CecilB, new member

You absolutely can just not worry about using the SWG and get the hang of chemistry without it and decide to worry about learning it later (or not). Don't raise your CYA if you don't plan on using the SWG though. Keep it at 30-50. People do just fine without them.

[emoji176] Lisa P.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ok, folks, here are my new readings:

FC 2
CC .5
pH 7.2
TA 250 (AAAACK!!)
CYA 78 or 80 ...perfect if I'm going to salt.

Now...What about that TA??? Why is it so high?
Anyway, according to poolcalculator, I will:
1) add 9.8 oz of bleach,
2) add 13 oz of M.A. to lower pH to 7.0, aerating to bring pH back up, in order to lower TA
3) add .9 oz cya

My cya seems ok so do I have to add anymore cya?
What should I do about this TA?
Should I add the bleach and leave the pH alone, and then add salt?
HELP!

c

Thanks Lisa,

CYA is where it should be for salt, so if I decided to forgo salt, I'd have to empty again and refill. And besides we have the SWG so we should try to use it.

My question is about the TA? Why is it high, when the pH is low? Should I even pay attention to TA?

very perplexing

c

TA is actually one of the last things to worry about. You can lower it over time by lowering the PH and aerating it back up. I would only lower to 7.2 though. With a high TA, your PH will most likely rise fairly quickly, every couple of days. Mine was high back in April, and now it's down to 60.

As to why it is high, I don't know. I'm not that much of an expert yet.

For now, keep the bleach added to keep your FC up according the the FC/CYA chart.

Find out how much salt you need. Add the salt to the pool with the SWG turned off, but pump on. Let it run 24 hours before turning on SWG.

Once you get the salt in and the SWG going, you'll need to monitor your FC a little closer to be sure the SWG is set for
The right % and run time to maintain your FC.

Step by step and ask questions. Don't add any more Cya.

[emoji176] Lisa P.

thank you all so much! I'll do all you say...
I may test the fill water just to see what it is.
Next step will be adding the salt.
Today, though. Wow. It's just pouring rain pretty much all day. If this doesn't change I may have to invest in those uv lights so I don't slip into depression!
Anyway, I did add bleach but not the acid, yet.

Thanks again and I will keep asking questions!

c

So, it finally got sunny and hot. Didn't get to test pool till now and here are my readings...

FC. 2
CC. .5
pH. 7.6
TA. 250
cya. About 55

I'm going to add 24 oz. bleach, 27 oz. MA, and aerate.

kids have been in pool all day, so water doesn't look great, and pressure seems low on pump. No debree in baskets....

Can't decide about swg...either emptying more to lower for bleach, or add more cya and switch to swg.....

c

I have another idea for you..................You and I both know the kids are "adding" stuff to the pool. First thing in the morning on the days you KNOW they will be swimming raise the FC to just under SLAM level. As soon as they are out for the day test and add to SLAM level again.

With all of the kids you have swimming it might be best for you to use the salt as it will help you not have to use as much bleach. That is up to you.

I would do a short backwash to clear out the sand.

I am so happy with all that you have learned already! You have such good control over your pool now!

Kim

Thanks. Ok, I tested my fill water for TA. It's 375 to 400.

I have added bleach leach and the muriatic acid. Then we put in the salt, but realized the electrodes or whatever they are, need soaking for about an hour in vinegar. SO the pump is not running at the moment, but kids are in the pool aerating and moving the salt around. As soon as we can we will get the pump running again.

Could I backwash if the return hose is not hooked up to the swg?

I do not see why you could not backwash if you think it needs it. Of course you will still lose some of the salt but.........

I love the kids "helping" mix the salt in!

We will work on your TA in the pool when everything else is balanced. TA is the LAST thing to worry about. At least you now know that this is something you will need to notice when you have to add water using a hose.

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks, Kim.

So last night I did backwash while that return hose wasn't hooked up. The salt has just been put in, so it wasn't dissolved.
i added 8.5 oz, by weight, of cya.
and bleach and muriatic acid.

this morning I tested:
FC 2
cc. .5
pH 7.4
TA 225
cya. 95

I had just put the cya I last night, so maybe I need to allow time for it to dissolve thoroughly even though it has all come out of the sock?
I added a jug of 120 oz jug of bleach to get FC under shock level, as prescribed. And muriatic acid to keep working on TA.
Its going to be a very hot and sunny day, and kids will be out there most of the time.

We will turn on swg tonight. Should I still add bleach to keep it up to under shock level?

This is very addicting, you know. I'm afraid that once I have this pool under control, I won't know what to do with myself!

thanks!

This evening I tested - FC was at 23.

I am going to ignore testing cya tonight and for a few days because you all said that cya isn't accurate till about a week after adding it. So I am ignoring that...even though I did test it this morning and it was higher than it's supposed to be even though I added enough to bring it up to SWG levels. ahem.
pH was 7.6 and TA was 225.

I did not add MA tonight. Kids have been swimming all day. Pump is running with return pointed up. Good pressure coming out.

I will test FC in a little bit and record it to compare it to tomorrow's early morning reading, for the OCLT test.

Pool needs vacuuming, definitely, and is not crystal clear after the heat and bodies. And I will have to be adding some more water, which will be good for CYA but bad for TA.
ugh.

c

Thank you all so much!

This is my result for the OCLT:

FC last night: 27.4
this a.m: 24.5

I'd say that was more than 1.0 loss. darn!

I will need to order more R-0871, if I keep this up!
Unfortunately I had already added salt, which I did cuz I didn't want to empty the pool again and refill, cuz the cya was too high.

So the rest of my readings are as follows:
pH 7.8
TA 225-250
CC was still .5
Not testing cya till next week.

SO...I will go vacuum the pool, backwash a bit and then add MORE bleach to SLAM level, I guess. The thing is, is I will need to add some water to the pool. This morning water looked good - just junk on bottom of pool.

What do you say about adding acid? I mean, when I add water, the TA is going to rise again.
Btw, the water here in St. Mary's, KS, is notoriously awful!

thanks again for all your help and support...you all are the reason I have not given up and trashed the pool!

c

I would address TA after the SLAM. You will be able to lower TA through acid and aeration and keep it lower even with the high fill water. The PH test is not valid when FC is above 10.

Ok, so I shouldn't take into account the pH level, just get the chlorine up to shock level and keep it there a.m. and p.m.?

What about the cya? I had partially emptied the pool and refilled to lower the cya. I refilled the pool. Checked cya and it was slightly too high.
So I figured since we were set up to use an SWG, I would just increase cya for levels for SWG.
Now, cya registers back up to 100, even though I used recommended amount according to pool math.
And I understand that this means I have to use more bleach? But even worse, is that I am afraid I will run out of the R-0871, and won't be able to keep checking...

Since the cya was added two days ago, are those tests accurate?

You do not need to worry about PH during your SLAM.

YES, You will go through lots of R-0871 and BLEACH. If you didn't order the XL, you might want to.

It's ok that you added salt, but don't run your SWG during the SLAM as it will skew the numbers. Turn it off, unplug it, or put it to 0% output.

For your SLAM to proceed the quickest, you will need to keep
The FC at SL as much as possible during the day. When you are home, I would test every 1-2 hours and bring it back up. I also would overshoot the FC level anytime I couldn't test for a while (at work, asleep, running errands, etc). Always record your results and what you did. You will notice a trend and also notice that your FC is holding longer.

You will get tired of buying bleach and folks might think your crazy, but IT WORKS. and once it's complete, you will be armed with so much knowledge to be in control of your pool.

TA is the last thing to worry about. Once everything is in check, you can work on that. Don't stress over it now.

Keep your chin up! You've got this.

[emoji176] Lisa P.

They all have you covered. I just wanted to give you a hug!

Now talk to those kids about NOT peeing in the pool. Maybe even show them the test for FC to show them how much bleach you are having to use because they pee in the pool.

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support