Cartridge Cleaning

carinjensen

Sep 10, 2022
Northern California
Hi, I'm new to keeping my own pool clean (after a bad situation with a pool service). My Hayward filter is only a year old. EVERYONE tells me that the cartridges only need to be cleaned every 3-4 months, sometimes longer. I've been having to clean mine every 3-4 WEEKS. What a pain. This can't be right. Any clues??

Having to clean filter more often is many times an early sign of organic matter (algae) growing in the pool that has not yet progressed to the point you can see things.

We base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that we advocate that every pool owner buy and use an accurate test kit.

With your own test kit you can conduct an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to see if something not visible is growing in the water.

How much Pool School have you read? Start with these:

So, welcome to TFP!!

Reactions: Newdude
Hi, I'm new to keeping my own pool clean (after a bad situation with a pool service). My Hayward filter is only a year old. EVERYONE tells me that the cartridges only need to be cleaned every 3-4 months, sometimes longer. I've been having to clean mine every 3-4 WEEKS. What a pain. This can't be right. Any clues??
How large is your filter? What type of pump do you have? Why do you need to clean the filter so often? Pressure rise?

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.