Census Poll on Intex Users

I ordered the Deluxe Maintenance Kit from Amazon over a month ago even though it was "temporarily" out of stock since it was about half what it was anywhere else. Well it is still out of stock. What I really wanted was a vacuum that works through the pump and a surface skimmer. I already had everything else. What I also had was a light weight 1.5" hose (that's what she said :( ). I took the strainer off and just stuck the hose into the outlet and it worked pretty good even without a seal, so ordered a vacuum head.

This week I finally gave up on getting the Deluxe Maintenance Kit from Amazon, so I cancelled my order with them and ordered just the Deluxe Surface Skimmer from intexstore.com for $19.99 plus $9.75 shipping. It was shipped FedEx ground and is supposed to be delivered Tuesday. Once I get the skimmer, there should be less debris to vacuum and maybe I can use the skimmer or its adapter to get an even better seal. One Amazon marketplace seller has the Deluxe Maintenance Kit for $69.95 and free shipping if anyone is interested, but I just couldn't bring myself to pay $30 more than the listed Amazon price. On the plus side, I ended up getting free shipping on a $10 book that I ordered with the Deluxe Maintenance Kit.

New Intex owner here. Got the 24' round. Crew coming out to level yard tomorrow. I have some of those cheap 12X12 inch pavers to put under the legs. Without going out there, I am going to guess that they are about 1 1/2" thick. My question is, do I need to get them to ground level, or can I just leave them on top of the leveled ground. I am also planning on putting the liner on top of the blue or pink foam. Thanks.

@ heather

you may have to vacuum sometimes but for sure not near as often. I cant remember does the 16' pool have 1.5" hoses, if so you just swap the pumps out.

@cna

Ive read that you would be better off using treated wood blocks. Some have mentioned that the pavers will crack.

foster400 said:
@ heather

you may have to vacuum sometimes but for sure not near as often. I cant remember does the 16' pool have 1.5" hoses, if so you just swap the pumps out.

@cna

Ive read that you would be better off using treated wood blocks. Some have mentioned that the pavers will crack.

agree on the pavers. the treated wood would probably be better. also get them level with the ground!

Thanks for the advice on the lumber, but I already have blocks, and I only have another month or 2 for the season here in northern Utah and plan on pouring a concrete pad for it next year. Do ya think I will be okay using the blocks for this year?

@jsf...you are saying that the tops of the blocks/wood need to be level with the top of the dirt? Does this hold true if I also have the linersitting on the 1 1/2" foam boards? Thanks again. Sorry...total New B here.

cna91 said:
Thanks for the advice on the lumber, but I already have blocks, and I only have another month or 2 for the season here in northern Utah and plan on pouring a concrete pad for it next year. Do ya think I will be okay using the blocks for this year?

@jsf...you are saying that the tops of the blocks/wood need to be level with the top of the dirt? Does this hold true if I also have the linersitting on the 1 1/2" foam boards? Thanks again. Sorry...total New B here.

yes, level with the top of the dirt. not sure about the foam boards since i did not use them but i would still think that would hold true. maybe someone else could chime in about the foam.

cna91 said:
New Intex owner here. Got the 24' round. Crew coming out to level yard tomorrow. I have some of those cheap 12X12 inch pavers to put under the legs. Without going out there, I am going to guess that they are about 1 1/2" thick. My question is, do I need to get them to ground level, or can I just leave them on top of the leveled ground. I am also planning on putting the liner on top of the blue or pink foam. Thanks.

The pavers and the foam board should be at the same level, just as if you were placing the pool on the ground without the board or pavers. Put the tarp on top of both and put the pool down.
Mike

We have the same pool as you and this is what we did: sold the 1500 gph pump on Craigslist, bought the Intex 2500 gph on ebay for $99 (inc shipping). Bought the Intex deluxe maint. kit from the same place on Ebay ($60). Coudn't be happier! The vacuum is awesome. Yes, it has parts we don't really need but we are keeping those as back up. It is perfect for our size pool. We got this pool because we are on a budget. It would be nice if Intex would just put together a decent all around package but I don't think they ever will.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've just installed an Intex Ultraframe 16' x 48" in the backyard of our new house. Previous owners, some years ago, had a big above ground rectangular pool, so the backyard still had pretty good level. I went ahead and did the sod stripping, leveled as best I could and installed 1.5" foam board (mine was purple because it's partially recycled). We're about 5 days up and running now, and I'm still trying to get the pH down. But will visit pool store today to get the CA and muriatic acid, I think that'll help.

I wish this site had a "search this thread" function. Anyways, I know it is a little early to be talking about this, but I live in northern Utah. What are the thoughts about leaving up my pool during the colder time of the year. Trying not to say the "W" word yet. :) Obviously if I did, I would drain it to below the level of the return. and take the pump inside. Thanks again for your time.

By the way, it is almost time to set up on the newly leveled ground

[attachment=0:1q1vp0tp]IMGP8230-1.jpg[/attachment:1q1vp0tp]

Attachments

• IMGP8230-1.jpg
    IMGP8230-1.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 314
HELP! Any advise for nutgrass (nutsedge ) that grew through the liner on my 16" round intex liner. I thought i did everything I should have. I first had the landscaper remove the sod in a 18" round circle,then I leveled the ground, had 2 yards of sand delivered, wheel barreled it from the driveway to the back yard, leveled that, set pavers under the supports, coverd the pavers with thin rubber so the liner can't come into contact with the liner,put down the tarp that came with it, bought a armour shield pad from a pool contractor and put that down over everything. I then added a saltwater chlorine generator, filled the pool, was in absolute awe of my fine job, I did it all myself, (51 year old grandma!!) I lost about an inch and a half of water in 1 week and thought that was too much for evaporation. Everything was great,after 1 week my hubby and I were floating in the pool when i got on a pair of goggles to check out a spot on the floor of the liner and i was shocked to see grass growing through the liner. That's why i was losing a bit of water. I emptied the pool , got a new liner, I put down IMAGE nutsedge killer down a few days ago, and am afraid to put the pool back up, Any ideas on something that nutgrass can't grow through? Thinking about putting down a concrete pad, but I don't know how much that would cost, or is that a crazy idea?? Hoping that the nutgrass killer works..

mcdonl said:
Hi there. I am new here, first post. I am in Maine and just put up a 15x48 Intex Metal Frame pool...
PS - How long does it take a 40" deep, 15 foor round pool with approx 4400 gallons of water to be warm enough to swim in?

Good luck with that! lol I've been to Maine for vacations and even in August, the water in Penobscot Bay averaged 55 degrees. Maybe a solar cover would help warm up your pool.

crispycruiser said:
HELP! Any advise for nutgrass (nutsedge ) that grew through the liner on my 16" round intex liner. I thought i did everything I should have. I first had the landscaper remove the sod in a 18" round circle,then I leveled the ground, had 2 yards of sand delivered, wheel barreled it from the driveway to the back yard, leveled that, set pavers under the supports, coverd the pavers with thin rubber so the liner can't come into contact with the liner,put down the tarp that came with it, bought a armour shield pad from a pool contractor and put that down over everything. I then added a saltwater chlorine generator, filled the pool, was in absolute awe of my fine job, I did it all myself, (51 year old grandma!!) I lost about an inch and a half of water in 1 week and thought that was too much for evaporation. Everything was great,after 1 week my hubby and I were floating in the pool when i got on a pair of goggles to check out a spot on the floor of the liner and i was shocked to see grass growing through the liner. That's why i was losing a bit of water. I emptied the pool , got a new liner, I put down IMAGE nutsedge killer down a few days ago, and am afraid to put the pool back up, Any ideas on something that nutgrass can't grow through? Thinking about putting down a concrete pad, but I don't know how much that would cost, or is that a crazy idea?? Hoping that the nutgrass killer works..[/quot

wow, sounds like you did everything right. i sprayed the area with roundup repeatdly and put down some liner shield before i put the ground tarp down and havent had any problems so far. i was also thinking about a concrete pad for next year as that would ensure a level weed free base.

When you prep your site you should treat the ground with nutgrass killer before putting down the tarp or anything else that goes under the pool. Treat the entire area, then after the pool is up, treat the ground around the perimeter of the pool. Keep any weeds or grass clear of the side of the pool and pull or treat anything that pops up.

I hooked an Intex deluxe surface skimmer to my pool today and wow what a difference. It sucked all the nasty stuff off the surface in about 30 minutes. I have had a terrible time with small flying insects in the pool. I seem to never be able to get them all with the manual skimmer. I would classify this as a "must have" for anyone with an Intex pool.

I ordered mine from the Intex store for about $29 shipped. After ordering it I saw it at Big Lots for $24 last Sunday. Big Lots was having a 20% off everything sale Sunday that would have made it about $19, but it had already shipped from Intex. Still well worth the $29 I paid.

cna91 said:
I wish this site had a "search this thread" function. Anyways, I know it is a little early to be talking about this, but I live in northern Utah. What are the thoughts about leaving up my pool during the colder time of the year. Trying not to say the "W" word yet. :) Obviously if I did, I would drain it to below the level of the return. and take the pump inside. Thanks again for your time.
I am afraid this got lost in the discussion of the board...any thoughts?

cna91 said:
cna91 said:
I am afraid this got lost in the discussion of the board...any thoughts?

i have seen reviews from people in places like michigan and pennsylvania who have left their pools up during the winter months and they were fine, so i guess if you follow the proper winterizing procedures you will be fine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.