central pa
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I'm closing my pool blowing out the lines. I was using a shop vac that evidently didn't have enough power, my equipment being about 10 feet above the pool. I finally got hold of a cyclone that seemed to do the job. My only worry is that I was told I have a check valve to keep the pump primed since the pump is above the pool, and I was blowing both ways. Could that have damage the check valve since I was blowong against it? I was also told or read that the check valve is close to the pump. I can't find any fitting near the pump before it goes under ground that might hold a check valve. I Also read that they wear out eventually since I was blowing against it. I'm worried that I might have messed it up and I have no idea how to get to it.

Show us pics of your equipment pad and especially the area around your pump.

Without seeing pictures I can tell you blowing against a check valve is no different then water holding it closed. Your pictures will determine what is or isn't going on. Jandy check valves can be opened from the top and the spring loaded part that seals off the pipe comes out with the clear plastic cover which is another way to clear the line in both directions but then there are other kinds. As @ajw22 asked for pictures 📸.....

For some reason, it won't let me upload the pictures. It says they're to big I tried to resize them but it still didn't work any suggestions.

Turn off HDR on your phone.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I see no signs of check valves in the suction line of either pump.

I've been told they're in there, though. Equipment is 6 feet above the pool. So there's gotta be someway to keep the water from draining back to the pool. I keep the pump running. 12on 12 off. I've never had a problem. I sure would like to know where they are.

Remove the pump lid and stick a garden hose into the suction line.

Turn on the water and see if the water flows freely into the pool or backs up and overflows the pump pot.

If the water backs up there is a check valve stopping the flow.

The check valve should have been placed on an above ground pipe so it can be maintained.

How long does it take your pumps to prime after being off?

Reactions: wireform
Thanks for replying to me. I really appreciate it. Since I finally got all the water drained out of the lines I don't want to run anymore in it. I'll wait until next spring when I open it to try the garden hose test. With the pictures I sent of my equipment , and if the check valve has failed, would be possible to install one in the short expanse of pipe that I you can see? Thanks again for your help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.