Houston
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
I started SLAMing on Monday due to algae growth under a pool cover I thought would be a good idea. Turns out Houston winter just isn't cold enough to take care of the algae. So, measurements on Monday when I began were...
FC 0.4
pH 7.6
TA 70
CH 330
CYA 55
BOR 54

I added 2 qts of MA to bring the pH down to 7.4, then added 768 oz of 10% chlorine. Daily chlorine additions are as follows...
Tues am 83oz
Tues pm 128oz
Wed am 96oz
Wed pm109oz
Thurs am 128oz
Thurs pm 128oz
Fri am did not test
Fri pm 128oz
Sat am 83oz

Does this look right? I'm a little surprised to still be adding chlorine five days into this. But it went down last night. Water sure looks good. Very slightly cloudy in large beaker. Been brushing almost every day and running filter 24/7 since Wed (missed that at first).

Be sure to read the SLAM Process. Only testing and adding twice a day will severely stretch out the timing of your process. Also be sure you are brushing, vacuuming, etc daily. Your CYA level you show above is to be rounded up to 60 ppm. Your shared Poolmath logs are blank for some reason.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Been brushing but not vacuuming....should I vacuum to the filter or to waste, which would decrease the water level significantly. Better to filter and backwash? Recently bought a robot. CAn that be used or should that stay out due to the chlorine level? I just linked my Poolmath app to the website today, or at least think I did. Would it upload past readings or only going forward? Can't find instructions of Poolmath. Thanks.

If you have a lot of debris, then vac to waste. But normal amounts just vac to filter.
You can use the Robot as long as the FC is below SLAM level.
The data should be presented as long as you have had the Premium edition and have saved all your previous data each time you entered it.

Been brushing but not vacuuming....should I vacuum to the filter or to waste, which would decrease the water level significantly. Better to filter and backwash? Recently bought a robot. CAn that be used or should that stay out due to the chlorine level? I just linked my Poolmath app to the website today, or at least think I did. Would it upload past readings or only going forward? Can't find instructions of Poolmath. Thanks.
What were your chlorine readings over that period? That’ll be a better reference of what’s going on.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Turns out Houston winter just isn't cold enough to take care of the algae.
While Algae grows more slowly in colder water without adequate free chlorine it can still proliferate.
The trouble isn’t the use of a cover or closing the pool in your climate it’s with how it was closed. There’s a little more to it than throwing a cover on after its just too cold to swim & calling it good.
Next time follow this guide to ensure you close algae free & remain that way until opening
👇

What were your chlorine readings over that period? That’ll be a better reference of what’s going on.
Mon - .4 - Followed Poolmath instruction to bring FC to 22 and did this at 5:30pm.
Tues am - 19.4
Tues pm - 18.0
Wed am - 19.0
Wed pm - 18.6
Thu am - 18.0
Thu pm - 18.2
Fri am - ---
Fri pm - 18.0
Today am - 19.4

Added approx 2gal of chlorine/day until Friday, which took 1gal for the day added in late afternoon. Chlorine demand last night was a bit lower.

Mon - .4 - Followed Poolmath instruction to bring FC to 22 and did this at 5:30pm.
Tues am - 19.4
Tues pm - 18.0
Wed am - 19.0
Wed pm - 18.6
Thu am - 18.0
Thu pm - 18.2
Fri am - ---
Fri pm - 18.0
Today am - 19.4

Added approx 2gal of chlorine/day until Friday, which took 1gal for the day added in late afternoon. Chlorine demand last night was a bit lower.
Ok, so it started out losing approximately 1.5ppm per day even with adding 2 gallons. Now it’s down to 1 gallon and the chlorine level is holding or going up which is good progress. Once the water looks clear you can try an overnight chlorine loss test and see if it holds with 1ppm loss or less overnight and <0.5CC Once it does, you can wind down the SLAM.

I've not been measuring FC after adding chlorine until next time to add, so I don't know how much I've been losing...I just added enough to hit 22 according to Poolmath. So I'll need to start testing FC after adding chlorine in the evening. Is an hour long enough to wait before doing this?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
15 mins with good circulation is plenty. If you test everytime before and after, you'll be out of supplies quick. Maybe just test after once to confirm you're hitting target.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.