Census Poll on Intex Users

bill022572 said:
Try using 4' x 8' sheets of styrofoam under the liner. That's what I used (1 1/2 inch thick) and is perfectly smooth and cushy underfoot. Just throw them down on the level ground and tape up the seams. Cost me only about $50 or $60 for a 16' round Intex. :cheers:

I was reading about that. Does it go under the feet of the metal frame also.

Im surprised the styro doesnt get crushed by the weight of the pool. But I dont know much about the styro.

newbie here.

this is our 2nd summer with the 18'x48" easy set running the intex saltwater system. So far no complaints with the pool itself. I did just order the 2500 gph pump and my plan is to hook the 2500 as normal and then re-plumb the one it came with to run just the skimmer with maybe a spray bar on the return.
I took a chance and left the pool up all winter and the only problem was my dogs ate the insulating cover on the plunger valve and it froze then cracked, nothing a pipe clamp and epoxy couldnt fix. We did have a stretch of sub 32 degrees with a couple of days less than 10 degrees. The water did freeze about 16"s thick and all the way down the sides but no issues.

Has anyone tried to plumb the input to draw water from the bottom of the pool. There has to be a way to DIY connect to the fittings so you could draw water from the bottom like an in-ground pool does. I just thought about this today, Im sure I could find a way but I was wondering if anyone has done this already.

bill022572 said:
jsf0656 said:
i wouldnt put them under the legs as they need a firm solid foundation to rest on.

I put the legs right on the styrofoam. It does crush it down but not totally. So far it has worked perfectly. Styrofoam is extremely tough - that why it is so hard to recycle.

i stand corrected. i figured the styro would not hold up and i dont know i just had a bad vision about the pool falling in. shame on me :hammer:

jsf0656 said:
bill022572 said:
jsf0656 said:
i wouldnt put them under the legs as they need a firm solid foundation to rest on.

I put the legs right on the styrofoam. It does crush it down but not totally. So far it has worked perfectly. Styrofoam is extremely tough - that why it is so hard to recycle.

i stand corrected. i figured the styro would not hold up and i dont know i just had a bad vision about the pool falling in. shame on me :hammer:

No need to beat yourself up - I took a chance and so far it is working well.

A 1/2hp pump would be more than enough for that pool. If you ever plan on getting a larger size pool you might consider a 3/4hp 2-speed or a 1hp 2-speed. The low speed on either of those pumps would be enough for that pool.

Bama Rambler said:
A 1/2hp pump would be more than enough for that pool. If you ever plan on getting a larger size pool you might consider a 3/4hp 2-speed or a 1hp 2-speed. The low speed on either of those pumps would be enough for that pool.

Ok thanks.

I just noticed a rock poked its way thru 2 layers of tarp and the liner. Im in the process of draining it know to remove the rock and patch the hole.

I just got my water chemistry just right too. this sux but live and learn.

I was going to drain it when I first noticed the rock but the wife talked me out of it. I just hope I can have it done by thurs for my B-day party. Its gonna be close this thing is draining slow but I dont want to flood my neigbors yard so I cant really go any faster.

Hello, finally got the pool filled, hooked up the pump and it sounds awful, it's pumping lots of water but sounds like heck. This is a used pool that I got from a guy that was moving. He used it here in Maine for one season then stowed it all away. I bought a new salt water system to use but am afraid to hook it to a pump that sounds funny. Any suggestions or thoughts?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
andyino said:
Hello, finally got the pool filled, hooked up the pump and it sounds awful, it's pumping lots of water but sounds like heck. This is a used pool that I got from a guy that was moving. He used it here in Maine for one season then stowed it all away. I bought a new salt water system to use but am afraid to hook it to a pump that sounds funny. Any suggestions or thoughts?

What kind of pump is it? What size pool is it? :cheers: Howie

andyino said:

we need more info, Pool size, pump size and type would help a lot.

Are you bleeding all the air out of the pump ? Mine sounds nasty if I forget to bleed the air after a filter rinse.

Also if it has a filter cartridge is it new ?

OK, yup some info would be helpful..... my pool is an intex metal frame 18x48. It's an intex pump, came with the pool. 1500 gals an hour. It is a new size A filter and I did as instructed to bleed the air, ya know , loosened the top till water comes out, shook the hoses etc. Am I missing something else?
Thanks, Andrea in Maine

I have the same pool and the same pump. The pump sounds funny to me too, almost like it is sucking air. It has been working fine with the SWCG for almost two months now and seems to be pumping fine, so I quit worrying about it.

Okay I just got an Intex 16 X 48 Ultra Frame pool. So far loving it. I too notice the pump rattling. I find it I empty each time and clean the filter it seems to start up better. I am still waiting on my cartridges to replace them. So I am left rinsing the cartridge daily! lol

Heres my question, I didnt get the DELUX Maintenance Kit with my size pool! But the vacuum that comes with it... (just the reg kit that hooks up to the garden hose) I think doesnt do the trick! I need the suction piece and a better vacuum. I go to INTEX website and I see the Deluxe kit comes with a lot things I have. I was wondering if some one would know what I would need to hook up a proper hose and vacuum to my skimmer so that I can have a cleaner bottom :D Please and thank you!

my 1500 gph intex pump was noisy from day 1, even worse when one of the blades on the impeller broke. Im confident the noise is because the impeller doesnt fit well, its a poor design. I just got the 2500 gph and it is whisper quiet, ebay for $102 w/ free shipping and all the valves and hoses.

Heather

you can by the pieces you need individually at intex's website, I have noticed that the vacuum body you would need is usually out of stock :( My dogs ate the vacuum body on mine, but I found out the hose in the kit fits inside the hose that attaches to the skimmer, so thats how I hook mine up. Doing it that way bypasses the debris net, but its all I can do since the vacuum body is always out of stock.

andyino said:
OK, yup some info would be helpful..... my pool is an intex metal frame 18x48. It's an intex pump, came with the pool. 1500 gals an hour. It is a new size A filter and I did as instructed to bleed the air, ya know , loosened the top till water comes out, shook the hoses etc. Am I missing something else?
Thanks, Andrea in Maine

you really need to upgrade the pump to a 2500 or a 4000GPH pump which will keep your size pool much cleaner. check amazon's reviews on those 2 pumps and you will see that people who upgraded from the 1500GPH to the 2500 or 4000GPH say it made a world of difference! :)

I had several Intex pumps starting out with the little 800 and going up to the 2500 and all were OK for the price until I bought a real pool pump. what a difference, only have to clean the filter once a month (prob. overcleaning but I enjoy taking care of my pool) instead of daily, cleaner water and great flow/pressure. Look on craigslist or ebay for a good used pump/filter and you will end up spending less.

Yes I do get from everyone's post I need a better pump. But remember I just got the pool.... SO this summer it is what it is! lol The pool was this years investment. So I was wondering what would be a good cheap option to keep the floor bottom clean till next year. I notice that suction vacuum piece is out of stock hence why i was thinking about getting the delux kit. Would it work OKAY for me? Get me threw the summer. The garden hose vacuum that came with the pool is a JOKE! lol

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.