Central Texas Fiberglass Pool Build

I can live with the crack because we are probably going to use Sundek that will run down to the top of the tile line which will hide some of it.

I just don't like the white popping out now from the grout. It is very noticiable. It's not salt buildup....salt has only been in the pool since Saturday. It is actually a rubber type substance. If you push on it it gives, if you try to pull on it it will stretch. What is sad is that the tile has only been in for a week and a half.

They will have to send someone out to look at it.

That's the mastic then. They smeared too much on and it oozes out between the tiles. Then when grout is applied it is not thick enough and you get what you have happening. The proper depth for grout is the thickness of the tile.

Melt In The Sun said:
If that's indeed what the problem is (that's sure what it looks like), the solution is to carve out the excess mastic and regrout the entire pool.

This is what I thought and all the PB wants to do is to send the subcontractor out to fix the current areas. I tried explaining that this may be a process that would happen a couple of time during the summer as some grout may be a bit thicker than what has already fallen off. Drain, fix, dry, seal, dry, add water (at my expense) could happen 2-3 times this summer....taking away from our enjoyment time using the pool :( .

I am just so frustrated. The tile guy has been out 6 times and hasn't gotten it correct yet. Why won't they just listen to what is being said to them to fix it correctly :hammer: . No, they rather pay him to come out 2-3 more time. Ugh.

If I were you I would go around the pool with a flathead screwdriver or something hard and press on the grout and see if it crumbles. Don't scrape it, just press on it. Maybe do all of a two foot section just to see how extensive the problem is. If you are lucky it may only be thin in a couple of spots.

Ideally the PB would replace all of the grout. If he doesn't use the same "run" of grout the repairs will probably be a different color. Whatever happens, even if you have to buy it yourself, have him give you some and put it in a well sealing glass jar. Keep this in your house, not garage. That way if you need to you can patch some yourself down the road and it will match.

Your pool looks good and I am really impressed with the prep work under your concrete deck. I would be surprised if you ever have any settleing issues. But that tile setter needs to find a new line of work.

Finished pool. The sod is growing. The sundecking is completed. Can't wait until next summer.

Attachments

• View from the 2nd floor..jpg
    View from the 2nd floor..jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 101
  • Equipment.jpg
    Equipment.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 97
  • Backporch.jpg
    Backporch.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 97
Hey, no one replied to your finished product pictures 2 1/2 years ago, so I will. It looks great and I hope you are satisfied with the upgrade compromise reached with the builder now that you have been able to live with it for a while.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.