CecilB, new member

I surely will! Thank you so much!
So we got a ton of rain yesterday. Today is nice and unseasonably cool out!

My readings are:
FC 2.5.....I added 15oz. bleach
CC .5
pH 7.6
TA 275 ......I added 30 oz. MA

The flow from the return is not very strong at all. I backwashed. Vacuumed a little, and backwashed again. And it seems like there isn't very much pressure - the gauge doesn't really seem to move from the position it's in - between 0 and 5 as far as I can see.

Maybe there is a blockage somewhere - that's what it seems like to me. There're leaves and hackberry seeds in the pool - but not tons. I mean, I really want to vacuum just cuz it looks so pretty to have it all so pristine. But leaves would get crowded at the opening of the vacuum, so I'd remove and vacuum a little more, but it just seems like the suction is not so great.

What numbers am I looking for for the TA? And when do you think will be a good time to start the salt pump?

This link will help you with the levels you want for each item.

Pool School - Recommended Levels

This next link will help you know HOW to get the levels you need.

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

This link is really neat to help you know how much of an item you need to get something where you want it. PLEASE play around with it to see how it works. IF you have ANY problems let me know and I will walk you through it. It does the math for you! Got to love that!

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Filter/gauge/return flow----------hummmmmmmm It sound like you need a new gauge it is not moving. You can order one from the link in my siggy for the test kits. They have a GREAT gauge. The ones you get from Lowes and such do not last long (ask me how I know :( )

return flow----have you opened your pump basket to see if it is full? IF you pump is any thing like mine there is a basket right in front of the pump. You will need to stop the flow of water out of the pool. If you do not have valves to close you can use a carrot or potato (yeah really!) to put in the holes!

Kim

Yes, thank you for the chart for the recommended levels. I have been using the pool calculator, too. That's why I'm trying to get the TA down by getting the pH down. Can't test CYA yet, cuz I ran out of the stuff for it, but I ordered it from the website on here. And I guess a new gauge will be next...also ordering some new fittings and tubes - we have pro-series pool that we converted over to an intex sand filter and SWG.
Yes, I check the pump basket. Sometimes there are a few leaves, but nothing really stopping it up. Unless something got down in the lines or something. We'll check that today, I hope.

I can't tell you how happy I am that I found this website - I'm almost giddy! So far the pool is clear and clean except for stuff falling from trees or coming in from the feet of the kids. I cannot believe more people don't use this for their pools! There's a residence in the neighborhood that has a very nice inground pool/beautiful landscaping...but you can smell the pool on anyone who swims in it - they have a pool service taking care of it!
I keep thinking that if, indeed, I am getting this (pool chemistry, etc) we might have to upgrade to something larger and even do some nice landscaping and make look less .... temporary!

So thank you all so much!
I'll be back in touch soon.

You ARE getting it and what you do not understand or get we will help you with!

As for why more people do not use this method-----------You can lead a horse to water but...........for some reason there are people who think it is too much work, get worried about putting bleach in their pool, do not want to buy the test kit, etc.

Kim

Good Morning Kim, and everyone else.

The gauge is actually fine. My son opened up the pump basket and it was clogged. I was just checking the basket on the pool...not sure of the names and I guess I could look it up...you know the opening on the pool where water goes in and there's the basket? Well, then it goes down into the sand filter, and there's a basket on that, too. Once he cleaned it out it was fine! But the water level is kind of high to jet the flow from the return up and out far enough to get it out of the water and aerate.

ANYWAY, I also put a knee high on the filter basket and I vacuumed. The pool looks GREAT!

TA is still too high - here are my readings:

FC 5
CC .5
pH 7.4
TA 250

Waiting on CYA test refills to continue testing that.

I added 22 oz MA after vacuuming and have it aerating as best as I can.
Weather is cool and cloudy. So unseasonal for July in Kansas. I wouldn't complain, except my pool looks so good but no one is begging to swim!

Thanks guys!
c

Good job son!

The first basket that the water goes into is the "skimmer" basket. It skimmers the water and takes out most of the stuff. The other basket is the pump basket. I wondered if that was where your problem was.

Look at how much you have already learned!

Kim

Ok here are today's readings:
FC 4
CC .5
pH 7.4
TA 225
CYA 105-110

So my CYA is quite high. I took the CYA test later compared to the regular ones, cuz I just got the stuff in the mail. Doubt that makes a difference.
So, must I empty the pool, about 24%, and refill?

I have not switched over the SWG yet - still trying to get the other stuff right.

What do you think?

c

Unfortunately, yes, a partial drain is the only way to effectively reduce your CYA level. :( Best to do that first before you adjust any more chemical levels. You have a small pool, and I see you mentioned a 24% drain. You certainly can start with about a quarter drain of your pool, or maybe even closer to half. But it's certainly up to you. You'll verify the new CYA level after refill anyways.

Sorry Kim, I didn't mean to jump-in on your thread reply. I wasn't sure you were on-line. :)

Yes, small pool - 3300 pro series.
We upgraded to intex sand filter and SWG. Since we have been starting over this summer and seriously learning this stuff, thanks to you guys, I have not turned on the SWG. SWG pools call for higher CYA, fortunately, so I won't have to drain half the pool! I did backwash a few times the other day, trying to figure out pressure, and we have had lots of rain and I have added more water to the pool, so I was surprised to see such a high reading! On July 3rd in the evening, the cya was between 80 and 85.
When testing, do you read it as soon as the black dot STARTS to disappear? Or when it disappears completely?
My TA is slowly slowly creeping down.

Kim, my water looks FANTASTIC! I am so excited because for all the years we've set up these "disposable" pools, I haven't ever tried to figure the chemicals out, and now it looks like I actually CAN do this!

So I guess I could just backwash and/or just drain for a bit...then refill. Kids are in the pool right now - why? I don't know - the temp is only 75! Well, water feels warmer when it's cooler out, but that water is not warm at all!

Anyway, any advice on the cya testing and disappearing black dot would be great! And any other advice you want to hand out!

Thanks,
c

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Texas Splash-NO problem! I just go home from lunch with friends! Good food with good people!

C! I am so proud to have been able to help you take control of your pool!

CYA dot-gone as in cannot see it any more.

-Go outside with the test and water solution.

-Turn your back to the sun.

-Hold the test at your waist and pour your water solution into the tube. When you cannot see the dot any more stop and see where the level is.

This is the hardest test to do. BUT one good thing is that you can do it over and over with the same water. Do it looking this way, do it looking that way until you have a pretty good idea. Squint your eyes, one eye shut, etc. whatever works for you.

OH! Go jump in that pool with those kids! LOL

Kim

That is high. It will make your use more bleach.

Do you think you will be doing the SWG any time soon? If not then take the water down (using Pool Math to tell you how much) to get your CYA down to 30.

Kim

So, what happens with too high of cya? I read a little - it makes you use more bleach? Anyway, I will drain some and refill.
I want to add salt, but should I wait for the TA to get where it's supposed to be? Or just get the salt going as soon as cya is right? Or maybe the TA will get better with proper cya?

You don't have to worry too much about getting the TA perfect before adding salt. Since your CYA is high, I would go ahead and only drop to 80 and start adding your salt. Don't add your salt until you get the Cya Where you want it because you don't want to just drain the salt out.

Have you added salt before?

[emoji176] Lisa P.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I, myself, have not. My son did last year, my hubby did this year...but then we completely drained the pool a few weeks ago. So no salt has been added to this fresh batch of water. So I haven't even been acting like we have an SWG.

We have partially emptied and refilled and I have the filter going strong, so I'll take some readings in a bit. We also got another good downpour. Strange weather - it's like May in Kansas, not July!

I will get the cya to 75-80, and then add salt. But then that's a whole new bit I have to learn! UGH.
I was actually considering forgetting the SWG and just act like it's not there. Seems easier at the moment!
Any advice would be much appreciated!

c

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support