Cell working but zero chlorine?

Jeff in Tampa

Oct 11, 2023
Tampa
I had a surprise water test of zero free or total chlorine. All other water chemistry OK except for high stabilizer (100 ppm vs 60-80 desired range. Hayward Turbo cell 15 has normal voltages, current, temperature and salt measurements, and local pool store tested it with 2 passes on their Hayward test equipment. Unsure what is involved in that test.

Could the cell look fine electrically and not be working somehow? Could the high stabilizer give a completely zero chlorine?

I have added a gallon of liquid chlorine in the meantime.

Thanks for any ideas!

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Before you assume the cell may be going bad, I would perform an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. That test eliminates the SWG and sunlight to see if you have excessive organics (algae) eating your chlorine. No SWG can keep up with algae, and the fact your FC has already fallen to zero with an exceptionally high CYA would support that theory.

FInally, be sure to update your signatrue with all of your pool and equipment info. It helps tremendsously with each post. See my sig as an example and the article below if you need help.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Before you assume the cell may be going bad, I would perform an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. That test eliminates the SWG and sunlight to see if you have excessive organics (algae) eating your chlorine. No SWG can keep up with algae, and the fact your FC has already fallen to zero with an exceptionally high CYA would support that theory.
Thank you! I will try this. I have no eyeball evidence of algae, but that cause does match the other symptoms.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.