Chlorine lock claim from pool store

jakeballard8

May 26, 2023
Chicago Illinois
20230526_180131.jpg

Hi,

I have about a 20k gallon pool have the correct pool test on the way but went to pool store in mean time. These were my results I attached my pool color and how it looks now. They claimed I was in chlorine lock and should pour 6 gallons of 12.5 shock in to get out of it but I have been reading that doesn't really exist his reasoning was tc and fc should be equal. What should I be doing here water is very blue just very cloudy is that just because chlorine level is very high.

Attachments

• 20230526_191945.jpg
    20230526_191945.jpg
    359 KB · Views: 19
Hey, Welcome to TFP!!! :shark:

Look at your pool store test results and read it as..."I don't know what my chemical levels are until I get my test kit."

Add 5ppm of liquid chlorine to the pool every day until you test kit gets there. Nothing else.

When kit arrives, post up results and we will get you fixed up.

Print this out, read it three times, keep it in your back pocket. Most likely next step when you get your kit...Link-->SLAM Process

Proof? Link-->How Clear is TFP Clear?

Season 1 Showtime GIF by The Chi

Sincerely,
PoolStored

Last edited:
What should I be doing here water is very blue just very cloudy is that just because chlorine level is very high.
Jake,

It is not because your chlorine is too high, it is most likely that you have algae and that is why your CC's are so high.

What pool stores normally call "Chlorine Lock", happens when your CYA is like 200 ppm.. Yours is 23 ppm, so even if Chlorine Lock was a thing, it is not your problem.

Follow PoolStored's advice.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Until you learn to use PoolMath, I'll tell you that 21 ounces of 12% strength Liquid Chlorine will raise your FC level by 1ppm in a 20,000 gallon pool..
26 ounces of 10% strength also gives you 1ppm.
Sooooo.... work the math up and put 5ppm in your pool daily, brushing the pool also will start you off well while waiting for your test kit to arrive.
PoolMath
www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Holler if you have more questions :)

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.