Changing out sand in filter

I would also ask why you think you need to change out the sand? Sand is hundreds of years old and does not go bad in your filter and is not regularly replaced in routine maintenance.

Most people who ask this question have another issue going on with algae or water chemistry and somehow the sand takes the blame. Of course there are legit reasons to change out the sand, especially if you added something from the pool store to gunk it up. Let us know why, and we can go from there.

I got floc in my sand as well as clarifiers I've been running all season. I checked out the sand yesterday and there is A LOT of clumping. I thought it just best to change it all out. Frankly, I've been running quite a few "magic potions" (I stole that term from another member @Mdragger88). I think it best just to start with a clean slate at this point.

To replace the sand you need to carefully scoop out the sand without breaking any of the laterals.

I think I know what I'm doing as far as getting the old sand out. I plan to use a "shop vac" to vaccum out old sand. But then when refilling? Fill halfway with water first? and then start pouring in the sand?

Reactions: Mdragger88
I think I know what I'm doing as far as getting the old sand out. I plan to use a "shop vac" to vaccum out old sand. But then when refilling? Fill halfway with water first? and then start pouring in the sand?
Fill with water to just above the laterals. That way you're sure the sand will flow under them without leaving a void. Or, follow Hayward's instructions from their manual:
c. We recommend filling tank approximately 1/2 way with water to provide a cushioning effect when the filter sand is poured in. This helps protect the underdrain laterals from excessive shock. (Be sure the winter drain cap is securely in place on drain pipe).

Reactions: Mdragger88
Shop vac to remove the sand? You might be there till next swim season opener. Use a piece of tupperware or rigid plastic cup to scoop and dump it in your wheelbarrow.

Shop vac to remove the sand? You might be there till next swim season opener. Use a piece of tupperware or rigid plastic cup to scoop and dump it in your wheelbarrow.
I removed 200# of sand from mine in short order with a shop vac. It takes a few dumps but It’s definitely better than scooping.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Stick with sand- you can always add a little de after backwashing to help with the finer particles without the headache that often accompanies zeo.

For information purposes. Can you tell me what the headaches are with zeo?
It is lighter than sand so it can get “blown” back into the pool with a higher rpm pump. With a single speed pump you have no control over this. It either happens or it doesn’t. This happened to me. I got a poof of gunk in my beautiful pool every time my pump came on.
In my experience it also gets clogged eventually & doesn’t backwash well after a time. It’s possible that it can be deep cleaned but I never attempted it & just replaced it with regular pool filter sand.
Mine started out white & fluffy but after 2.5 seasons it looked like used kitty litter. I never had a swamp or anything in that time.
People who have the ability to filter low & slow (vsp @ low rpms) and also who never have an algae issue don’t have as many issues with it.
It’s also more expensive depending on where you get it which may or may not matter to you.
It came with my pool and the installers refused to put regular sand. They also put mason sand directly in my step weight ballast and said it would be plenty to hold them down (not true) and that it wouldn’t grow algae (also not true).
The lower micron filtration that it is supposed to provide can be achieved with a little de so the other things aren’t worth the hassle in my opinion.
YMMV.

Reactions: Newdude
It is lighter than sand so it can get “blown” back into the pool with a higher rpm pump. With a single speed pump you have no control over this. It either happens or it doesn’t. This happened to me. I got a poof of gunk in my beautiful pool every time my pump came on.
In my experience it also gets clogged eventually & doesn’t backwash well after a time. It’s possible that it can be deep cleaned but I never attempted it & just replaced it with regular pool filter sand.
Mine started out white & fluffy but after 2.5 seasons it looked like used kitty litter. I never had a swamp or anything in that time.
People who have the ability to filter low & slow (vsp @ low rpms) and also who never have an algae issue don’t have as many issues with it.
It’s also more expensive depending on where you get it which may or may not matter to you.
It came with my pool and the installers refused to put regular sand. They also put mason sand directly in my step weight ballast and said it would be plenty to hold them down (not true) and that it wouldn’t grow algae (also not true).
The lower micron filtration that it is supposed to provide can be achieved with a little de so the other things aren’t worth the hassle in my opinion.
YMMV.
Thank you for the info. Considering I have a single speed pump, I would agree that Zeo is not for me.

Thank you for the info. Considering I have a single speed pump, I would agree that Zeo is not for me.
For someone with a vsp that can tweak operation it may be worth rolling the dice & may be no trouble at all. It’s also nice that it weighs less but that should really be a one time event if you don’t use stuff that messes the sand up. I suspect it’s weight is why many service techs like it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.