Cedar tub motor size?

Gizellew

Silver Supporter
May 21, 2023
Genoa City, WI
I am looking for any suggestions/recommendations for the proper sized/type motor/pump for a 6 foot round, 54 inch deep cedar soaking/hot tub. I just have 1 suction and 2 returns with eyeball fittings, so I am not looking to power a bunch of jets or anything- just to circulate the water. I have 120v power set up for it (220 at the heater) and am looking to replace my old 1.5 hp 48 inch waterway 2 speed pump, that I used with a 6 jet tub, but now without the jets it seems like a bit of overkill power wise for my newly configured tub. I really just want something quiet and efficient. I would appreciate any recommendations/ suggestions. Thank you so much and have a great day!IMG_0934.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to TFP.

Quiet and efficient would be a 1.5HP VS pump running at low RPMs.

Welcome to TFP.

Quiet and efficient would be a 1.5HP VS pump running at low RPMs.

Thank you for your suggestion. I was wondering if 1.5 hp VS pump is more than I need. I guess I was hoping for something more like a circulation pump? Thanks again.

Thank you for your suggestion. I was wondering if 1.5 hp VS pump is more than I need. I guess I was hoping for something more like a circulation pump? Thanks again.

With a VS pump you run it at low speed nowhere near 1.5HP and the pump will be quiet and use little electricity.

If you are thinking of a "circulation pump" like what is used in a standalone spa we can ask @RDspaguy

Where would you house the "circulation pump" and what controls would you need with it?

What are you using for a filter?

Do you want to setup pool type equipment with a pump, filter and heater or something found built into a standalone spa?

Thanks again for your reply…. I have a pool type set up in the surround. Here’s a pic of the old set up. It’s wet low tech and simple- just how I like it:) but since I need to replumb ( had to put a new liner in) and the current pump is old…. I thought I might be able to down size the pump a bit. The heater, which you can’t really see is just a low flow canister type with a manual temp knob.

Attachments

• IMG_2106.jpeg
    IMG_2106.jpeg
    543.7 KB · Views: 5
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.