Chemical help on intex pool

Hope you got some spare filter cartridges! I would check them daily until the cloudiness is gone. I rinse mine out and run them through the dishwasher, and I retire them after 2 washings.

I dont have any dirt or dust problems, and am experimenting with full time pumping, only using a filter one day a week. The strainer picks up the big stuff, and a knee-high stocking on the output jet collects the little stuff. Trying to get the best flow from a limited pump!

Buy the best kit you can afford. I make do with something lesser; doesnt read shock levels of chlorine or CYA. I dilute the pool water with distilled water and multiply the test results.

I'm sure someone will come along with other options, but get the best you can afford. Accurate and regular testing means a sparkling pool!

I did see a 6 pack last night at BJ's for $10. I may pick them up. Or maybe if this doesn't work I could try it without the filter and just using the stocking. I am will to try anything at this point. Since the pool has gone up we've only been able to swim in it 2.

I would run filters if I were you. Your pool is cloudy, and just now getting 'regulated'. Run the filters!

I am experimenting, but I have been running Intex type pools for a few years, and I am starting from a clean pool with fairly stable chemistry {although the heavy rains are keeping me jumping!}

I went out and bought a hth 6-way test kit, bleach (Clorox 8.25%), Borax, and baking soda to replace all my pool store chemicals. I'm going to try this BBB method and hope my levels are good and you will now be able to see the bottem of my pool since it is one big white cloud right now. I tested my levels and they are.
Total Chlorine - 1 (this was after yesterday it being a 10)
PH - 7.5
Aklinity - 100
Total Hardness - 190
CYA - 0 (it did not get cloudy like the directions said it would)
According to the pool calculator it states I should add 9.9 oz of bleach.
Then it states to add stabilizer. It that the shock again? In the 1 week I have had this pool open I have added 3 bags of shock. It seems like every other day. Almost seems like over kill. I am still on the look for the dichlor.

Brickladyt, your HTH test kit will get you by, however, I don't think enough people emphasized the actual, absolute need for a TFT-100 (or Taylor 2006) test kit. One of those kits WILL be what saves you the money. I know, I bit the bullet for the big Taylor 2006C kit (get it from Amazon), but it gives me absolute, foolproof knowledge of the chemical state of my pool. I have been using BBB for a few years now, but this year I threw out my Intex salt water thing (because the salt was damaging my heater) and am using only bleach in my pool. So far, best pool experience ever using only bleach.

On to your issues......I would hesitate adding anything with stabilizer (CYA) in it. If your pool store actually was telling you the truth and you did have CYA in your pool.....well please retest. If you have to increase CYA, then carefully use up the shock (that should have CYA on the label, right?) you already have. Next year, just buy "Stabilizer" and use it instead of something with a bunch of Crud fillers in it. (hint: get a 4 pound pail from Amazon). Again, using the "Pool Calculator" to give you the proper numbers of how much to add. I will caution you, if you still feel uncomfortable using the Pool Calculator. Give yourself a bigger pool on the calculator, see how it changes things, then go back to your size and really get used to using it and seeing what it does. I suggest you either get a tablet to write down your testing results and chemical usage or create a spreadsheet on your computer to monitor your pool.

Now, let's look to next year. If you go with either the same pool or decide to get a bigger one you should only need three more things: your GOOD test kit, 2 or 3 bottles of regular Clorox, and stabilizer (expensive liquid or dry powder), that's it. Please keep that pool covered if you can, that will keep your chlorine from being burned off from the sun and keep a bunch of Crud out of the pool that you will have to filter.

Speaking of filters, when you get tired of Intex filters, search for the "Unicell" brand size of your filter. Buy two: one will be in your pump/filter and the other will be soaking in a big covered 5 gallon pail with some bleach and TSP in it. when you need to change filters, rinse off the one that was soaking and put the "used" one in the bucket with a little more bleach for good measure. That will pay for itself within a very short time. Unicell filters for our purposes will last the entire season and probably two.....at least I am on season two of one of mine.....

Good luck.

Bob E.

I would love to buy the more expensive test kit but right at this moment I'm just not able to get it. I have to work with what I've purchased. I have already put so much money into this pool in the past week. I'm starting to wonder if the pool store has done anything but make me spend money instead of help me.

At this moment in time I have no more super shock left from the pool store. Are you saying I should go out and buy yet another bag of supershock and throw it in again? This will be bag #5 in 7 days.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I dont think you have the Pool Calculator set up properly.

At 3282 gallons and CL reading of 1, it calls for 28oz of bleach.

As far as the CYA level of zero, it was 40 wasnt it? That stuff doesnt just disappear unless you added a lot of new water or drained the pool. Retest...read those directions carefully!

I put in size 3282
FC-
Now 1 Goal 3 My clorox states it is Sodium Hypochlorite...8.25%
Pool calculator states to add 9.9oz of 8.25% bleach. Jug size 96oz
Is this incorrect?

As far as the CYA level. The test told me to add 7 ml of pool water to tube. Add CYANURIC ACID REAGENT to 14ml mark. Cap and mix for 30 second.
Slowly transfer cloudy solution to CYA view tube until black dot on the bottem just disappears when viewed from the top. Mine was never cloudy?? Not sure why??

I'm not sure if that's why I can never keep chlorine in the pool. After using a whole bag of super shock (bought from pool store) and a half hour later adding chlorine granules is the only time I ever wake up to chlorine in my pool and it is completely gone come the following morning. So basically I get 1 day with a chlorine level and then it's gone.

I am determined to get this pool to look good and be able to swim in it safely and daily if it is the last thing I do.

Don't buy nor use the powdered shocks! Stick exclusively to unscented bleach.

You do need to go to WalMart and get Stabilizer/Conditioner. It's another name for CYA. CYA is like a sunscreen to protect your chlorine. Follow the directions for amounts via pool calculator and put it in a sock. It will take the better part of a week to dissolve.

If you want to start out fresh, and your water isn't expensive, just dump the water and start new.

You won't be losing but what you've already lost to the pool store and guess what?!!! You can swim as soon as it's full! We can get you started the right way and you won't have to wait for the filter to clear the pool. Everything will stand as it is... add bleach and CYA and go swim. Do you think you can start over?

brickladyt said:
I put in size 3282
FC-
Now 1 Goal 3 My clorox states it is Sodium Hypochlorite...8.25%
Pool calculator states to add 9.9oz of 8.25% bleach. Jug size 96oz
Is this incorrect?

As far as the CYA level. The test told me to add 7 ml of pool water to tube. Add CYANURIC ACID REAGENT to 14ml mark. Cap and mix for 30 second.
Slowly transfer cloudy solution to CYA view tube until black dot on the bottem just disappears when viewed from the top. Mine was never cloudy?? Not sure why??

I'm not sure if that's why I can never keep chlorine in the pool. After using a whole bag of super shock (bought from pool store) and a half hour later adding chlorine granules is the only time I ever wake up to chlorine in my pool and it is completely gone come the following morning. So basically I get 1 day with a chlorine level and then it's gone.

I am determined to get this pool to look good and be able to swim in it safely and daily if it is the last thing I do.

CL goal of 3?
Did you set the Suggested Goal Levels to "troublefreepool.com"

My target is 7.

As far as the HTH CYA test, I'm not familiar with it. Your pool store test said your CYA was good, and I'm betting it still is.

Starting fresh is really not an option if I can get away with not doing it.

I got the level 3 from the paper the pool store gave me for my pool. It states over 3.0 do not add any chlorine and stay out of the pool until the chlorine level comes down to below 3. But on that note when it was 10 they said I was fine to swim in it so may I will stick with the 7 range and add more bleach.

As far as the conditioner. I did question them on that since last year when I had the chlorine issue I hadn't added it either but when I asked the pool store they said with the intex pools it's not necessary. I'm starting to believe that is not true. If I add the Stabilizer/Conditioner to the sock now can we swim in the pool while it's in there or should I remove it?

Until you verify the CYA level, do not add any more CYA/Stabilizer/Conditioner, or any tablet or granule based chlorination.

You DO need CYA, it is like sunscreen for your chlorine, keeps the sun from burning it off.

You do not need too much CYA. It will combine with the chlorine and "hide" it from your tests, which will result in higher chlorine use. It will seem like there is no chlorine, while it is there, just hidden by the CYA! You may be there right now...

I used a pool store to test for CYA once a month, and adjust as needed. I test for chlorine daily and adjust as needed. I test PH and TA every other week, unless a lot of rain or new water has been added to the pool.

Ok I will bring a sample back to the pool store and ask them what my CYA level is. They just better not try and sell me anything. HaHa.

Also I'm not sure if it's just my eyes playing tricks on me but since adding the bleach it almost looks a little clearer than it had. Even though I put to small amount in. Again it could be my eyes hoping the cloudiness is actually clearing up.

My first year, I added algaecide when things got outta shape... Clouded all to heck!

When it comes to pools, and ounce of prevention is worth 2lbs of cure! Test chlorine daily, and keep a clean filter in the pump.

I try to buy pool toys when I go to the pool store, and leave the chemicals on the shelf.

I definately feel like there has been an over kill of chemicals being thrown in over a 1 weeks time. These were all orders given to me by the pool store.
Visit 1 they had me add
5lb of alkalinity up
2lb of calcium
1qt mineral magnet
1/2 bag turbo shock
3/4oz chlorine granules
Visit 2
1 whole bag of turbo shock
Visit 3
1/4 bottle TPP ALG 25
Visit 4
1/4 bottle TPP ALG 25
2lb Alkalinity up
2lb of calcium
3/4oz chlorine granules

Now it's to the point you can't even see the bottem it's so cloudy.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.