Chlorine loss problem

If you got hit with ammonia your CYA would go to 0 and you would not be able to simply add CYA to up it without a process first of clearing the bacteria with a lot of chlorine. That was not the behavior you described.
Noted. Must be something else taking out the CYA

8.30pm FC at 12.5ppm. 1.5 liters of liquid chlorine added.
Good to keep at it. :goodjob: At the same time, hopefully you are looking carefully for any/all potential hiding places for algae. In a fiberglass shell, perhaps not so much unless you have a large pool light. Small LED lights not a problem. Look around/behind the skimmer weir door too. Brush the entire pool surface really well.

FC at 12.5ppm at 7am.
Still a consistent loss. Much more than you should have overnight. Any areas of the pool that could be hiding algae? You've brushed all surfaces daily? Something is amiss. Your math and dosage amounts appear correct, so organic stuff is somewhere. What about a main drain? Do you have one? If so check under the drain lid(s).

Still a consistent loss. Much more than you should have overnight. Any areas of the pool that could be hiding algae? You've brushed all surfaces daily? Something is amiss. Your math and dosage amounts appear correct, so organic stuff is somewhere. What about a main drain? Do you have one? If so check under the drain lid(s).
I haven’t had a chance to do brushing during the week. But did a good brush today and will do so from now on. No main drain and not much else in the pool so fairly straightforward to scrub.

Reactions: Texas Splash
It;s up to you, but typically during a SLAM Process we recommend leaving the SWG off and just using liquid chlorine to maintain the SLAM FC level. You tend to get a more realistic concept of how much FC the pool is using. SWGs can be a bit misleading in that regard, plus they aren't designed to maintain such a high FC level.

After your next scrub, if the water is crystal clear, you might consider doing an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test with the cell off. You may be close to completion. Just be sure to follow those two pages carefully for best success.

It;s up to you, but typically during a SLAM Process we recommend leaving the SWG off and just using liquid chlorine to maintain the SLAM FC level. You tend to get a more realistic concept of how much FC the pool is using. SWGs can be a bit misleading in that regard, plus they aren't designed to maintain such a high FC level.

After your next scrub, if the water is crystal clear, you might consider doing an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test with the cell off. You may be close to completion. Just be sure to follow those two pages carefully for best success

After your next scrub, if the water is crystal clear, you might consider doing an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test with the cell off. You may be close to completion. Just be sure to follow those two pages carefully for best success.

I have been running the SWG during the slam but always at 0%. This was so that the water would still circulate through the filter. Is this correct? My comment before re the SWG at 0% was not because this was a change it was just to emphasize that the chlorine loss has been reasonably low (especially relative to the start of the process)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Slightly better progress. :goodjob: Hope that a signs of better things to come. Maybe at some point post a pic or two of your water? One angle to show the steps and/or deep end?

Have you tested your CYA recently just to make sure it's still the same?

FC at 13ppm at 8am this morning. A drop of 3 overnight. A bit more to go by the looks. More scrubbing today!
FC at 11ppm at 8pm. Unfortunately going backwards from previous days. Changes from previous days
1. More scrubbing
2. Cover off for 12 hours vs 7 or less previous
3. Topped up water level. This would have diluted levels slightly. But I also use an old garden hose to top up water levels. It is solely used for this so is only used once a week and is otherwise lying in the sun. Wondering if this may be a source of issues?

Tested CYA levels and still at 40ppm.

I will post a picture tomorrow. But water is crystal clear as it has been for the whole slam.

Wondering if this may be a source of issues?
I doubt it. I do the same. Did everything look clean behind the weir door, in the skimmer, and under the skimmer lid? In your FG pool that may be the only place algae could hide. I probably asked earlier, but no large pool light correct? Just the small LEDs?

Slightly better progress. :goodjob: Hope that a signs of better things to come. Maybe at some point post a pic or two of your water? One angle to show the steps and/or deep end?

Have you tested your CYA recently just to make sure it's still the same?
See post below. Unfortunately not so good tonight. Thanks for the support and suggestions. Will try to source some Bioklenz tomorrow and see if that helps.

I doubt it. I do the same. Did everything look clean behind the weir door, in the skimmer, and under the skimmer lid? In your FG pool that may be the only place algae could hide. I probably asked earlier, but no large pool light correct? Just the small LEDs?
Nothing I could see in those places. I don’t think I have a pool light (house came with a pool). There is a 30cm diameter dome shaped thing on one end of the pool. But I didn’t think it was a pool light.

But I didn’t think it was a pool light.
Maybe post a pic? If not a light, it may be a cover where a light used to be. No telling what might be behind that cover. That could be the source.

What is Bioklenz?

Maybe post a pic? If not a light, it may be a cover where a light used to be. No telling what might be behind that cover. That could be the source.

What is Bioklenz?
Bioklenz was mentioned in the chlorine is disappearing thread. Will post a photo tomorrow morning.

Reactions: Texas Splash
So I went back and reviewed that very long thread. I also pulled up the MSDS for Bio-Klenz as well. Maybe @JoyfulNoise can interpret those ingredients for us? I'll be honest, I'm a bit skeptical. The OP of that thread struggled for quite some time and IMO there were some questionable issues along the way, or at least in communication throughout the thread some details appeared unclear. AG is a respected expert at TFP and his insight on hot tubs is well known. Some of the Ahh-Some related products have huge benefits for hot tubs, but those have unique demands compared to a pool. Not sure we can put them in the same boat.

What I can say is when it comes to excessive chlorine demand in pools, the SLAM Process process is 99.9% effective when followed properly. Organic matter simply cannot survive in a body of water that is properly chlorinated, or with an elevated chlorine level during a SLAM. Of course this is your pool so you are free to purchase any try such a product, but before you do I would investigate that cover in the pool to ensure nothing is growing behind it. Keep in mind TFP has coached thousands of pool owners through their algae/organic issue and we never recommend such a product, at least not that I can recall.

Because of your location, I'm also going to tag @mgtfp and @aussieta for some local eyes on your issue. Let's put all our heads together to ensure you get all the advice needed to resolve your chlorine demand issue.

A quick re-cap for any new followers:
CYA - 40
FC 16 - falls to about 11-12 overnight
FG pool with no drain or accessories, but does have an unknown cover against one wall (pending examination).
Using liquid chlorine to maintain SLAM FC level

Is your pool leaking? Do you have an auto fill line? If so, shut it off and do a bucket test to see if you have leak.

You can not go from 70ppm CYA to 30ppm in a few days. It’s just not possible unless the pool is leaking water. A water leak would also create a perceived loss in FC as well.

Reactions: aussieta

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.