 60kg of salt)
CH 327
CYA 44
Phos 0

To give context to above results.
- 10 days ago I completed a slam. Had no chlorine loss over night
- only changes since then was to add 2kg of CYA using old sock and 8kg of calcium. These chemicals were added last week. Re CYA the 2kg was added to existing level of 40ppm (so I have not got any real increase). CYA would be at most 1 month old
- maybe 2 swims since slam.
- only added a small amount of water.
- water is crystal clear, no signs of algae. I have limited places it could be.

It seems bizarre to get such large chlorine loss only 10 days out from a slam with no real change since slam was finished.

Yes. But I have trimmed the entire outside inch off and it was also been used during the slam and when there was no chlorine loss at the end of the slam. I was also have chlorine loss when the cover was not on.
Below is a photo of the cover. It is made of 100s of cushions all isolated from each other. There was muck in a few cushions that were cut open on the edges, but the rest are still intact and sealed. IMG_5116 Medium.jpeg

Update from Sunday.

Did a OCLT overnight. Chlorine loss was 5-6ppm. Also did a test at pool shop this morning to confirm, my testing levels as follows:
TA 135
pH 7
FC 3.6
CH 327
CYA 44
Phos 0

- only changes since then was to add 2kg of CYA using old sock and 8kg of calcium. These chemicals were added last week. Re CYA the 2kg was added to existing level of 40ppm (so I have not got any real increase). CYA would be at most 1 month old

It seems bizarre to get such large chlorine loss only 10 days out from a slam with no real change since slam was finished.
Just on the CYA levels. In the last 2 months I have added 9-10kgs of CYA. Yet the current level is 44ppm. So something is destroying my CYA.

It's a bit difficult to keep the complete picture, it would help if you could share your PoolMath logs.

It sounds like you keep adding CYA, Calcium and Salt. That sounds like a big leak to me.

Adding nearly 40ppm worth of CYA and registering nothing seems impossible under normal circumstances.

Update from Sunday.

TA 135
pH 7
FC 3.6
CH 327
CYA 44
Phos 0

your fc is way too low for your cya level
are you testing before swg starts or at end of cycle

It's a bit difficult to keep the complete picture, it would help if you could share your PoolMath logs.

It sounds like you keep adding CYA, Calcium and Salt. That sounds like a big leak to me.

Adding nearly 40ppm worth of CYA and registering nothing seems impossible under normal circumstances.
Unfortunately I only have the free version of the app so no logs. However, today was the first time in about 4 months for adding salt. I don’t think that I have added calcium in more than 12 months. It is only chlorine and CYA that is a disappearing. While I suspect I may have a small leak, there is nothing significant as I top up water levels manually and probably add about 2 inches a week Ie 0.5% of volume a week.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Seeing as I have just gone through a similar scenario, (even still my FC is still tapering off from the SLAM levels 3 weeks later!) I credit my success (so far) to Bio-Klenz.
Maybe you need to bite bullet & buy a bottle and pop in the recommended quantity.

Seeing as I have just gone through a similar scenario, (even still my FC is still tapering off from the SLAM levels 3 weeks later!) I credit my success (so far) to Bio-Klenz.
Maybe you need to bite bullet & buy a bottle and pop in the recommended quantity.
I have been thinking that. It is the only thing I haven’t tried. Just need to find a place around here that stocks it. My normal pool shop didn’t have it.

Listen to Youfah Mizzum: You should get the BioKlenz that was recommended to you weeks ago. Add the appropriate amount initially and use as recommended as a maintenance chemical. Also, you pH @7.0 is too low.
As mentioned previously, when you first add the BioKlenz your chlorine may dissipate quickly for a few days. I recommend you super chlorinate prior to it's addition or right after. This product will solve your chlorine loss issue.

Unfortunately I only have the free version of the app so no logs. How
Upgrade for $7. *for the year*. It's mere peanuts and is worth it for you to see your history and is really REALLY worth it when you have issues and the TFP experts can see it, possibly spotting trends you've missed and hatching a better plan forward.

Listen to Youfah Mizzum: You should get the BioKlenz that was recommended to you weeks ago. Add the appropriate amount initially and use as recommended as a maintenance chemical. Also, you pH @7.0 is too low.
As mentioned previously, when you first add the BioKlenz your chlorine may dissipate quickly for a few days. I recommend you super chlorinate prior to it's addition or right after. This product will solve your chlorine loss issue.
Yes. Although a number of posters thought it was unnecessary. Just need to find a shop that stocks it.

Starting levels at midday Wednesday

TA 135
pH 7
FC 3.6
CH 327
CYA 44
Phos 0

updates since Wednesday:

Wednesday night: added liquid chlorine to boost level to 12ppm. Overnight set SWG at 0%.

Thursday:
During the day SWG at 100% for 13 hours. Thursday night FC at 6.5ppm. Added liquid chlorine to boost to 10ppm. Also did acid bath of cell as noticed some sediment (possibly due to high TA) and added 400gm of pH up to get to 7.4 pH.

Friday:
During the day SWG at 100% for 13 hours. Thursday night FC at 10.5. Overnight SWG set at 0%.

Saturday:
morning: FC at 9ppm and CYA at <30ppm
Put SWG at 0% for the day
2pm: FC at 7ppm
Saturday afternoon pool was well used 8x swimmers. Cover off for 6 plus hours.

Sunday
Morning: FC at 5.5ppm, CYA <30ppm
I also tested a sample of water that was removed from the pool on Wednesday, CYA at ~40ppm (similar to levels when water was tested on Wednesday)

So it seems that the chlorine loss is greatly reduced / under control. But I still had CYA loss of >15ppm in the pool over 3 days with the cover on the whole time. Sample removed in the pool did not have the same loss.

Have order bio-klenz online. Should arrive shortly and will add that. But still at a loss as to what is happening with the CYA loss. With the chlorine loss, I did notice that it started reducing when I removed the sock that I use to add the CYA. Not sure if that could be the source but won’t be using any longer just in case.

If you’re mixing pool store cya tests (& others) with your own they undoubtedly will be different & all over the place.
Stick with your own results for comparisons.
Is your cya reagent old? It’s quite robust but it does get old especially if exposed to light or temp fluctuations. When I got my last new bottle I realized my old stuff was yielding lower results.
Some folks in the US have reported experiences of less potent cya also. You may want to try a different brand. Not sure what the weather is like there but in the height of swim season you should aim for around 70ppm cya. May want to aim for 50 initially & do another
Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to be safe before raising to 70.
If you’re putting the sock in the skimmer & then backwashing within a week you may be losing some of your cya. Try hanging the sock infront of a return so it is distributed into the bulk of the pool water immediately & none is trapped in the filter.
Btw- cleaning your cell with acid reduces its life. Try to gently use a credit card or popsicle stick before resorting to vinegar or next diluted acid.
Keeping csi in line (slightly negative)should help prevent scaling so the cell doesn’t require cleaning - turn on csi tracking in poolmath.
What is your water temp?
You can point your jets up & run any water features to increase ph without increasing ta.

Reactions: mgtfp and Newdude
Please report your findings, especially chlorine loss, after you give the Bio-Klenz a week or so to begin it's mission. Please note that your cell plates in the SWG will get a nice cleaning as the Bio-Klenz passes through the cell. Be sure to super chlorinate when yiu add the appropriate amount of Bio-Klenz. The Bio-Klenz will loosen bio-gunk from your plumbing that will cause yiur free chlorine to go down as it ozides the planktonic biofilm.

Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.